Long range excursion for 2018 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The guys who have been making long range trips with me have discussed a lot of possibilities for a long range excursion in calendar year 2018. One of the suggestions was the Rubithon. Even though I would love to do the 'con in my own truck I'm not too sure I can afford to ship my truck completely across the country. Rubithon is usually held in mid-June although there have been years when it was pushed back to a heavy snow pack.

Last year's trip was a twelve day Colorado drive that was awesome. Ran the trip in early September to try to catch the fall colors and to avoid the summer tourists. I'd be open to another CO trip, as for the guys who went with me it was their first exposure to the wonders of Colorado. There's an awful lot of great trails in CO! Those who didn't make it can't realize what a blast it was!

I'll be going down to GSMTR again this year. Last year was my first time and it was a blast with the Capital City contingent. Crusha even won a winch complete with synthetic line! Not sure yet what the dates are but I intend to be there.

After seeing Crusha's album from Cruise Moab 2016 posted on Flickr I might be interested in a return trip to Moab. Man we had an awesome time out there and it was one of the best organized events I've ever attended. CM2018 is the first week of May. FYI, there is a group from the Yankee Toys gonna make the drive out to CM.

Looking to see who might be interested in such a trip. I'll posted a similar message on the Keystone cruisers site because a few of our guys have been regulars on these trips. Anyone interested feel free to chime in. Look forward to seeing what interest this generates!

There may be a few BBRC guys looking to join a trip like this. Lets keep the conversations going and see what transpires. I think I will be going to CO the first part of March but that is a little early to go wheeling, but it will involve Land Cruisers!

I am certainly interested in anything that comes up for debate. I’ll be likely for GSMTR. Doing a long trip to Greece in Late May/early June so that is the one difficult time, but GSMTR should be early enough.

Having been on both trips the last two years, they were both awesome and highlights of each year. My personal taste is to mix it up a bit, but both destinations certainly warrant return trips. Going to the South Dakota Badlands would also be high on my list. I’d also be interested in a more medium range option perhaps, having done long distance travel two years in a row. Something more 12-15 hrs away vs 1600 miles. Keep the suggestions coming and hopefully something happens.

Is my memory correct that the BHCC dates are usually the same as coal mine?

Yes I've heard it's a fun event hosted by a good bunch of people and that the trails are awesome.

Moab is amazing. We did a cross country trip in my 60 a couple summers ago. Unfortunately we didn't get to do any off-roading because we were on a timeline, but that area is phenomenal! We camped out beside my friend's airstream just outside of Moab. I've been out to Moab three times now and I love everything about that area.

upload_2018-1-1_11-25-26.png

I don't know what constitutes a long range excursion, but I've been thinking of the Hatfield McCoy trail (Bearwallow is the only one that allows full size vehicles, but seems to have a good number of trails) in WV, or Black Mountain in Harlan, KY. Both trailheads are a 6-7.5 hour drive from NoVA; so maybe this qualifies...
I would be especially interested if we could camp trailside within the trail systems, so we could make it a true excursion, where we plan a route with the goal of going in one day with all our necessary gear and coming out 2-3 days later.
There is certainly a large variety of trails ranging from easy to wicked.
I envision a trip like this requiring trucks with at least 33" (maybe 35") tires, a winch, at least one locker and no fear of body damage. The goal would be challenge ourselves by "going without a net", meaning there is no going back to the campground or trail head to grab a spare or fix your junk.
This kind of wheeling requires a different mindset from our usual trips to Rausch or AOAA. There is more spotting, more winching, more teamwork and less "just giv'r".
Kinda like a Rubicon of the East.
What do you think?

I like Stump's idea and Gary and I know just the guide (Jeff Dozier) to help plan a trip like this. This would be a longer version of the trails we did in KY last Spring.

I like the WV/KY idea, I have a baby on the due May 4th (no, were not naming him Darth or Han...) and after that I dont plan on going far from the nest for a while so mif Apr is about my cutoff. I hope to have sliders by then but wont have a winch.

I am leaning towards the Lone Star Cruiser Roundup in March. If anyone wants to join me. Great people, great music, great time, where the trails last forever and the party never ends!

I'd love to do a 4-5 day excursion. It'd be tough for me to be away from the family for much longer.

My CO/Moab/Rubithon trips will be quite a few years out.

I'd love to do a 4-5 day excursion. It'd be tough for me to be away from the family for much longer.

My CO/Moab/Rubithon trips will be quite a few years out.
That's why I was thinking there is a lot around "here" that we haven't explored yet.

I don't know what constitutes a long range excursion, but I've been thinking of the Hatfield McCoy trail (Bearwallow is the only one that allows full size vehicles, but seems to have a good number of trails) in WV, or Black Mountain in Harlan, KY. Both trailheads are a 6-7.5 hour drive from NoVA; so maybe this qualifies...
I would be especially interested if we could camp trailside within the trail systems, so we could make it a true excursion, where we plan a route with the goal of going in one day with all our necessary gear and coming out 2-3 days later.
There is certainly a large variety of trails ranging from easy to wicked.
I envision a trip like this requiring trucks with at least 33" (maybe 35") tires, a winch, at least one locker and no fear of body damage. The goal would be challenge ourselves by "going without a net", meaning there is no going back to the campground or trail head to grab a spare or fix your junk.
This kind of wheeling requires a different mindset from our usual trips to Rausch or AOAA. There is more spotting, more winching, more teamwork and less "just giv'r".
Kinda like a Rubicon of the East.
What do you think?
I would be game for something like this.

I like Stump's idea too. No idea what the trails are like or where they're located so I'd be blind following whomever is in front of me. We did some fun and interesting wheeling last year in the Slade Kentucky area with Jeff Dozier, some of you guys will remember Jeff from his days in PA. He might possibly be interested in joining such a group that would be up to him to decide of course.

This sounds good to me. My biggest problem would be fuel. I'd have to get some fuel can holders.

This sounds good to me. My biggest problem would be fuel. I'd have to get some fuel can holders.
Meh, you might need a Xtra can, 2 tops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom