Front Runner Drop Down Table review/install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chuy

07' GX470
Threads
I received one of these Front Runner tables with cutting board for Christmas, along with some other wishlist Front Runner gear. I really like the design of the table and it works great for food prep or whenever you might need a table . I attached it with different size self tapping screws to accommodate the contours in the door. Once attached its easy to use and is very secure. The retaining tabs required some tweaking to keep the table from falling down when the hatch door swings shut at full speed. After some adjustment the table stayed locked closed the entire time traveling the Seven Springs to Bloody Basin road.

I did a quick peek behind the door panel to see what I was working with and to avoid any wire and mechanical hardware when drilling. I also added some backup Sylvania LED's at this time.

y5ypdWA.jpg

After I measured everything and eyeballed the perfect placement. I used a combination of 2 1/4" and 1/2" self tapping screws to secure the table to the door. After that it just required a little tweaking of the compression tabs when closing the door, about 1/16" bending of the tabs.

bDDW5Ih.jpg

w2CFc7P.jpg

EQrB6Gp.jpg

This thing is awesome, the cutting board is un-treated but very sturdy holding a full pot of hot water straight from the fire. I would only use the wood portion more as an extension as the strength of the table is more on the metal frame.

MPf9fr7.jpg

exFfnzQ.jpg

I also overnight tested their hammock. From what I can tell its a clone or rebadge of the Eno double nest hammock. Very comfortable and verily little stretch compared to the Wal-Mart or cheaper hammocks. Overall a nice Hammock and awesome color scheme.

For their ammo box replicas, I have some amazing mods I want to try that should make this box the ultimate overland/camp box based on my experience with military transportation boxes/modules. The mods are super cheap and easy to do. This could be one of the most awesome boxes since ASP overland pioneer Autograph box design. I actually think my mods will make it a better camp box. I can't wait to order a few more extra boxes to experiment.

The Front Runner chair is nice but its also a GCI chair clone for a slight premium. Im not sure if the original GCI expander chair uses ripstop fabric but the Front Runner chair does. I have been using GCI PICO chairs for the past 5 years and this chair is very similar in comfort and design.

OAHqwHk.jpg

This was a super impromptu camp trip, just to play around with some new toys. My end goal is to have a faster, lighter, and easier camp setup.

Last edited:
Nice! I went with their under roof rack table setup but was thinking about adding one of these too. I’ll hit you up if I do!

Nice! I went with their under roof rack table setup but was thinking about adding one of these too. I’ll hit you up if I do!

Thanks, I really like their under the rack table design and roof racks. Its what led me to the Front Runner site in the first place.

Lean and mean is always cool. I haul a fold up camp table in my 40 on outings. As you can imagine space is at a premium in that rig. Was considering some type of food down table that I could run off my large 4plus swing out rear carrier. Working on a few ideas

Nice collection of Dpx knives. I love my lefty from them.

the table looks sweet. I have a question about having to leave the rear door open though.
I have a slide out for my fridge and wanted to use the drawer underneath for cooking/food prep, but don't like the idea of having to keep the back of the truck open. dust and bugs abound down here.
did you have any issues with keeping the door open?
I was thinking about making a screen that will hang just inside the truck, in front of the fridge when pulled out, that can keep the truck free of skeeters and critters, especially at night.

Nice collection of Dpx knives. I love my lefty from them.

the table looks sweet. I have a question about having to leave the rear door open though.
I have a slide out for my fridge and wanted to use the drawer underneath for cooking/food prep, but don't like the idea of having to keep the back of the truck open. dust and bugs abound down here.
did you have any issues with keeping the door open?
I was thinking about making a screen that will hang just inside the truck, in front of the fridge when pulled out, that can keep the truck free of skeeters and critters, especially at night.

I don't recall having any issues leaving the door open, the leather seats don't seem to soak up much of the camp fire scent compared to my Xterra that had cloth seats. When doing food prep in the evening I usually use the red light on my headlamp and turn off the interior LED's. I have had a fridge for a while now and usually leave the hatch open all day and most of the night. I only close it before going to sleep to keep the larger animals out. I have yet to lock in any moths, bees, or any other flying critters. (knock on wood). If I'm prepping meat in the evening all of the flies are usually gone and the red light doesn't seem to attract the night time bugs like my regular lights.

Nice! I have been looking at doing this on my GX but have been hesitant not knowing how it would work being designed for Jeeps. Do you have any more photos of the install?

I received one of these Front Runner tables with cutting board for Christmas, along with some other wishlist Front Runner gear. I really like the design of the table and it works great for food prep or whenever you might need a table . I attached it with different size self tapping screws to accommodate the contours in the door. Once attached its easy to use and is very secure. The retaining tabs required some tweaking to keep the table from falling down when the hatch door swings shut at full speed. After some adjustment the table stayed locked closed the entire time traveling the Seven Springs to Bloody Basin road.

I did a quick peek behind the door panel to see what I was working with and to avoid any wire and mechanical hardware when drilling. I also added some backup Sylvania LED's at this time.

y5ypdWA.jpg

After I measured everything and eyeballed the perfect placement. I used a combination of 2 1/4" and 1/2" self tapping screws to secure the table to the door. After that it just required a little tweaking of the compression tabs when closing the door, about 1/16" bending of the tabs.

bDDW5Ih.jpg

w2CFc7P.jpg

EQrB6Gp.jpg

This thing is awesome, the cutting board is un-treated but very sturdy holding a full pot of hot water straight from the fire. I would only use the wood portion more as an extension as the strength of the table is more on the metal frame.

MPf9fr7.jpg

exFfnzQ.jpg

I also overnight tested their hammock. From what I can tell its a clone or rebadge of the Eno double nest hammock. Very comfortable and verily little stretch compared to the Wal-Mart or cheaper hammocks. Overall a nice Hammock and awesome color scheme.

For their ammo box replicas, I have some amazing mods I want to try that should make this box the ultimate overland/camp box based on my experience with military transportation boxes/modules. The mods are super cheap and easy to do. This could be one of the most awesome boxes since ASP overland pioneer Autograph box design. I actually think my mods will make it a better camp box. I can't wait to order a few more extra boxes to experiment.

The Front Runner chair is nice but its also a GCI chair clone for a slight premium. Im not sure if the original GCI expander chair uses ripstop fabric but the Front Runner chair does. I have been using GCI PICO chairs for the past 5 years and this chair is very similar in comfort and design.

OAHqwHk.jpg

This was a super impromptu camp trip, just to play around with some new toys. My end goal is to have a faster, lighter, and easier camp setup.

Nice! I have been looking at doing this on my GX but have been hesitant not knowing how it would work being designed for Jeeps. Do you have any more photos of the install?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom