California Title and Registration of Diesels (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lucas- I'm also in SF. Purchased a 90 Troopy and arriving in January.

Unfortunately, I'm going to spend about 10k to have the particulate filters installed to meet emissions standards. Per CARB, there is only one grey market "Lab" that is able to install, test, and certify that car is compliant.

Below is contact information:

Grey Market laboratory approved by CARB is:
GNK Auto and
web: G & K Automotive Services | Conversion and Modification
tel: 714-545-9822 speak with George

1990 troopy is exempt DOT and federal EPA
in order to register in CA, need to have CARB certification, the average cost to modify, test and certification is ~10K,
parts are included: GNK will install DPF system

GNK is open: M-F, near orange county.

I got mine from cruiser outfitters and yeah it took a few trips because they charged me the wrong tax by $3 or something and they needed to inspect the vehicle but otherwise pretty straightforward however it must must must be in another state prior to bringing to cali. There were a few eyebrows raised but once I explained it to them they just nodded their head and that was that. this was 1 year ago

Lucas- I'm also in SF. Purchased a 90 Troopy and arriving in January.

Unfortunately, I'm going to spend about 10k to have the particulate filters installed to meet emissions standards. Per CARB, there is only one grey market "Lab" that is able to install, test, and certify that car is compliant.

Below is contact information:

Grey Market laboratory approved by CARB is:
GNK Auto and
web: G & K Automotive Services | Conversion and Modification
tel: 714-545-9822 speak with George

1990 troopy is exempt DOT and federal EPA
in order to register in CA, need to have CARB certification, the average cost to modify, test and certification is ~10K,
parts are included: GNK will install DPF system

GNK is open: M-F, near orange county.

yeah it needs to be from another state and have all the required paperwork from the original import. I would never try to import one myself to california from japan

mine was also a diesel so it was smog exempt idk about gasoline trucks...but why import if its not diesel?

I have not read every response in this thread, but there are been some good concerns and advice brought up that I thought I should ask for my own specific example.

I am currently trying to import my 1988 LJ70 2LT from Europe to the US. I have owned it for 3 years. We are military, home of record in CO but getting stationed in CA. It does have the sticker in the door jam that is so faded you can only read a couple numbers. Would this be enough for the CA DMV to assume my emissions are all good? If I registered it in CO would I need to drive it from CA to Co to register it? I would love any and all advice on help with this. I am not willing to drop $10K to get it up to standards as I am trying to import to sell. Thank you!

DO NOT try to register in CA first!!!!!!!
If you don't have a permanent residence in CA don't even bother. Yes the law states you have to register the vehicle from another state if you live here temporarily, but register the vehicle in a free state first. For about a year, then try the best you can to plate it in CA. I still don't a point in doing so anyway.

CA does not care how clean the emissions are on your vehicle, it only cares if it was ever officially imported in US (which in your case it was not). CA does not care about the federal 25 year old rule.
CA does not care if diesels were sold new in other states, if the manufacturer did not make a specific CA version of it, you could not register the vehicle as new in CA. It had to be brought in as a used vehicle (at least 6 months old) and then be able to register the vehicle.
Multiple examples here.

If any cop pulls you over in CA and you have an outside of the state plate, simply tell him you are visiting family. Hopefully you can match your Driver's license to your lie and your plates.
It would be very suspicious if you have a CA DL, CO plates, CA address on your insurance.

Or just say, I just drove it here 2 days ago and plan on getting it plated within the next 2 weeks.

@calux what's the latest on your situation? I'm here in SF in damn near the exact same scenario. Have a 1991 LJ71 (diesel) originally imported from Japan to NC then driven around NC for a year. Bought it over thanksgiving and had it shipped here. Like you I tried AAA at first but had the exact same experience. Since then I've been to the DMV 3 times, they eventually referred me to CHP to get the VIN verified. Waiting for that appointment to happen but noticed I appear to be missing the US Federal Certification Label / have no EPA sticker and have officially started panicking.

Ugh man that sucks. I'm going to be honest with you, I wouldn't be too confident in your ability to get your rig registered and titled here. See the following: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...cc6/ch12_nonresident_vehicles.pdf?MOD=AJPERES. CHP won't have an issue verifying the VIN. The issue, as you rightly pointed out, will be the USEPA sticker that isn't in the door jamb or under the hood.

Tell me I'm interpreting this correctly: that I can import and drive my truck with Euro plates without doing any real importing because we are Military stationed in Spain and own the vehicle and have registered it on base in our name.

12.080 Military Personnel (CVC §6701)

Military personnel, including California residents, who are military members or the nonresident spouse of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces returning from active duty in a foreign state and military and civilian members of NATO who are not citizens of the United States are permitted to operate a vehicle (including trailer coaches) in California with valid license plates from either the:

• Individual’s home state or country.

• State or country where the individual was regularly assigned and stationed when the license plates were issued.

The requirements are:
• The vehicle must be owned by the military member or their spouse.
• The vehicle must be currently registered.
• The vehicle must display valid license plates issued to the military person or

their spouse by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or by a jurisdiction claimed as the permanent state of residence by the nonresident military person.

• The vehicle cannot be a commercial vehicle used in a business manner from which the military member or their spouse receives compensation.

• If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has in force one of the forms of nancial responsibility speci ed in CVC §16021.

Refer to the Determining the Date Fees Become Due section in this chapter for procedures.

Note: For military personnel assigned to Washington, D.C., consider Maryland or Virginia the state where stationed.

Note: Military orders do not include military orders for leave, for temporary duty, or for any other assignment of any nature requiring the military person’s presence outside the foreign jurisdiction where the owner was regularly assigned and stationed for duty.

Note: O cers of the Public Health Service are entitled to all rights, privileges, immunities, and bene ts provided under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act of 1940. They do not have to be on duty with the U.S. Armed Forces.

IMG_5319.jpg

You can operate under a temporary license in CA. For example embassy or consulate officials can drive their own cars from their countries here, (cars which were never sold in US, never passed safety or emission tests), but upon departure from the country the car must be shipped outside of the country. It will not be permanently registered.

Yes, there were exceptions. I've seen a few.

A lot of importers use FL as the first state of registration, then sell the cars in other states. I hope that helps a little.

Tell me I'm interpreting this correctly: that I can import and drive my truck with Euro plates without doing any real importing because we are Military stationed in Spain and own the vehicle and have registered it on base in our name.

12.080 Military Personnel (CVC §6701)

Military personnel, including California residents, who are military members or the nonresident spouse of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces returning from active duty in a foreign state and military and civilian members of NATO who are not citizens of the United States are permitted to operate a vehicle (including trailer coaches) in California with valid license plates from either the:

• Individual’s home state or country.

• State or country where the individual was regularly assigned and stationed when the license plates were issued.

The requirements are:
• The vehicle must be owned by the military member or their spouse.
• The vehicle must be currently registered.
• The vehicle must display valid license plates issued to the military person or

their spouse by the foreign jurisdiction where the military person was last regularly assigned and stationed for duty by military orders or by a jurisdiction claimed as the permanent state of residence by the nonresident military person.

• The vehicle cannot be a commercial vehicle used in a business manner from which the military member or their spouse receives compensation.

• If the vehicle is a motor vehicle, the owner or driver has in force one of the forms of nancial responsibility speci ed in CVC §16021.

Refer to the Determining the Date Fees Become Due section in this chapter for procedures.

Note: For military personnel assigned to Washington, D.C., consider Maryland or Virginia the state where stationed.

Note: Military orders do not include military orders for leave, for temporary duty, or for any other assignment of any nature requiring the military person’s presence outside the foreign jurisdiction where the owner was regularly assigned and stationed for duty.

Note: O cers of the Public Health Service are entitled to all rights, privileges, immunities, and bene ts provided under the Soldiers and Sailors Relief Act of 1940. They do not have to be on duty with the U.S. Armed Forces.

View attachment 1602489

Based on my experience, if I were you I would call CARB and get them to verify EVERYTHING, in writing. Same with the DMV. They are great at avoiding responsibility and shifting blame to others.

I have read through this thread but it is still unclear to me what the situation is like in 2018 for registration of diesel cruisers in California. It seems like you have to know the right people or just get lucky to avoid the CARB required modifications?

I am guessing my gas powered FJ73 will even more difficult to register in California?

I have been reaching out to several importers asking them about the current issues they have with CA and importing here. I will post their replies when they come in, it if anyone had any info, letters they get etc from CARB/DMV it would be interesting to see what they say.

My 1988 (or 87) LJ70 is on it's way to CA at the moment. I'll update you with what happens when it gets there late March. I am assuming I'll drive it with European plates for a bit and then register in CO first per military exemptions. Then register in CA at a later date. Good luck to everyone!

I have a diesel 1990 Mitsubishi Pajero. Titled and registered now in Wisconsin. Not sure if I can get it registered in CA. One of the hurdles is the vin verification. The private services I have researched so far in Bay Area don't deal with vehicles without US Federal Emission label. Anyone who had success recently in SF Bay Area with vin verification?

Call a few others, venture out of the metro areas into places where life is a little simpler and people are more "understanding". I had the same issue until I found one that was supportive of the cause out in the boonies of socal. Same with choosing the DMV that you go to, I would highly recommend going to one outside the major cities. Try to eyeball the attendant that looks like they might be the kind of person that drives a VW thing to work versus, a hybrid lexus. Forget all the rules and regs, in reality the entire experience is totally subjective, and the fate of your cruiser's legal citizenship in California is dependent upon the DMV employee's mood that day.

The VIN verification form recently changed and any vehicle without an EPA label will be referred to CHP for inspection. They've taken a lot of subjectivity out of the process. :(

It seems like bottom line is that current situation is that the vehicle must have the US Federal Certification Label (Safety Label) or you are pretty much f*ked.

From what I have seen on this forum though, it seems like many got in before the laws got tougher, breaking the state laws, or just simply got lucky. I guess California isn't for me.

This is the response I got from ARB about my 1988 LJ70 that is currently on a ship heading to CA. Oh boy.

"You are able to find California’s greymarket information on ARB’s websiteRegistering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California.
The vehicle in question would be subject to California’s emissions standards and registration requirements. Given the year and that it is a diesel vehicle it would not be able to be registered in California as there is not a conversion process for such vehicles. Registering the vehicle in another state or home state first would not change the requirements, it would be subject to the greymarket regulation if the vehicle was attempted to be brought here."

IMG_5707.PNG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom