Dead pedal liner/cover - my attempt at fixing WeatherTech's shortcoming. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shortly after purchasing my 200 I picked up a set of WeatherTech floor liners. They seemed to be the most popular aftermarket mat per this forum. However, WeatherTechs do not cover the dead pedal for some reason (I'm not sure why). When the driver's left foot is placed on the dead pedal, dirt/debris stain the carpet around the pad; I've also found that sand picked up from my shoe tends to fall underneath the mat at the base of the dead pedal. The Husky WeatherBeaters in my Tacoma covered the foot rest to eliminate this problem, but I was unable to find WBs for the 200-series - I digress.

I decided to do something about it and picked up a 6"x12" sheet of 1/8" ABS plastic on eBay for $3.49 shipped. This is an ideal product for the application as one side is textured (to match WeatherTech's finish) and the other side smooth for easy adhesion with 3M Velcro strips:
IMG_3328.jpg

After a half hour of forming it with a heat gun I trimmed the sheet down and came up with this final product:
IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3320.JPG

I then used some 3M HD black Velcro strips (two to be exact) to adhere the dead pedal cover to the plastic pad on the foot rest:
IMG_3321.JPG

Installed on top of the dead pedal and WeatherTech mat:
IMG_3327.JPG

I decided to leave the top 1.5" of the pad exposed as my foot does not rest much higher than about an inch or so above the top of the floor liner. I also found that the bigger the piece of ABS, the more wobbly and unstable it was on the dead pedal. Therefore, I trimmed it to only protect the area needed. A lip was left on the side to protect the OEM kick panel from the edge of my boot.

Time will tell how well this works, but for $3.49 it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the write-up. I'm definitely going to do this. The Weathertech don't do well in that area at all. This time of year my boots are always snowy/salty/muddy and whatever is on the boot from about the heel up just drips down behind the Weathertech on the dead pedal and makes a mess underneath with the carpet. To add insult to injury, whatever gets under the Weathertech just sits wet all winter because it's covered and can't evaporate. Your solution looks like it works and looks good. I think I'll make mine go further to the right, since I'm not always right on the dead pedal.

@Sandroad - as a man who wears boots 9/10, I feel your pain.

Valid point regarding the right side of the dead pedal. In the event of the cover getting knocked loose, I didn't want to risk it interfering with the operation of the brake pedal - but to be honest, I think that is highly unlikely. If your intent is to cover that area, I would order maybe a 10"x12", or 12"x12", sheet to ensure you have enough material to cover that area. This project was so easy I may pick up a 12"x12" sheet and give it a shot, though my foot doesn't rest in that area - more coverage is better. A piece of hook (male) Velcro could certainly be affixed to the back of the sheet to hold t against the carpet.

I am so stealing this idea... Thanks!

@Sandroad , @KLF , and anyone else who desires to undertake this project - sbautomation679 is the eBay vendor out of Ocala, FL. He shipped the same day, excellent service.

Also, something to note, when heating the ABS, I warmed the back (glossy) side of the sheet with my heat gun to avoid melting the textured finish.

Nice. This is a big deficiency in the WeatherTech mats. Especially in the northern states like @Sandroad said.

I’ve always bought weathertech mats but this time I went with Husky, the Husky are better in every way don’t think I will be getting WeatherTech anymore.

View attachment 1602107

Those look great. Where did you pick them up? On the Husky website, they don't list anything for the 2008 LC or LX, so I tried searching for a 2013 instead and of course they show up there. I may order a set especially if I can find a discount code somewhere.

I’ve always bought weathertech mats but this time I went with Husky, the Husky are better in every way don’t think I will be getting WeatherTech anymore.

View attachment 1602107

Good to know! When I searched for liners last year I used the Cabelas site, which carries both Weathertech and Husky. Nothing showed up for the Land Cruiser under Husky, so I went with Weathertech. That Husky coverage looks a lot better in critical areas and I see that Husky lists them for an LCif you use the Husky site directly. Given that I'm almost always in either sand or snow with my LC, I think I'll invest in a front set and see how they do.

They fit really good, you will need to move the front seats all the way forward to get the 2nd row mat in.

Man - that Husky design makes so much more sense. I own the Weathertechs as well - only because I couldn't find any other alternative a few years ago when I was looking. I'll try this mod at least...thanks for the idea!

I got mine off eBay, $150 for the front and 2nd row with best offer:

Husky Weatherbeater 2013-2017 Land Cruiser/LX570 Front and Rear Floor Mats BLACK | eBay

@ckkone or anyone else who may know,

Any idea if the floor mounting system (hooks) changed on the 2013 model update? I have a 2011, but am tempted to return my WeatherTechs and order a set of Husky's with the New Years promotion.

I noticed on Husky's webpage their generic (non-molded) liner is listed for the 2011 LC, but not the molded liner linked above.

If they'll fit in a 2011, I'm game.

Last edited:

View attachment 1602107

@ckkone - thanks for posting the photo of your Husky Liners. The more I thought about it, the more it ticked me off that i had to "fix" WeatherTech's lack of coverage. I checked eBay and was within the 60-day return window for the WeatherTechs that were purchased from the company's eBay storefront. I initiated the return and ordered a set of 2013+ Husky Liners as soon as the PayPal refund hit my account.

I installed the Huskies today. Wow... what a great product. They are much thicker and more rigid than the WeatherTechs; the coverage is also superior. The floor hooks of course do not line up, but I expected that (I have a 2011). I removed the OEM hooks and will get a set of plugs to fill the four holes in both front liners. The hooks are not needed anyway, the mats are so rigid and well-made that they stay in place naturally.

I hope this helps out someone else who is contemplating WeatherTech's floor liners. If anyone is in the Fayetteville, NC area and wants the ABS dead pedal cover I made, you're welcome to it.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention I also bought the Husky liners and installed in my 08 LX. Only one of the OEM floor hooks mated up with the mats, but it's more than enough because of all the spikes on the bottom of mats holding it in place. Autoanything has the mats for 10% off plus an additional 18% off right now with code "NEWYEAR18" which makes these quite affordable.

ADB17C47-4D12-4EAB-97BE-FC1754273C17.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom