Welcome to Veterans' Highway! (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi JJ, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

Hi Devin, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. With the skills you have acquired as a Crew Chief, do you do plumbing in your your sleep? Nice Land Cruiser.

Larry in El Paso

Hi Devin, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service. With the skills you have acquired as a Crew Chief, do you do plumbing in your your sleep? Nice Land Cruiser.

Larry in El Paso

Thanks, not quite that good, but I am pretty much completely diy. I remind myself that if I can fix a helicopter I can do this.

Welcome DevWin, nice ride and cool photo of you on the ramp. Good people here

Welcome Jay.

Good Morning,

@Chungas Revenge suggested we create a thread or a forum to contain 'all things Veteran'. Chungas noticed that there are a lot of Vets who have developed a relationship with these old beauties that we all prize.

@woody is going to review this, when he has time and will decide where/how to best host this on IH8MUD.

Vets: Please let everyone know who you are and, please, let's leave religion and political discussions to other threads/forums/websites...no need to start a battle here.

Please tell as much or as little, about yourself, as you like... but give us a first name, branch of service and period of service.

I'll start...

I'm Danny Staggs, SMSgt USAF Retired May '68 - Aug 88

I started my career in Computer Operations and moved to programming in '80

During my Air Force career,
I spent time in Tripoli, Libya, Cheyenne Mountain, CO, Tucson, AZ, San Antonio, TX, Brunssum, The Netherlands and I retired in Austin, TX.

Also temporary duty (TDY), of one sort or the other to: Amarillo, TX; Wichita Falls, TX; Biloxi, MS; The White House Communications Agency; Ramstein AB, GE; and numerous NATO exercises in various underground locations though out Belgium and Germany.​
I completed my second (civilian software development) career in Jul '11 and retired to pursue other interests.

When we moved to a small townhouse in North Las Vegas, NV, I had to find new interests and decided that I really wanted to explore the great outdoors all around Las Vegas... The Big Empty is just that and it has become my playground.

I found that the best way to explore is with (IMHO) the perfect vehicle for just such activities, the FJ40. I found '44' in Sherman, TX and had it delivered.

Then I set about trying to figure out the best way to maintain my old beauty and decided, in short order, that I needed to learn the care and feeding myself... there is no one else to rely upon, when you venture into extremely remote areas.

Unfortunately, 44 has developed a dead cylinder... so, I've decided to have my 2F rebuilt and will deliver it locally next week, for open heart surgery.

I'll be without 44 for 4-6 weeks and will be playing in my Tundra, during 44's downtime.

I explore with Sgt Gunner, my 9 year old (on Veterans' Day) Golden Retriever, he's my co-pilot. I lost my 12.5 year old friend, Mr Parker, in July, 2014 and have recently found another (future) navigator, Sir Windsor Chesterfield (Chester). He will be accompanying Gunner and I, once he has all shots and is medically released by or Flight Surgeon.

I've got to leave for Dr Appts now ... Please feel free to run through my 'build' in my signature below.

Regards!​

Salute to everybody! Awesome thread, appreciate you’s.

I spent near four years, 1986-1990 on the ‘Proud Lady of the Pacific’, the USS Okinawa LPH3.
Landing Platform Helocopters that is. Or was, it’s a reef now :frown:, but was a marine transport amphibious assault ship. I started on the flight deck, worked my way into the photo lab shortly after. Good duty! Circumnavated the globe we did. Loved it, even the mine sweeping in the gulf :eek:..but nothing like what many of you all went thru! Salute!
Discharged honorably in ‘90 as a PH2. E5. Moved back to Montana in 92, landed in the freight industry and met my first love at a pawnshop in Butte, she’s a 1965 FJ40. She died in 95, but gave her a heart transplant of a 1970 with a pto upgrade and keep showing her the love to this day. War paint coming soon!

:beer:

Here’s a few from back in the day, and of the cruiser:

44EC0A8B-8E7D-4AD1-8100-4A2E0C326806.jpeg

76BEA5C1-DB1D-4A61-AA0D-80069E4BFC34.jpeg

3724008E-07BD-44E4-8399-D25F009C2273.jpeg

09811ADF-498B-4696-BDFA-778B24F0675D.jpeg

61B64892-3F24-403C-B0ED-2CE6C4E0D0B8.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello Jason, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

Hi Cruzer Bruzer, welcome to the highway. Thanks for your service.

Larry in El Paso

Welcome to both Jason and Cruzer Bruzer. Thanks for your service to our great country. Lots of good folks on this forum.

My name is Jim Sickles, previous owner of Downey Off Road Mfg.. I guess it's about time I got off my butt and joined other vets on this sight. I was in the Navy between 1963 and 1967. I was an Avation Ordnanceman aboard the USS Bennington (decommissioned in the 1970's, sold to India for scrap metal in the 1990's- -I believe). Our ship served two terms off Viet Nam shores during my time aboard. I became an AO2 in three years, which normally took 5 to 10 years to achieve back in those days- - -lucky me.

Welcome Jim, thanks for your service.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom