Just picked up a 1970 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I bought a 40 a while ago out in California and had it dropped off at Valley Hybrids with Georg and his crew to get it mechanically baselined. They did an awesome job and took it from not running to running awesome. I ended up having it shipped to my house in Georgia because I have don't have a garage up here in Virginia.

I posted a thread in the 40 section, but would like to talk to some local folks that have 40s so I can start to see what I need to gather parts wise and make a game plan. I will likely bring it up to Va this summer, but before I do that I need to address a few issues.

I would love to get eyes on someone's rig to look at what I need to replace on my hardtop (seals, bolts, etc) and the heater system. I'd also like to talk to anyone who has done metal work on a 40 before. The 40 I picked up is super solid, but will likely need rockers.

Thanks!

upload_2017-12-27_9-38-45.png

upload_2017-12-27_9-38-54.png

Nice 40!
Did George give you a to do list when he had it!
If you get on the rusted areas of the body you may get away with just cleaning off the rust or only have to do patches. The older 40's have thicker and better sheet metal than the newer ones.
I've replaced my lower quarters. But I made them myself.

Nice 40!
Did George give you a to do list when he had it!
If you get on the rusted areas of the body you may get away with just cleaning off the rust or only have to do patches. The older 40's have thicker and better sheet metal than the newer ones.
I've replaced my lower quarters. But I made them myself.

Thanks! It needs too much to list lol All really small things, but a numerous. The first thing that comes to mind is the steering. I either need to get used to it or look to see if it's the wrong ratio steering box for a driver. It's very squirrelly, but drives straight and smooth until you try to turn the wheel.

The hard top was stuck on it, but I don't think it's bolted on properly and the it's missing a lot of weather strips. Oh, the heater is hanging in the floor haha.

Otherwise it's pretty solid. I'd feel comfortable to drive it an hour without worry as it is now.

As for the rust, I'll have to strip it down to see what I'm dealing with. My initial up close assessment is that it will need at minimum rocker patches and a rear quarter, if not both. The floor panels and rear sill are rock solid, no rust.

The pros are all the upgrades previously done:

It has brand new BFG KOs (five of them with matching wheel spare);

Disc brake conversion;

Aluminum radiator;

4 speed transmission swap;

Fresh Holley carb with Downey air cleaner adaptor;

New gas tank;

Obviously the hard top and full doors that it came with (doors are 95% perfect);

nice jump seats;

lack of rust;

Cons:

Sketch steering;

Heater box laying in floor;

Driver seat is in need of a restoration;

It had that odd second gas tank opening, but there wasn't an auxiliary tank.

I did all the metal work ony 40... Some custom patches and some CCOT steel.
I don't see a power steering pump. Does it have stock steering?

There is one hidden in there. It's got a saginaw steering box and a weird power steering cooler on the driver's side.

I might have to pick your brain when I get it up here. I don't know body work and it doesn't look complicated even to me. I want a driver not a show quality 40 so not looking for perfection, but I also want to take care of the rust properly so it doesn't come back.

Ah, OK. So, when you get a chance, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and count the turns; it should be 4ish turns. If not, you might very well have a 3 turn Sag.
I know there are 3 turn and 4 turn boxes that have the same part number. The only way to be sure is to bring a set of vice grips with you to the parts store and check it for yourself.

Ah, OK. So, when you get a chance, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and count the turns; it should be 4ish turns. If not, you might very well have a 3 turn Sag.
I know there are 3 turn and 4 turn boxes that have the same part number. The only way to be sure is to bring a set of vice grips with you to the parts store and check it for yourself.

I have been reading on the saginaw boxes and that is exactly I plan to do the next time I'm in front of the 40. I also read that autozone sells a steering box number 6529 that is from the old J20 jeeps.

Good tip on the vice grips when going to the store. A lot of the posts I read said even the ones labeled 4 turn were sometimes not correct. If I just have to change a steering box to correct the issue I'll be happy!

Um...is that a rubber hose splice on your hard fuel line right above the exhaust manifold?

If your heater is hanging freely, you might want to support it so there is no stress on the heater hoses coming through the firewall.

My 71 needed also new rockers on both sides, but not much else....all I can say is it was a long, slippery and expensive slope. I was a bit loose with the definition of "need". But the friendships made along the way and the skills (?) learned and knowledge earned can't be bought.

Um...is that a rubber hose splice on your hard fuel line right above the exhaust manifold?

If your heater is hanging freely, you might want to support it so there is no stress on the heater hoses coming through the firewall.

My 71 needed also new rockers on both sides, but not much else....all I can say is it was a long, slippery and expensive slope. I was a bit loose with the definition of "need". But the friendships made along the way and the skills (?) learned and knowledge earned can't be bought.

I didn't even catch that fuel line. I will have to try to source another hard line if they are even possible to find?

I will try to find a way to get it in a better position. Luckily I have a great radiator guy in Georgia so if the heater core has issues he can build me another one relatively cheap.

I'm looking forward to working on this project for sure. I can't wait for the summer to get here.

Good eye Jon. Yeah, a splice in the fuel line above the exhaust manifold is no beuno.

What could go wrong!? LOL

Had my dad swing by and turn the wheel to see what it was today...... 2.5 turn. Sounds like I'll be replacing the steering box, but it's good news to know that it's a simple fix.

That box is desirable in the stock car realm. You can also put a small steering wheel on. That will slow down the ratio.

Change the box keep the big original wheel.

That box is desirable in the stock car realm. You can also put a small steering wheel on. That will slow down the ratio.

Change the box keep the big original wheel.

It actually had a small wheel on it when I got it and it felt about the same after I put a huge stock wheel back on. I'll see if I can find a pictures. Once I get the new 4 turn box on if anyone needs the small wheel or the 2.5 turn box they will be up for grabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom