My 1UZFE build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The guy I bought the engine from is a Toyota engineer. He has this setup in a 76. I can drive to his house any time I need guidance.
He designed the Dellow bellhousing , and they cast it for him.

Slow progress, purchased a Confer auxiliary tank ,22 gallon, to be my main tank. I decided to sell the 77 frame and bought a 75 frame with no mods to be the basis of this build. For Sale: - 1975 FJ40 Project, Solid,Cheap I will part out everything except the frame once it arrives from Oregon. My 82 is almost done and when sold this project will go into high gear.

there were 2 of these new in crate 1uz epic marines on ebay not too long ago. $7k ish but i was hemming and hawwing over the Cummins ISF 2.8 crate coming to our shores in early 2017. Every time i stomp on the gas pedal in my LS400 and jump from 60-120mph.......i know i made a mistake not grabbing a zero mile-emission free version. :(

4.0 liter = 1uz

Every time a see this thread bumped it makes me look for Epic boats for sale. Why not add a Toyota boat to the fleet! :bounce:

Yes I was thinking the same thing @White Stripe . That intake manifold looks like 2uz to me. The ls400 motor looked very different. I'm very curious now about these marine engines.

Does anyone know about servicing these engines with assistance from the boat builders? Or is there some boat specific Toyota part numbers that make this all a piece of cake?

@beno perhaps could shed some light on the topic?

Either way, very excited for this build!

They did build boats with 2uz's by the way. Curious if the bottom end is strengthened the same way these 1uz's were.....
I could not find any reference to a 2UZ in a boat , The 4.0 was used in a ski boat , an Epic, makes 300 hp 310 torque and smooth

I could not find any reference to a 2UZ in a boat , The 4.0 was used in a ski boat , an Epic, makes 300 hp 310 torque and smooth
Maybe they are using the 2uz intake nd that's what is throwing me off. Apparently these motors also have more aggressive cam shaft design. It also looks like they possibly have vvti.

We are moving forward on this , just scheduled sandblaster for chassis later this month.
$350 to blast chassis outside my friends body shop, then into the booth for DTM primer.

Last edited:
DSC_0020.JPG

Got some seats today, a pair out of an ICON

Yeah, rich clients tend not to want seats made from patio furniture material. :grinpimp:

I hope more builds like this with Toyota V-8 becomes more common with FJ40 and Fj60's. It just seems right. Chevy Vortec's are great, not knocking those, but hopefully the aftermarket suppliers will make more adapters and ECU mods for the Toyota engine. I have a 1979 FJ40 parts car that is sitting under a tarp that might just get a Toyota V-8 as well.

I hope more builds like this with Toyota V-8 becomes more common with FJ40 and Fj60's. It just seems right. Chevy Vortec's are great, not knocking those, but hopefully the aftermarket suppliers will make more adapters and ECU mods for the Toyota engine. I have a 1979 FJ40 parts car that is sitting under a tarp that might just get a Toyota V-8 as well.
The 1UZ's are cheap and plentiful, ECU's can be had or OEM used with an auto. I just paid for the luxury of a NOS engine, you don't have to use a new motor. I see the FJ company is doing Tacoma V6 engines , also nice to see Toy motors being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom