Builds Lemonade - 1967 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Black looks good with yellow...especially to a bumble bee!:p

Black looks good with yellow...especially to a bumble bee!:p

Funny...that is the first thing I thought of when picturing the black covers on this truck, bumblebees!

I'm a rebel and going coral.

Now on to tires/suspension...stock height and LT7.00/-15 power kings or 2.5" lift and 31x10.5r15 BFG ATs? I like both looks but leaning toward the small lift...if only they made a vintage style tire in a 15" rim that is 31".

Funny...that is the first thing I thought of when picturing the black covers on this truck, bumblebees!

I'm a rebel and going coral.

Now on to tires/suspension...stock height and LT7.00/-15 power kings or 2.5" lift and 31x10.5r15 BFG ATs? I like both looks but leaning toward the small lift...if only they made a vintage style tire in a 15" rim that is 31".

What have you seen? Post links. IH8searching

What have you seen? Post links. IH8searching

@ClemsonCruiser rig with the power kings

image.png

Couple misc. rigs with small lifts and 31x10.5r15s

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I personally think you need at least a 33” tire with a 2 1/2” lift or the tires just look too small.

JP’s truck was at the inaugural Carolina Relic Run and was sporting the Power Kings. I think they were perfect for a stock look and did fine on the easy trails.

IIRC, Danny @pngunme is also running the 31x10.5s and is very happy with them. Back in the ‘80s I got the best mileage ever on my 40 running 31s.

And I was running those 3leaf Ranchos. When the rig is loaded they work just fine.

I meant for the clear lenses on the fenders.

Gotcha! I was looking at them earlier today and was wondering why they were not amber. I guess they were clear when new and then DOT required them to be orange/amber?

I keep waffling back and forth on tires. My other 40 has 37s so I keep leaning toward a more stock look but 31s are very appropriate and fit the truck so well. First world problems for sure.

Does a small shackle lift negatively affect ride quality?

Jon

The first two boxes left Monday, complete with 1bbl carb and vac adv dizzy. Last box will leave next Monday. Thanks again for your order.

P.S. Don’t panic about the relay rod end; there’s a brand new one in box #3. ;)

Last edited:
Jon

The first two boxes left Monday, complete with 1bbl carb and vac adv dizzy. Last box will leave next Monday. Thanks again for your order.

P.S. Don’t panic about the relay rod end; there’s a brand new one in box #3. ;)

Thanks Mark!

I’m out of town for a couple days and got a signature required notice. I might need to get the package held at FedEx for my pickup. I can give you a call tomorrow if needed.

On the tires, many people will disagree, but my 25 years in tires (first career) won’t let me accept squeezing 10.50 tires on stock 5.5” rims. Just can’t. Looks and feels wrong to me. I’ll be putting more 7.00-15 on my ‘64 FST.

I think if you go the PowerKing route, with black stock wheels and correct caps, you'll have a truly 'authentic' look and you won't stop looking at your 40 after you do it. I ordered all 5 of mine from SimpleTire.com and they were around 80 dollars/ea. This was about 6 months ago. The pictures are of my '67 with said tire/wheel combo. Hope this helps!

20170913_182817.jpg

20170924_121432.jpg

20170926_174628.jpg

@James Warner you're not making my descision any easier! I was almost set on a small lift and 33x10.5 BUT the power kings look so 'authentic'.

I don't plan to really wheel this truck as my other 40 is SOA with 37s...so this was going to be more of a errand runner / all around cool stock(ish) truck. I still have time to change my mind again as I plan to get the truck running and mechanically sound before purchasing tires.

I almost need a 3rd 40 (or 45) so I can have do both stock skinnies and 33s :hmm:

:worms:

Good thing is that my budget won't allow for that in the meantime.

If you can drive towards charlotte I'd encourage you to check out @lowtops new tires. He went from 31/10.5r15s down to a stock look and it looks really sharp.

He brought it to the relic run last year, so I assume he'll go again this year but I'd guess based on your speed that you will be way passed this decision by April!

Can't wait to see where you take this build.

@James Warner you're not making my descision any easier! I was almost set on a small lift and 33x10.5 BUT the power kings look so 'authentic'.

I don't plan to really wheel this truck as my other 40 is SOA with 37s...so this was going to be more of a errand runner / all around cool stock(ish) truck. I still have time to change my mind again as I plan to get the truck running and mechanically sound before purchasing tires.

I almost need a 3rd 40 (or 45) so I can have do both stock skinnies and 33s :hmm:

:worms:

Good thing is that my budget won't allow for that in the meantime.

Thanks for the mention @joyRidaz.

In case you don’t have enough tire research to do, I’ll throw in a nod to the Yokohama 7.00 r15.
They were the only radial tire I could find in that size, everything else being a bias ply.

Also running skinnies negates much of the need for power steering.

I think the skinnies look awesome but I’m a little biased, just not bias plied. :rofl:

I think if you go the PowerKing route, with black stock wheels and correct caps, you'll have a truly 'authentic' look and you won't stop looking at your 40 after you do it. I ordered all 5 of mine from SimpleTire.com and they were around 80 dollars/ea. This was about 6 months ago. The pictures are of my '67 with said tire/wheel combo. Hope this helps!

View attachment 1608792

View attachment 1608795

View attachment 1608800

Here is where you can buy reproductions of those great looking period correct hubcaps at a reasonable price.

Early Acorn Hubcaps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom