Bumper upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It has only taken me 5 months to make time and start the installation of my BIO rear bumper. I bought in July and Mike Smith brought it to me at the Hundreds In The Hills event in Silverton in July (always trying to save a buck by not having to pay shipping). I got the version with an integrated receiver so that I can tow stuff. Mike's bumper is not rated for towing but that's not because it is underbuilt. It's because small mom and pops can't afford to test their stuff and make it "rated" for towing. What's going on is far more stout than the receiver hitch that is being removed.

The only complication with getting the integrated receiver is that I have to cut a notch in the rear cross member. So I spent part of the day yesterday removing the old bumper, chasing the threads in the 14mm bolts that hold everything together and cutting the notch in the cross member. It was a little tough to work up the courage to cut my frame, since I've never done anything that crazy before.

There was a little surface rust on the bottom of the frame rails where the old receiver was so I took a wire wheel and then a sanding pad on my grinder to clean them off. My next step will be to primer and paint the bare metal where I sanded as well as the bare metal around the notch for the receiver. Should have enough time after Christmas to get it wrapped up.

DSC02671.JPG
DSC02677.JPG
DSC02680.JPG
DSC02684.JPG

DSC02690.JPG
DSC02698.JPG
DSC02702.JPG
DSC02712.JPG
DSC02717.JPG

Marc -

Looks good! Keep us posted with more pics and give a shout if you need a hand.

I'm interested to see the finished product.

Is anyone available this Friday afternoon to get it stuffed? I got all the primer and paint on yesterday. I'm anxious to get it on and would probably have tried for today (Wednesday) but my shoulder is hurting and I want to give it a couple days to hurt less before I wrestle a 150# bumper and make my shoulder hurt again.

I think I'm available to help wrestle this on.

That would be great if you guys could come help. I thought about trying to do it with just a floor jack and a couple teenagers but I think I would have a lot more success with adult men that know how things go together and are stronger than a 14 y.o. girl and a scrawny 16 y.o. boy. I'll send you my address and phone number in a private message. I'm thinking we try to do it about 1:00 when it has warmed up and the sun is shining on my driveway on the west side of the house.

I have plans late afternoon on Friday, so this timing may not be the best for me, but it sounds like you've got a couple helpers already. Good luck guys!

Subbed for pics!

what's the purpose of the rear bumper Marc?

what's the purpose of the rear bumper Marc?
Are you being sarcastic or asking an actual question?
My plastic bumper had seen better days. There was lots of missing paint, broken/bent mounting features. I wanted a bumper that was more stout against scraping on things since she's a draggin' wagon. And while I'm at it, I should mount the spare tire in a location that it is less likely to be damaged during those dragging scenarios. Lastly, I tow stuff with my cruiser so I needed something with a stout, integrated receiver.

I will try to get some pictures today. Jon, Grant and Ron stopped by to help. Ron donated some parts off his hi lift mount to act as spacers where I needed some spacers/shims. It's really stout and looks good too.

Hey! Ash! Leave the fella alone! This bumper is just sexy.
20171229_152635.jpg

Damn that's a sexy bumper!

Looks great! Much more trail worthy now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom