Installing mirror heads? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Haven't done this is a long time. On old mirrors I believe I used screwdrivers in to opposing slots around the opening which reduced the pressure needed to snap them in. Those were old mirrors and not sure how it would work for someone else, so don't blame me if you get another seven years bad luck.

Are they OEM? You just loosen the screw and pop them on the ball at the end of the mirror arm. Position them where you want them then tighten the screw.

I've done this several times...With the mirror arm off the truck and the mirror face down on a towel covered floor, put a toothed lock washer in the ball slot first, then use the screwdriver method to install the arm/ball. Insert a large flat head screwdriver just outside the ball socket, twist the opening and insert the ball. Then install the mirror arm & mirror on the door. Next, install the two screw & nuts then adjust mirror to suite your needs, finally tighten those two screws up and lock it into place. The key to a secure mirror at 50 mph is the toothed lock washer.

I've done this several times...With the mirror arm off the truck and the mirror face down on a towel covered floor, put a toothed lock washer in the ball slot first, then use the screwdriver method to install the arm/ball. Insert a large flat head screwdriver just outside the ball socket, twist the opening and insert the ball. Then install the mirror arm & mirror on the door. Next, install the two screw & nuts then adjust mirror to suite your needs, finally tighten those two screws up and lock it into place. The key to a secure mirror at 50 mph is the toothed lock washer.
Have a pic of the toothed lock washer?

Edit: just googled it.. makes sense. Cool idea. Wish I was that close to driving mine 50 down the highway!

Have a pic of the toothed lock washer?
9367486B-11.jpg

Note: I used one that was about 1/2 the diameter of the ball. That way the teeth dug into the ball & plastic housing.

OK cool I'll give it a try. I've never had issue with the mirror head moving, but have had trouble with aftermarket arms moving. I just got factory arms and they are way more firm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom