CODE #83 #84 #85 93FZJ80 issue help (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.iluvrocks.com
the 80 has been developing a stumbling issue when first being driven.

usually in the morning (maybe colder and moister)
usually happens if you don't let it warm up for 3-5 minutes or so first

Situation:
I gave the engine bay a thorough hosing down after the pig run here and had a sprinkler under it for an hour or so trying to clean some of the mud and such off.

the next morning (a good 15 hours later) I drove the truck but it was faltering horribly! acted a LOT like fuel starvation, but could have been anything.

The *check engine* light came on a couple times and went off.

I parked the truck and later that day checked on it.

I got codes 83, 84, and 85 off the diagnosis. nothing else.

manual says that is TCM communication in ESA circuit 1, 2, and 3 respectively.

TCM = Transmission Control Module, or tranny ECU
ESA = Electronic Spark Advance

Cleared the codes and started the truck. It started fine, and ran fine with no stumbling even though I didn't really let it warm up. no new codes have been thrown.

I'm thinking this is cold/water related, but was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

thanks Dan!

I did some searching, but the search engine didn't seem to like the numbers. I couldn;t come up with anything.

guess I'm just not good at it.... :rolleyes:

Not many people wander around with "89661-60221" floating around in their heads......:D

OK.... I take my thanks back :crybaby:

you.... have.... got... to... be... kidding... me....

can you tell by the VIN # what ECU I have?
Is there NOTHING else that could be causing this? I find it interesting that it happened after a good drenching..... could it be a water grounding problem?

gawd.....

What is your production date?

10/92

You have the old one.

Hey Dan, you ole' wealth of knowledge, I'm looking to upgrade form my 85 60 series to a 93 or 94 80 series. Is this computer problem common on most of these models or is it hit and miss? Hate to think I'd be walking into a computer mess with a new to me rig. Just took a week trip with the wifes 91 FJ80, and I'm sold on the 80 though I'd like the bigger 4.5L.
I guess no matter what model you get there's always some little bugg that can pop up.
Russ :cool:

so there was NOT any recall, or free replacement on this ECU?

when did Toyota come out with the replacement? Was it evver done under warranty?

I'm wondering on the off chance that a PO replaced it... although not likely :rolleyes:
(seems that if it's such a problem and has a different part number replacement, we should be contacting Toyota to complain and try to get something done. Especially for $1000+ !!!!!)

Russ in California said:
Hey Dan, you ole' wealth of knowledge, I'm looking to upgrade form my 85 60 series to a 93 or 94 80 series. Is this computer problem common on most of these models or is it hit and miss? Hate to think I'd be walking into a computer mess with a new to me rig. Just took a week trip with the wifes 91 FJ80, and I'm sold on the 80 though I'd like the bigger 4.5L.
I guess no matter what model you get there's always some little bugg that can pop up.
Russ :cool:

Only the early production 93's have this particular ECU. It was changed to the -60221 in May 93 at frame number JT3DJ81^^^^038497.

Not all of the early ones exibit this problem but I imagine the potential is there for all of them.

If you are looking an an early vehicle it is possible that the ECM could have already been replaced at some point. The only way to know for sure is to look at the ECU and get the number off of it.

Last edited:
Klunky Chris said:
so there was NOT any recall, or free replacement on this ECU?

when did Toyota come out with the replacement? Was it evver done under warranty?

I'm wondering on the off chance that a PO replaced it... although not likely :rolleyes:
(seems that if it's such a problem and has a different part number replacement, we should be contacting Toyota to complain and try to get something done. Especially for $1000+ !!!!!)

No service campaign, it was a running production change on May 93 as I mentioned above. Any warranty replacement would have been done if there was a problem during the normal warranty coverage period.

IF you are the original owner and IF your vehicle has been dealer maintained you could request assistance from Toyota and they MIGHT help out with some of the cost.

as a 92 production date 93 model owner I have watched this issue for a while. there are lots of 93 owners on this board and very few cases of D'oh so I think the problem is pretty darn rare. it's a doozy when it happens, but it's no h/g in terms of risk level. you can also always go the wrecker route.

89661-60170 :crybaby:

BTW: this is SUPER easy to check
if you didn't know, the glove box drops down real easy. just carefully bent the box in until the tabs that keep it from dropping out clear the dash.
then be box drops way down and you can look up and see your ugly ECU staring you in the face going "gimmie $1000!!!! gimmie $1000!"

I second that! Thank you Cruiser Dan! Just replaced the ECM and my LC is running great.

....and two years later it's still working.....

I hate to open up an ancient wound but I have looked all around this site to no avail.

I have been working on getting my 93 Cruiser ready for a year long road trip coming up this next year for the last 6 months, chasing all the little gremlins out and attempting to get everything running smooth.

Since doing a full tune up on the truck including spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, pcv valve and hoses, and also changing out the tps sensor. All this to try and get the idle smoothed out as it would start off at a high idle and eventually drop to 400-500 RPMs and struggle to stay on.

Recently its been running fairly well, idle has been better than in the past, however the shifting has started getting erratic. I originally thought it could've been due to the extra weight of a drawer system, fridge, and dual battery setup that tipped the scale for the transmissions shift points but now its just gotten crappier and crappier of a drive with the transmission stumbling all over the place.

Finally this last week the truck gave me the engine codes noted above and all over about the 93's having a bad ECU. However, after reading this and many other threads then venturing out to my truck to see what ECU I have only to be greeted by the "newer" 89661-60221 ECU.... I reset the codes by pulling the EFI fuse and hoped it wouldn't come back. Yet now here I am not quite a week later having these same codes and still a tranny that has no clue what to do when rolling through traffic and feathering the gas peddle then eventually throwing these codes and turning off once I am accelerating again.

My question is CruiserParts seems to have used ECUs for $200 but has anyone ever heard of these 89661-60221 ECUs to also develop this problem or am I just not looking in the right spot?....

Any help is very much appreciated oh wise haters of mud.

I hate to open up an ancient wound but I have looked all around this site to no avail.

I have been working on getting my 93 Cruiser ready for a year long road trip coming up this next year for the last 6 months, chasing all the little gremlins out and attempting to get everything running smooth.

Since doing a full tune up on the truck including spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, pcv valve and hoses, and also changing out the tps sensor. All this to try and get the idle smoothed out as it would start off at a high idle and eventually drop to 400-500 RPMs and struggle to stay on.

Recently its been running fairly well, idle has been better than in the past, however the shifting has started getting erratic. I originally thought it could've been due to the extra weight of a drawer system, fridge, and dual battery setup that tipped the scale for the transmissions shift points but now its just gotten crappier and crappier of a drive with the transmission stumbling all over the place.

Finally this last week the truck gave me the engine codes noted above and all over about the 93's having a bad ECU. However, after reading this and many other threads then venturing out to my truck to see what ECU I have only to be greeted by the "newer" 89661-60221 ECU.... I reset the codes by pulling the EFI fuse and hoped it wouldn't come back. Yet now here I am not quite a week later having these same codes and still a tranny that has no clue what to do when rolling through traffic and feathering the gas peddle then eventually throwing these codes and turning off once I am accelerating again.

My question is CruiserParts seems to have used ECUs for $200 but has anyone ever heard of these 89661-60221 ECUs to also develop this problem or am I just not looking in the right spot?....

Any help is very much appreciated oh wise haters of mud.

There are two things I do not leave my garage without: spare fusible links and spare ECU. Virtually everything else can be band aided simply.

If I was leaving on a year long trip in a 25 year old rig I certainly wouldn’t leave without a spare.

Some may call me crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom