Can a 1991 oem radiator or equivalent be bought ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im trying to source a oem or equal quality radiator for a 1991 80.

I searched all threads, found the end of the internet and nada.

If it does not exist I'd rather make something high quality fit. Any ideas?

Just got it the other week, and got a report from the shop. It pretty much needs everything. Still runs great. However everything leaks. Master cylinder gets done tomorrow, and radiator is next to source.

I used to hang out on here A LOT; not so much the last year or so. But, pretty sure the consensus is no.

You can get a CSF all-brass which gets mixed reviews, or you can try one of the new, inexpensive, one-row aluminum ones with plastic tanks.

I figured those were crap, but I've seen some well-respected members vouching for them for 93-97's.

Welcome, and we'll see where this goes.

Thanks for the link and welcoming, good to be here, good people. A 3 bills plus radiator is good if it lasts around 8 years. Griffin wants a grand according to their website. And that would just slow down progress. Its a big step up from wrenching on a CJ7, and I'm spoiled by the jeep aftermarket. Anyway, it's ordered. The factory one working now is just going to leak more with time, so I'm starting to collect parts. Happy Holidays!

Thanks for the link and welcoming, good to be here, good people. A 3 bills plus radiator is good if it lasts around 8 years. Griffin wants a grand according to their website. And that would just slow down progress. Its a big step up from wrenching on a CJ7, and I'm spoiled by the jeep aftermarket. Anyway, it's ordered. The factory one working now is just going to leak more with time, so I'm starting to collect parts. Happy Holidays!

Awesome! Sounds good. Keep the 3FE Alive!!

A neat work around:

Get the 16400-17020 radiator. This is the OEM T.Rad radiator for FJ80's in non-US markets and 1HZ/1HD-T radiator for manual 80 series trucks in non-US markets.

You would need to route your AT cooler lines to another cooler up front, but the radiator would be a direct-fit to an FJ80 in the US market.

Better yet: the 16400-17020 is available in the US market for some odd reason. ;)

Toyota MSRP is $486.16 and can be had cheaper at toyotablahblahblah.com

A neat work around:

Get the 16400-17020 radiator. This is the OEM T.Rad radiator for FJ80's in non-US markets and 1HZ/1HD-T radiator for manual 80 series trucks in non-US markets.

You would need to route your AT cooler lines to another cooler up front, but the radiator would be a direct-fit to an FJ80 in the US market.

Better yet: the 16400-17020 is available in the US market for some odd reason. ;)

Man, I've been agonizing over buying a radiator and this idea makes me really happy. OEM manual radiator it is. Add a transmission cooler and call it a day. Maybe it will work better for my old trans this way anyhow. I had actually been considering doing this with an aftermarket 1H aluminum radiator but it never occurred to me to look for an OEM one.

A neat work around:

Great information, Thank you!
Maybe should have waited for your response before I pulled the trigger on the aftermarket? Ha! But the aftermarket can always be returned. I'm so new to this, I am happy there is so much experience here. Also saw on this site that other users only got about 3 years out of the aftermarket unit. Better parts are always best for almost anything worth doing in the first place. $389.31 at toyotapartsblahblahblah

Last edited:
You would need to route your AT cooler lines to another cooler up front

Thanks Onur, and a question:

Would the stock cooler in front of the A/C condenser not be sufficient? Always thought the one in the rad was more or less just a "tranny warmer" for cold starts.

Would still like to know if anyone's gone the route of something like this yet:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/co...tor-11357/1992/toyota/land-cruiser?q=radiator

I've been reading reviews of similar radiators and it sounds like they're garbage. I'd imagine the cheap land cruiser radiators will perform the same as similar radiators for different cars. I'm not a professional mechanic though.

Now I'm trying to decide where to put the trans cooler. I guess there's room in front of the condenser. The other option is remote mounting with an electric fan.

I recently received a marketing email from toyotapartsoverstock.com advertising a year-end closeout discout of 27% off msrp. I have had luck before getting my local dealership to match the online price. Just my $.02.

I would absolutely 100% introduce as much cooling capacity to the A440F as one possibly can.

I would personally use the OEM cooler as well as a smaller quality cooler that you can source domestically—

Something from one of the quality auto parts places.

Heat KILLS A440F transmissions.

I would absolutely 100% introduce as much cooling capacity to the A440F as one possibly can.

I would personally use the OEM cooler as well as a smaller quality cooler that you can source domestically—

Something from one of the quality auto parts places.

Heat KILLS A440F transmissions.

Thanks!

OEM 3FE external cooler still available? (Just curious.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom