WTF is this bracket for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rkymtnflyfisher

Trout Bum
Threads
What is this bracket for? It is on the bottom side of the rear crossmember on a 62ish 45.
20171216_163237.jpg
20171216_163230.jpg

Wow, your frame looks great! I’ve got one of those brackets on my ‘63 but it’s rusted beyond use I think (along with the rear cross member), and also have nothing else. But my rig also has the holes in the right back panel for spare tire rack that swings. Why both?

going from memory, you are missing a long eye-bolt piece, and a wing nut. but you're also missing the entire carrier, it is a T handle shaped piece, that pivots above the rear axle.

some pics in this wanted thread:
WTB: FJ 45 LWB Under box spare tire carrier

bolt pics in this thread:
Wanted - SPARE TIRE LOCKING BOLT

Sweet, this rig has the plate style spare tire carrier like the 40s have, I'm not sure how it all goes together. I'm just helping another guy out that is rebuilding his. There were some questions about that bracket.

Mine was cut off to install a bumper which I'm sure many were. Other pieces were hatch up at some point. While it's cool retro I've decided to go the winch style since it so much easier to operate. Lifting the back then trying to get the pin in the correct location seems like a lot of work. Would be curious to see a video of one person doing it. My decision was helped by Toyota installing the clips in the cab for the rod to operate the winch.

So does our 64 LV

Our FJ45V from 1963 also has this bracket. Weird, because (L)V's have the spare inside. They probably used a standard rear cross member for different models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom