Cot vs. pad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thx for this, why does the additon of the cot make it that much more comfortable?

as I get my patina, I find it more difficult to climb back to a standing position... a cot takes about a foot out of that journey.

I have not used a modern cot, so I am one sided here, I do used Alps Mountaineering mattress Rechargeable Air Bed Twin   /   ALPS Mountaineering
and a wool army blanket over the pad, have slept great all the way down to 18 degs.
The wood blanket will keep the cold transfer from happening.

I have not used a modern cot, so I am one sided here, I do used Alps Mountaineering mattress Rechargeable Air Bed Twin / ALPS Mountaineering
and a wool army blanket over the pad, have slept great all the way down to 18 degs.
The wood blanket will keep the cold transfer from happening.

I have a fair amount of "Patina" also, and I use a similar setup as above. It allows comfortable sleep down to single digit temps. In fact my wife, who has somewhat less patina, will even camp with this set up when it's cold... occasionally!

When really cold, any type of raised sleeping platform like a cot has always felt much colder than being on the ground. While the ground and pads absorb some warmth, they also restrict airflow. The raised cot allows cold air to circulate all around. In my experience, resulting in a much colder night!

In warmer weather, I do use a cot for the exact same reasons - Air circulation helps keep me cooler! The cot does make it easier to get up from!

I have a fair amount of "Patina" also, and I use a similar setup as above. It allows comfortable sleep down to single digit temps. In fact my wife, who has somewhat less patina, will even camp with this set up when it's cold... occasionally!

When really cold, any type of raised sleeping platform like a cot has always felt much colder than being on the ground. While the ground and pads absorb some warmth, they also restrict airflow. The raised cot allows cold air to circulate all around. In my experience, resulting in a much colder night!

In warmer weather, I do use a cot for the exact same reasons - Air circulation helps keep me cooler! The cot does make it easier to get up from!

As I get older, getting up is a pain, some pads for the knees help
Next summer for a trip to Alaska, I will find some nice double mattress for my sister and bother in law.

I've never liked camp cots because they are so firm I might as well be sleeping on the ground.
Recently I've taken to sleeping in a zero gravity chair, laid out with thermarest base camp pad and sleeping bag.
A few weeks ago I slept under the stars on a 24 degree night with this set up and was more than comfortable.
The chair serves double duty as an actual chair when not sleeping in.
Certainly not for backpacking but if you have room for a cot, you probably have room for a zero gravity recliner.
$0.02

how about a cot tent!? :D mine is the Ozark cot tent. but for two people a Kamprite would be more fitting. Home | Kamp-Rite

25398340_10215078199890735_6543975531141009854_o.jpg

I use a Teton XL cot with a Teton cot pad. It is very comfortable and I don't like form mattresses. It's about $200 for the combo but worth it as I don't like sleeping on air beds.

I use a Teton XL cot with a Teton cot pad. It is very comfortable and I don't like form mattresses. It's about $200 for the combo but worth it as I don't like sleeping on air beds.

This

I spent 20 years as a commercial guide both backcountry skiing and on the river and i have used every fancy sleeping pad made, none of them even come close to the comfort of this Teton cot set up, might be as comfy as my bed at home. It's big, bulky, and expensive but worth it

Cot with pad.
Heaven

Cot with pad is great. Cant stand rolling around on ground to get up (I have O.L.D. disease). Just take up lots of room. Roof top tent is great in cold or wet weather. Sleep in back of cruiser if short one night trip with very limited gear. Hammock in dry weather hot or cold without issues. Thought it would hurt back but its great.

I'm done with sleeping on the ground... just too hard for me to crawl around on the ground these days... and my wife not so keen on sleeping on the ground either. So I picked up a huge tent and a couple of cots from REI... kind of 'glam camping' compared to my old bivy sacks days. When I'm not with the wife, I tend to just setup a cot next to my FJC.

The REI Kingdom Cots I have are really comfy but a bit on the bulky side.

Last edited:
That Teton XL is at Cabela's right now for $99. It's the same as the XXL on Amazon ($120). Think this and the pad are my next. I use a similar but smaller cot, and REI camp bed 3.5" which is a decent setup but think I'll try this one for my wife.

I finally broke down and got a cot. I bought the Camp Time roll-a-cot with the pad. It is a super cot. It is lightweight, sets up quickly and packs down very small. It is also made in the USA by a Washington based family owned company. I was using a Cabelas pad and an REI pad for the last few years. They were usually ok for one night but after a few nights I would be in pain. I spent 5 nights on my cot last month and it was a game changer.

I'm a side sleeper and between Cub Scouts, Landcruiser runs, Boy Scouts and just plain camping. I've played with a few setups. For 2 years, I used a Cabela's XL cot their big XL flannel bag in a big tent. Great setup, very comfortable and lots of room, but very bulky to pack. I never used their 2" foam or a pad with it. I then moved to a Hennessy Deep Jungle XL hammock with a Down Quilt bag that lies on top of you. Major comfort improvement over the cot and the whole thing packed up in the down quilt bivy bag. Next was a Big Agnes Q-Core pad in the 80 with the Cabelas XL flannel bag, that was very nice too and afforded a fairly small package. Next I used an REI Half Dome 2 man tent with the Big Agnes Q-Core pad covered by a twin fitted sheet and the Down Quilt. This was becoming my favorite setup.

Now, I typically camp with 1 or 2 kids and most trips are down to freezing temps. I have a smorgasboard of sleeping options that I take with me on EVERY trip to accomodate setup time, weather, speed and convenience, and the goal is to stay OFF THE GROUND no matter what. Option 1: I fabbed up a folding plywood platform on my Prinsu Rack which I flop open then toss my fully built REI Half Dome tent onto. I then use the Big Agnes Q-Core, sheet and top quilt. Option 2: Sleep in the 80 on my Ridgid Totes and 2nd row seats with the Big Agnes Q-Core, sheet and top quilt. Option 3: 1 of 2 Hennessey hammocks with the top quilt and reflective bubble-wrap insulation underneath. I usually sleep on the roof and my kids use the hammocks.

Ultimately, I can sleep up to 5 people, off the ground, warm and cozy and very comfortable. I'm working on a solution to accommodate 2-3 hammocks hanging from the truck. In a pinch, I can throw the REI Half Dome on the ground if I had to. I've not used my cot in about 5 years, still have it, and a 6 man tent for the wife if she ever goes with us.

When space, weight, and time (meaning we're staying in one spot) aren't a factor, then I use my Lightspeed 3" pad on top of my Easy Cot from Byer of Maine.

BJVXhfP.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom