New Body Style Tacomas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What does everyone think about the newer body style Tacomas? I have a dealer loaner right now, brand new 2017 4 door 4x4, drove it 60 miles today and kind of like it? Are they bullet proof like the 90's body style? My buddy had a 98 with rear locker back in the day, it was un-stoppable.

As far as I understand they are great trucks. I have 2009 with 190K on it and it runs and drives great. I'm sure the newer models drive a little smoother, more efficiently, and have more creature comforts.

As far as capability, I think that depends on how hard you want to beat your $40K truck off-road... For me, I'll push it hard but I'm not going to end up on FailArmy.

Style wise, I like the 05-12 model years the most but that's just personal preference.

Im just curious how they are doing mechanically speaking, they look cool to me. I wonder if its been long enough to tell if they will have some bugs to work out. The loaner I have right now seems pretty well put together. Not a whole lot of room but Im a large human. Doesnt have a whole lot of balls but enough. Im going to drive it to dfw airport today, get a better feel for it.

They're great trucks, no doubt.

I really like the styling of older Toyota trucks through 1st generation Tacomas, but since then not a fan of their looks.

The axles are beefier, more traction electronic wizardry. They are reliable. They seem to have a peaky power curve and don't accelerate near as fast as the older 4.0 tacomas. Motor pretty much is what it is. You can modify with high flow exhaust and that's about it. The 4.0 you could supercharge if wanted.

I just test drove a new '17 TRD off road and an equally equipped '14 TRD off road w/ 60k miles. I was ready to pull the trigger on which ever one I felt drove better. In the end, I felt they drove exactly the same even though the new one is a 3.5L and the '14 is a 4.0L. I bought the '14. A few more creature comforts that I don't care about in the '17. I felt the power, road manners, shifting and over all ride were the same.
Both great trucks but I went $15g's cheaper.

I just test drove a new '17 TRD off road and an equally equipped '14 TRD off road w/ 60k miles. I was ready to pull the trigger on which ever one I felt drove better. In the end, I felt they drove exactly the same even though the new one is a 3.5L and the '14 is a 4.0L. I bought the '14. A few more creature comforts that I don't care about in the '17. I felt the power, road manners, shifting and over all ride were the same.
Both great trucks but I went $15g's cheaper.
You can see a drag race between different gen. Tacomas at the 4 minute mark...

You can see a drag race between different gen. Tacomas at the 4 minute mark...

Nice simple review, thanks for sharing.
Bottom line for me, all 3 great trucks. Can't go wrong on any of them as long as you don't pay too much.
I haven't done a highway trip in my 2nd Gen yet. I've run 4 tanks back and forth to work and errands and got 18-19 mpg on each tank being easy on the throttle.
So far I love my 2nd gen, great fit for my needs 99% of the time. The 1% I'll get the diesel out of the barn.

Nice simple review, thanks for sharing.
Bottom line for me, all 3 great trucks. Can't go wrong on any of them as long as you don't pay too much.
I haven't done a highway trip in my 2nd Gen yet. I've run 4 tanks back and forth to work and errands and got 18-19 mpg on each tank being easy on the throttle.
So far I love my 2nd gen, great fit for my needs 99% of the time. The 1% I'll get the diesel out of the barn.
Yea all have some positives and negatives. All 3 are overall good vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom