30th Annual Rubithon 2018 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it was me, I'd ship it. But people feel differently about driving cross country in a 40 to 55.

Looking forward to this for 2018.

Had a great time in 2016 with my FJ Cruiser. I'm hoping to make the 30th in my FJ55.

Of course, in 2016 I was in CA. Drive or ship the 55 from CT?

Joe

Drive it! There's a high probability of winning the Iron Butt Award AND/OR the Hard Luck Award. :clap::clap::clap:

It will be difficult to beat my friend who drove from NY in his diesel FJ 46 thru Utah when it was 106.

My 55 does have a/c. However, my longest drive has been 4.5 to 5 hrs from CT to PA. Biggest concern is the noise. There is a lot of drivetrain noise in my 55.

When and where is the registration located for this event?

Also, I am planning on attending this event and want to plan accordingly. I am driving from Raleigh NC and would love to be pointed to a good resource that has information for folks that have one, never driven this trail and two, never been to this event.

Since I am coming from the other side of the country it be nice to have some information for planning considerations.

Thanks in advance

When and where is the registration located for this event?

Also, I am planning on attending this event and want to plan accordingly. I am driving from Raleigh NC and would love to be pointed to a good resource that has information for folks that have one, never driven this trail and two, never been to this event.

Since I am coming from the other side of the country it be nice to have some information for planning considerations.

Thanks in advance

Fear not! Plenty of time and lots of friends here. In addition to the resources noted above you can ask just about any question on this thread and get a straight up answer from an experienced person. Pick the run you plan to attend and the trail lead will reach out to you as soon as they are in place. Otherwise, just ask away.

What will you be driving?

What will you be driving?

A sweet mini van.

Just kidding.

Thanks guys. I found last years rubithon website. It has already answered a few of my initial questions.

Most of the videos on YouTube and picture threads I have found are cool but not necessarily informative.

I don’t think my 97 lx450 would fair too well on this trail so I plan to bring my overbuilt 82 first gen Toyota.

So, if it's your first time, I'd suggesting joining the wagon run. It's starts a day earlier from Loon Lake and is a relaxed and fully supported run that spends one night at Buck Island and 2 nights at Rubicon Springs. Last year was my first year and I totally get your feeling that it's hard to find hard information. In summary, you're going 20 miles in 3 days, you can walk it faster than youi can drive it. There is no drinking water, but there is lots of water available - bring water and a water filter. There are lots of out houses along the way, bring wag bags but you may not end up using one. Most people sleep out on the granite most nights. Feel free to PM me if you want to have a phone call or email conversation in which you can ask all your questions.

So, if it's your first time, I'd suggesting joining the wagon run. It's starts a day earlier from Loon Lake and is a relaxed and fully supported run that spends one night at Buck Island and 2 nights at Rubicon Springs. Last year was my first year and I totally get your feeling that it's hard to find hard information. In summary, you're going 20 miles in 3 days, you can walk it faster than youi can drive it. There is no drinking water, but there is lots of water available - bring water and a water filter. There are lots of out houses along the way, bring wag bags but you may not end up using one. Most people sleep out on the granite most nights. Feel free to PM me if you want to have a phone call or email conversation in which you can ask all your questions.

Thanks. As I get closer I might take you up on the offer. For now the rubithon Page has enough info to answer most of the initial questions I had.

We are still in the planning stages but I’m hoping a group of us from old north state cruisers end up making out this year.

The wagon run sounds like the smart way of doing it for a first timer.

2016 was my first time on the Rubicon and we did sign up with the wagon run. Ran the trial in a FJ Cruiser with a 3 inch lift.

We are planning on running again in 2018 but with my FJ55. We may be driving from CT, so it may be possible to meet up for the drive west.

It's getting closer, we're in the same year now! The 2018 Rubithon is now just six months away, give or take a few days.

I'm very interested in attending this year's wagon run with my 100 Series. I understand that few have done this, but I would like to give it a go.. any chance someone organizing the Wagon Run can reach out to me, before I register, to make sure they are comfortable with this.

I'm very interested in attending this year's wagon run with my 100 Series. I understand that few have done this, but I would like to give it a go.. any chance someone organizing the Wagon Run can reach out to me, before I register, to make sure they are comfortable with this.

We took an ‘06 there but not with the wagon run. Our calendars didn’t match after the date change so we went rogue. This year’s is not looking good as well but im hoping I could cut short on my trip from my cousin’s wedding in France.

You may want to connect with Steve @MountNGoat, he is leading the wagon group.

F26708DC-FD8B-4244-BB9F-BDB6FE04420B.jpeg

I got the green light to go this year! Now I just need to finish my 4Runner (3.4, dual cases, tons, locked, 40's) or talk the wife into taking the 5th Gen 4Runner (3" lift, 285's, armored, rear locker)....

Do you guys think a first timer should sign up for the wagon run no matter what rig we bring?

I got the green light to go this year! Now I just need to finish my 4Runner (3.4, dual cases, tons, locked, 40's) or talk the wife into taking the 5th Gen 4Runner (3" lift, 285's, armored, rear locker)....

Do you guys think a first timer should sign up for the wagon run no matter what rig we bring?

Hey Chad, your 4runner that I saw up in CTW will make it regardless what group you go in.
All runs are great I suppose. But I recommend the wagon run for first timers. They tend to slow down and not as fast paced as the other groups. More riders are on a wagon so you can just follow their line.
I always have fun in the wagon run on my 80, even when I finish my 40 build, I’d still run the wagon group.

Not to mention, the Pryors and Andy are great trail leaders just like how you guys are in CTW.

-John

Last edited:
I can't tell you how excited I am at the prospect of another Rubithon! It's such a great time, and you get to meet such great people. The Pryor clan is looking forward to piloting another Wagon Run, and I'll get that thread going separately later today.

The 2018 Rubithon Wagon Run thread is now live!

2018 Rubithon Wagon Run

Let's move all of the Wagon Run -related chatter over there and keep the main Rubithon page clear for other info.

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom