1hdt Intake gasket (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have recently acquired intake gaskets for my 1hd-t, and I’m looking for any advice on installation. The job seems pretty straight forward, my only concern is after I remove the injector lines is there anything I need to do or be aware after reinstallling them. I’m my thinking is I’m cracking the fuel system so I’m worried about air. Not sure if I need to be.. thanks for any help or suggestions.

Take a few pics and lots of mental notes about the orientation of the injector hardlines, you need to remove all/most of the clamps that hold the lines together, and getting it all back in the same orientation can be tricky. Also take note of the order you remove the lines from the pump, you can't get at the back/bottom ones without removing the front/top ones first, and installation is in reverse order.

As for air, you should be able to bleed the system via primer pump once it's all back together, no big deal in my experience.

I just wrote the cylinder # in sharpie on the 17mm nuts that connect to the injectors. Easy to keep track that way.

The injector lines will only go one way. Air is nothing, easy to get of.
Make sure you have a good torque wrench and pipe spanners.
If you don't have pipe or tube spanners, use 2 open end spanners on one injector nut
I think the best way is to do one and then reinstall it. Then you don't have fuel leaking out and air getting in.
It should start fairly easy if you can get the line back on quickly.
These are injector seats or gaskets? "Intake" usually means the air tube and/or inlet manifold.

The injector lines will only go one way. Air is nothing, easy to get of.
Make sure you have a good torque wrench and pipe spanners.
If you don't have pipe or tube spanners, use 2 open end spanners on one injector nut
I think the best way is to do one and then reinstall it. Then you don't have fuel leaking out and air getting in.
It should start fairly easy if you can get the line back on quickly.
These are injector seats or gaskets? "Intake" usually means the air tube and/or inlet manifold.

I believe he's changing the intake manifold to head gaskets, which requires removal of injector hardlines.

Yes.. intake gaskets, I have a little oil swap age and it bothers me..

I was getting some oil seepage there too, some of the bolts weren't even finger tight...but if you're digging in deep enough to tighten them, might as well change the gaskets.

Yes.. intake gaskets, I have a little oil swap age and it bothers me..

Oil seepage shows that you have a high amount of oil coming through the PCV and into the intake and turbo

Best tip - give your kids the right spanners, and lock them in the garage unil the job is done.
You need tiny little hands to get at some of the bolts.

A catch can would help keep oil out of the intake tract, but I was surprised to find how clean my crossover tube and intake manifold were after seeing some seepage at the IM gaskets. I'd had a catch can in place for about a year before I did the gasket swap, and pre-catchcan I was getting oil dripping from the turbo housing, so either it wasn't as bad as it looked, or it cleaned itself up over the next year of driving before I got in there.

I have recently acquired intake gaskets for my 1hd-t, and I’m looking for any advice on installation. The job seems pretty straight forward, my only concern is after I remove the injector lines is there anything I need to do or be aware after reinstallling them. I’m my thinking is I’m cracking the fuel system so I’m worried about air. Not sure if I need to be.. thanks for any help or suggestions.
Ck the condition of your turbo too. If the Turbo Shaft oil ring seal on the compressor side is weeping you can get oil into the IM too. I videoed the lines and routing with my phone after labeling the lines with masking tape. As it turned out I didnt need the vid it is pretty straight forward.... a little cussing. Having the proper steel line socket helps alot.

C9489972-47B6-4E9A-ABD5-942ED2002643.jpeg

Last edited:
Ck the condition of your turbo too. If the Turbo Shaft oil ring seal on the compressor side is weeping you can get oil into the IM too. I videoed the lines and routing with my phone after labeling the lines with masking tape. As it turned out I didnt need the vid it is pretty straight forward.... a little cussing.

It looks like there’s going to be some language!

I got started tonight got everything stripped down, took notes of what order the lines came off and what order I loosened the lines in from the pump, hopefully the lines will slide back on in reverse order, of my notes pan out I’ll post them up to see if they help the next guy.

23F2981E-9BBC-4A27-827C-CC59D8B853F6.jpeg

AE9A6EA2-624C-4F12-BE38-3E64BED73667.jpeg

F942F729-3D44-41E8-8DC1-716973C2AB5A.jpeg

2D42EA99-7F41-44AE-8A97-305F6912C7E1.jpeg

AAE27DD6-31C4-4045-8E70-C3BF9D80CFF5.jpeg

Were all your IM bolts tight?

A couple were looser than the rest for sure, now I’m wondering if I should have also bought the rubber washers for the bolts. They aren’t in bad shape so I guess they’ll be fine???

I got all new ones, they were hardened a bit and I wonder if that played a role in them loosening off on mine? I'm sure just retorquing them will be a big move in the right direction, and they'll be fine for years and years again.

IanB did you bleed the lines after everything was put back together or just hand prime then fire up. The manual doesn’t state anything about bleeding the lines ......

IanB did you bleed the lines after everything was put back together or just hand prime then fire up. The manual doesn’t state anything about bleeding the lines ......

Hand primed and it fired right up for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom