H55F Transmission Support Brackets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting a H55F into my 1980 FJ40. I seem to remember reading something about needing the cross member and support brackets from an fj60 to support the H55F. Is that correct? If so what year do I need to get it from?

Thanks

Easiest way is to use the crossmember and L brackets from a 8/80+ FJ40. Not sure when the switch but the early FJ60 the L brackets bolted on. Also not sure what if any the width different is between the 40 and 60 series. The 45/47 series is narrower then then 40 series. I doing the same thing except with a 79 FJ40.

my 40 is a May, 1980. Finding a 8/80 or newer 40 may be difficult. I can get the FJ60 support fairly easy

they made a custom crossmember for my H55

Guess just been lucky. 82 FJ40 with H42, 83 FJ42 with H55F and 84 HJ47 with H41. All came with the crossmembers and drivelines. Bought a fourth crossmember years ago off eBay that was suppose to be for a FJ40. Main crossmember is the same but the L brackets are a little shorter.:meh:

is this what I need? Seems like it is too short

FJ40 Transmission Support Bracket.jpg

That goes between the crossmember and transmission. You need that in addition to the L brackets and crossmember. Believe I read BTB makes a crossmember for the 60 series that people use in a 40. Personally like the wider OEM style.

you can use the early 60 setup, it just needs to be shortened slightly. I had posted pics years ago showing the difference in lengths between the 40 and 60 crossmember.

Paul do you have the L brackets from the earlier FJ60? Trying to figure out what the ones I have are from. Center section matches the other FJ40s just the L brackets are shaped like the other 40 series but are shorter like the ones from a HJ47. :hmm:

Paul do you have the L brackets from the earlier FJ60? Trying to figure out what the ones I have are from. Center section matches the other FJ40s just the L brackets are shaped like the other 40 series but are shorter like the ones from a HJ47. :hmm:

I do have some, you'll need to remind me later in the week.

I have a support out of a 60 that I was told would work in my 40. I can tell you for a fact it didn't! I ended purchasing one from Advance Adapters. Wasn't a perfect fit but it did support the H55 and attached to the frame with a little work.

I am still waiting on mine. (H55F and transfer case from a BJ42 also). If you would hurry up, work out all the kinks, and post a pic heavy thread I could quit sweating all this details. Get a move on.

This is from another thread but fits here as well. Wish I was ready to start. Getting closer to having everything figured out and will share everything I've found out so far. The main crossmember piece is the same on all models with a different part number starting 10/82. Looking at my crossmembers found a small difference between my 83/84 and the 82/?. Shouldn't effect using either. Now going to compare the 82 FJ40 L brackets to the ones from the 83 BJ42. See if I can find a difference between the two. The HJ47 L brackets could probably be adapted to work but are quite a bid different. Main crossmember on the HJ47 is the same just the L brackets that are different.

IIRC - Another consideration is the height difference between an h55f and a 4spd. A 5sp is a half inch or so taller and so if you bolt a 4spd cross member in a stock location (frame captured nuts) the 5spd will sit taller. This would be self evident if your tub is bolted on but if you are building a rolling chassis with drive train you might get bit later when setting the tub on.

I recall mounting my cross member in my FJ45 a little lower so that the tunnel cover would clear the tranny. The FJ45 is a 78 tub. 79-84 tub is taller as part of the whole "tank outside the cab" re-design thing so maybe a moot point I bring up given the OP is installing into a late model tub.

So....in an attempt to clear the fog a little.
There is a difference in the supporting cross member and the brackets between the 40 the 45 and the 47 and pre 82/post82??

IIRC - Another consideration is the height difference between an h55f and a 4spd. A 5sp is a half inch or so taller and so if you bolt a 4spd cross member in a stock location (frame captured nuts) the 5spd will sit taller. This would be self evident if your tub is bolted on but if you are building a rolling chassis with drive train you might get bit later when setting the tub on.

I recall mounting my cross member in my FJ45 a little lower so that the tunnel cover would clear the tranny. The FJ45 is a 78 tub. 79-84 tub is taller as part of the whole "tank outside the cab" re-design thing so maybe a moot point I bring up given the OP is installing into a late model tub.
You have a 82BJ42? The h55f and TC I am getting came out of a BJ42 (from Denmark originally). I wonder if there are frame differences between the 82' BJ42 and the late 79/early 80 FJ40

Sorry don't mean to hijack just reading this got me curious. Is my 82 able to accept the H55 without obtaining different cross bracket?

Now back to your regular channel! Thanks

The pre 79 is completely different. For the longest time wished my 79 was a 78. Now that I finally have a five speed glad it is a 79. Hardest part of the conversion is modifying the are around the inspection cover. The 83/84 has a different footprint and taller in the area in front inspection cover. That is where it changed for the five speed.

So....in an attempt to clear the fog a little.
There is a difference in the supporting cross member and the brackets between the 40 the 45 and the 47 and pre 82/post82??

Crossmember is the same on all models. What changed is a couple of bends were add on the front edge in 83. That was on was on all models. The L brackets that bolt to the frame where different on the FJ45/HJ47 then all the other models, short and mid wheel base. I take some pictures. They will show how much different they are.

You have a 82BJ42? The h55f and TC I am getting came out of a BJ42 (from Denmark originally). I wonder if there are frame differences between the 82' BJ42 and the late 79/early 80 FJ40

Frame is the same within the tranny cross member area as far as width and likely even the speed holes (frame lightening holes). The body mounts at the back are different after 8/80 but that's not relevant. That's the extent of my knowledge

[EDIT:] - THE ABOVE STATEMENT ABOUT BODY MOUNTS IS INCORRECT - I WAS THINKING ABOUT THE SPRING PERCH PLATES - THEY DO CHANGE AT 08/80 - BODY MOUNTS DO NOT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom