Need advice on Tie Rod Tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm going through the same thing with my wife's car, none of the sockets in the rental tool kit fit her car's tie rod. I'm planning on using a pipe wrench.

I have this tool and I can tell you that I'm very happy with it. No complaints.
Screenshot_2016-12-15-15-42-52.png

read my post I just did this today and posted step by step..... no special tool needed for inner... a simple fork or hammer for the outer
I'm looking for your post on this topic but I can't find it. Would you be able to share the link with me? Thanks!

Also, if it helps I found @ponytl thread here.

inner tierod replacement 1hr step by step no pictures 1 bannana

FWIW, the rack bushings can also have play that may seem like or exaggerate the symptoms of a bad tie rod.

This DIY is perfect, I did it myself today on my '99 LX470 and a medium sized pipe wrench was the correct tool for removal and installation of the inner tie rod. (The "AutoZone" tool rentals are too small) Very straightforward job, just be sure to turn the wheel all the way out to the side you are working on to extend the power steering rack outward so you can grip the inner tie rod with the pipe wrench.

Also important, count the number of turns to remove the outer tie rod and when reinstalling, use the same number of turns. This will keep your alignment close until you get it to the alignment shop.

One last thing about the DIY, I didn't need to remove the skid plate, it wasn't in the way of the job since my inner boot was secured with a zip-tie, not the stainless steel clamp. It was easy to just snip the head off the zip-tie.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom