Electrical differences between FJ and FZJ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short, I have a mechanically sound locked '95 with a pretty big rust issue on the body. I have access to a cosmetically clean '91 for a ridiculously low price and am considering a dash and body swap. That is, swap my '95 dash into the '91 body, then put the '91 body on the '95 frame/chassis to retain lockers, 1FZ and A343F.

My question is basically if the FJ80s were wired for lockers like all FZJs were. I'm guessing no, but I'd like someone that knows for sure to confirm this.

I know this is going to be a ton of work and totally not worth it, but that's on my end, so it is what it is. :)

FJ's did not have the lockers option with the semi-float axles.

And yes you are correct, this will be a fair amount of work.... Not impossible...

I wouldn't even try to use the harnesses from the 91, you will need to pull the 95 harnesses into the body of the 91.

That was the plan. I know that everything related to the engine will be different, and most of, if not all the wiring behind the dash will be different, but was only 90% sure about the lockers. I know that I'm going to have to basically strip the interiors out of both vehicles and just swap all the wiring. I'm an aircraft electrician on C130s, so I'm not afraid of the electrical part at all. Everything else is just nuts and bolts and screws, so it's just a matter of doing it for me.

Bonus nachos: I get a cloth interior and increased trail cred from the "TOYOTA" grill. Oh, wait... will FZJ headlights work with the FJ grill? I seem to vaguely recall a difference of some sort between them, but might be thinking of another vehicle.

There are differences with the headlights from 91-94 and 95+

IIRC it’s a minor cosmetic issue if you mismatch them. Someone else may be able to chime in on this.

Most of the stuff I work on here at the depot level are J models, so it's about two steps up from boat trailer wiring. This swap is just going to be a matter of transferring harnesses between the two rigs, so I'm not worried about it. It won't be as bad as a LAIRCM mod. :)

It’s always fun when you are waiting to get off the ground and a service crew comes out to ‘fix’ your planes generator with a crescent wrench, single jack and some wire nuts...

If you get bogged with the dash removal, dash harness and engine bay harness replacement let me know. I documented some of it in my build thread below.

Oh, I bet. You wouldn't believe some of the field repairs these things come in with. I'm talking stuff I wouldn't even want to do to my Cruiser. But being at the depot level, we have the luxury of the time and support to do it right.

I took a look through your build thread; under the dash looks like every other car I've pulled the dash on, so I don't expect any surprises. I'll keep you in mind, though. Thanks!

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought 91’s had all the wiring for factory lockers, but NORTH AMERICAN 91’s didn’t receive lockers? I know the dashlights are there to show when your triple locked and if I’m not mistaken, other market 91’s came with lockers.

That was the plan. I know that everything related to the engine will be different, and most of, if not all the wiring behind the dash will be different, but was only 90% sure about the lockers. I know that I'm going to have to basically strip the interiors out of both vehicles and just swap all the wiring. I'm an aircraft electrician on C130s, so I'm not afraid of the electrical part at all. Everything else is just nuts and bolts and screws, so it's just a matter of doing it for me.

Bonus nachos: I get a cloth interior and increased trail cred from the "TOYOTA" grill. Oh, wait... will FZJ headlights work with the FJ grill? I seem to vaguely recall a difference of some sort between them, but might be thinking of another vehicle.

About the least of your worries..... very simple mod. Enjoy “swinging with the wing”!

If you swap the wire harnesses over while doing the dash, etc - you'll be good.

You might have to poke some update holes in places in the FJ body, but your FZJ body will be a easy stencil.

And just pick the better frame - the axles you can swap to whichever is nicer.

Your 'nachos' - seems later headlights mount to the core support different. If so, again - you have a stencil core support.

Thinking about this last night, do you guys think it would it be easier just to swap over the dash, engine, transmission, tcase, driveshafts, and axles from the FZJ to the FJ?

Thinking about this last night, do you guys think it would it be easier just to swap over the dash, engine, transmission, tcase, driveshafts, and axles from the FZJ to the FJ?

Did you forget the wire harness too?

This is a complete re-body. The upside is having the old FZJ for every last clip/retainer & even moreso to use as a stencil like I said for any update parts.

This is (without adding custom paint) - a full frameoff job. Might as well plan it out that way & organize parts & have a dedicated indoor space to span entire length of project.

You'll either do this inside of 6mo easy, or it'll sit in parts until you move & sell it all as junk otherwise. It's the nature of car projects not properly planned for.

I kind of figured the electrical was a given. I've never done a frameoff, so I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to the time needed. Space and organization, yes, absolutely. But timeframe? Not a damn clue. I was figuring a month of weekends, to be honest.

Consider this the planning phase because I don't even have the donor yet, and I'm just weighing all my options.

This may sound dumb, but start with a 3 ring binder & a blank college notebook.

Organizational skills upfront are going to make the difference.

You'll need to attack this just like a musclecar build - upside is you have all the clips & parts that normally bite the wallet in the last 10% of the build.

Attack each system as a whole, keep it fresh in your head, write down where you stopped.

Use a paint-pen on all torqued bolts. Instant easy.

DON'T - skip around system to system, or let anybody "help" you who won't be involved the duration. Both beg trouble.

I also slap a 2" wide masking tape "note to myself" on the outside the windshield for any bolt not TQ'ed, wires/color code as came apart, whatever - those don't come off until I have revisited & it's done.

Between paint on bolts & no masking tape reminders, I know when I'm done.

Also, I never do basic fluids like oil & antifreeze until last - those are notes on the windshield too.

If a blank notebook seems intimidating & this is your 1st 'big' project here's a well thought planner to help:

Project Planning Book

Buy a 5-pack of Sharpies & just throw them around the project, that & 2" masking tape & a ton of gallon Ziplocks. Cut cardboard 'dividers' & keep the ziplocks in a row in a old apple box. Carparts version of a file cabinet;)

LINUS sounds like he has done 1 or 2 of these builds! Lol
Seriously though- what he said is right on the money! Also use your phone and take pics of connectors, wire routes, and any other things that seem “un-important” during tear down. A good video wouldn’t hurt either!
I’ve done quite a few muscle car frame offs, but not an 80 Cruiser! What Linus said about either going wide open until it’s COMPLETELY finished, or it will end up as a parts vehicle is VERY true! I can’t tell you how many “projects” I have bought 75% complete. Good luck, and “Keep your eyes on the Prize”!

I saw the project piles all the time when I was into motorcycles, especially during the cafe racer frenzy about five years ago.

I appreciate all your input. While it isn't the biggest project I've ever done, the logistics are becoming harder and harder as I get deeper into the planning, and are what may ultimately kill this project before it starts.

While it isn't the biggest project I've ever done, the logistics are becoming harder and harder as I get deeper into the planning, and are what may ultimately kill this project before it starts.

I've got a few of these to my name, and honestly if you organize upfront & use a divide / conquer mentality you are fine.

The biggest failures are guys who never prep, start making 'piles' of parts w/o labels & don't really get the scope of work. Random parts are like a cancer where once a 'random' pile starts, your project just exceeded your mental prep for.

This is a easily manageable project, I'm not out to scare you - I've drug home unfinished projects that the 100% reason it sat was it initially was bigger than the original owner planned for. So they get a little confused, then it sits for however long until they totally give up. Just that simple.

Proper prep, plan, organization & it's something you can live life & come back to when you have hours to spare. Totally doable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom