1HD FTE Misfiring & HardStart (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Guys,

I have a 1hd fte with a misfire and rough idle that shakes the car slightly. We serviced the 6 injectors and replaced the tips and did calibration. Vehicle is still misfiring. The vehicle is also experincing a hard start in the morning followed by a huge puff of white smoke. During the day vehicle will start fine, but still blow some white smoke.
I have been told to advance the pump and see if it cures it. Can I get more details on how to advance the pump and what are the specs/ranges.
From ECU there are no trouble codes, but managed to read the following values at engine idle:
1. Injection Timing: 14.2CA
2. Injection Volume: 4.023mm3/st

Cheers.

Do you have a hand prime pump on the fuel filter housing?
If you prime it with hand pump, do you still get a hard start?
Does it idle smooth of you keep pulling 5 hand prime pump while it's idling?

Air in the fuel system could be a possible cause of hard starting, rough idle and white smoke

Do you have a hand prime pump on the fuel filter housing?
If you prime it with hand pump, do you still get a hard start?
Does it idle smooth of you keep pulling 5 hand prime pump while it's idling?

Air in the fuel system could be a possible cause of hard starting, rough idle and white smoke

Yes the vehicle has a hand pump, and I pumped it once but the vehicle still had a hard start and white smoke. I haven't tried pumping it while idling to see if the rough idle/ misfire will go.
How can I get rid of the air, or how do i start checking for air leaks on the system. Thanks.

Crack the injector lines and crank the motor until you have some leakage coming out, then tighten them back up.

Advancing the electronic pumps usually doesn't do anything. The timing is controlled by the electronics. It'll just compensate for what ever position the pump is in. The computer reads out the crank position and pump position, and adjusts timing accordingly.

I agree with what the guys above are say. Very likely air is getting into the system. The hand primer itself could be the problem, as they are known to wear out and leak air.

Advancing the electronic pumps usually doesn't do anything. The timing is controlled by the electronics. It'll just compensate for what ever position the pump is in. The computer reads out the crank position and pump position, and adjusts timing accordingly.

I agree with what the guys above are say. Very likely air is getting into the system. The hand primer itself could be the problem, as they are known to wear out and leak air.
Thanks
Will test it tomorrow morning and see if it is soft. Will replace it and see How it goes then report back. Cheers

Can the hand primer cause a slight misfire as well and white smoke in the morning

Oops, wrong YouTube link.

The correct one has been posted.

Yes, air getting into the fuel system potentially will screw up the advance and idle

Incorrect timing can cause white smoke. White smoke is due raw/unburnt fuel

Yes, if you had to remove your injectors or pump, then you most likely have air trapped similar to when you run out of fuel, you should crack them at the injectors, enough to break the seal, should be obvious when you see diesel dripping out.

Bleed the injectors one at a time with the engine running. Just open it up enough till bubbles stop coming out then re tighten.
The air could be coming in via the fuel filter seal or one of the fuel lines to the pump. They are the most common places.
White smoke is from combustion that is too cool . Can be caused by air , incorrect shimming of injectors or timing too advanced.
But air is the most common.

Can the hand primer cause a slight misfire as well and white smoke in the morning

White smoke is from combustion that is too cool .

White smoke is from un-burnt fuel. Does that equal combustion that's too cool?
Air in the fuel disrupts the injection timing so much that fuel didn't get burnt.
When I had an air leak (you tube video above), it would chug out white smoke, and you could smell raw fuel in the cab while driving.

I think the low combustion temp is a byproduct of unburnt fuel/messed up timing

Air in the fuel disrupts the injection timing so much that fuel didn't get burnt.
When I had an air leak (you tube video above), it would chug out white smoke, and you could smell raw fuel in the cab while driving.

I think the low combustion temp is a byproduct of unburnt fuel/messed up timing

Those symptoms are exactly what am experiencing. Smell of diesel fumes in the truck while driving. The intake heater might not be working in my case, hence the white smoke. Will be checking all this today and give feedback later. Cheers for the pointers to possible causes.

Bleed the injectors one at a time with the engine running. Just open it up enough till bubbles stop coming out then re tighten.
The air could be coming in via the fuel filter seal or one of the fuel lines to the pump. They are the most common places.
White smoke is from combustion that is too cool . Can be caused by air , incorrect shimming of injectors or timing too advanced.
But air is the most common.

Will also check the seals and probably replace them as well.

Those symptoms are exactly what am experiencing. Smell of diesel fumes in the truck while driving. The intake heater might not be working in my case, hence the white smoke. Will be checking all this today and give feedback later. Cheers for the pointers to possible causes.

The intake heater has nothing to do with it IMO, unless you're deep in Canadian interior in winter.
It's common to remove the intake heater completely.

Will also check the seals and probably replace them as well.

Most of the time it just needs to be removed and retightened. If your filter is old, maybe replace it to eliminate one thing.

Yes
The way I understand it( I have an old diesel injection text book from one of the state education depts., the type apprentices mechanics have)
It says that when the timing is advanced the fuel enters the combustion chamber and hits the cyl walls . The "whiteness" is from condensation.
Obviously its not the only way you can get white smoke. Other ways are bad glow plugs or low compression, but these are also symptoms of combustion that is too cool.
Timing can be advanced because of weak injector springs allowing the injector to open early, or from a badly adjusted pump.

To burn the fuel properly, the fuel needs to enter the combustion chamber when the air is fully compressed and white hot. It instantly combusts as its sprayed in. I guess it would look like a flame thrower if you could view it in slow motion.

And black smoke is from either too much fuel or a spray pattern that that inhibits a proper swirl pattern

The intake heater has nothing to do with it IMO, unless you're deep in Canadian interior in winter.
It's common to remove the intake heater completely.
Ok. Thanks for the info. Will be replacing the hand primer shortly and bleed from the fuel lines. Hoping this cures the issue, especially the diesel fumes in the truck while driving. will update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom