Thoughts on this 470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's basically got all the mods I'd want for now aside from a mild lift. The miles scare me. But owner is super detail oriented. Coworker checked it out - he's not a huge car guy but keen eye for detail. I was expecting him to nitpick it to death but he liked it. Thoughts? At price is it worth it to the folks here?

1999 Lexus LX470 - fully locked

FWIW - I paid $10K for one that doesn't have all those mods (although a 114K mile truck)...if he can provide the service records I wouldn't be too worried about the milage. Check out the undercarriage, it seems to be a Cali vehicle, so rust shouldn't be a problem...If it was listed close to me, and I hadn't just bought mine...I would be all over it. Just my $.02...

These type finds are kinda of oxymorons to me. The reason the price goes up on the "built" rigs is because the attached build items, obviously. But the rig the items are attached to have been crawled and mawled creating the exact find I would not want to take a chance on. They are most likely to have problems and repairs to deal with. So a built higher mileage rig forced to be pricer higher is a loose loose game for the buyer and seller....IMO.

You need to look at it and take it for a drive if it's not to far away. It seems priced reasonable. It looked like the ad is a couple of months old so I would think price is flexible.

It has the appearance of a rig that has been used hard which means even with
regular maintenance, it will have expensive needs soon with those miles. I would
rather have one that was street driven with no mods, then spend a little on the specific
mods i wanted.

It has the appearance of a rig that has been used hard which means even with
regular maintenance, it will have expensive needs soon with those miles. I would
rather have one that was street driven with no mods, then spend a little on the specific
mods i wanted.

+1. Also, there's the unanswered question: Why selling?

He answered the question of why selling, has two dedicated that replaced this rig. But it never really matters what seller says, inspection is key.

With the add-on not bad price, if all PM is really up to date, something I've yet to find. I would be concerned with TOW. I'd want to know more about transmission flush history and drivability. Additionally I agree off road takes it's toll, so inspect carefully with a 80 or 100 series knowledgeable mechanic.

If PM is not up to date, which is much more than most realize; Well if you wrench expect anywhere from $2k to $6K in parts at wholesale to bring to par. If you must use a shop double or triple that number. This can be done over time on most stuff. How much time depend on how much you'll be driving, is it a DD or a weekend battleship!

I'm with 2001LC, go drive it and see what's what. Looks like a good deal but you gotta drive it and see what it really needs. Consider your detail oriented friends review as a pass and not worth your time to check it over well. Good Luck.

Guy will take $10k - how does that change your thoughts? I don't think the offroad mods were done on the truck until pretty recently i.e. by current owner. Wasn't wheeled its whole life. I'm actually going to go in with $9k cash and let the chips fall.

You need to look at it and take it for a drive if it's not to far away. It seems priced reasonable. It looked like the ad is a couple of months old so I would think price is flexible.

It's flexible. He said he'd take $10k but I'd plan to come in lower. Thousands in cash or cashier's check and be influential.

I've heard mudders say a rule of thumb is take the total of mods (or close as you can to total), divide it in half and add it to the blue book of the vehicle. Are there any cruiser or toyota specific shops in your area you could take it to for inspection?

Guy will take $10k - how does that change your thoughts? I don't think the offroad mods were done on the truck until pretty recently i.e. by current owner. Wasn't wheeled its whole life. I'm actually going to go in with $9k cash and let the chips fall.

I find it odd that without you seeing the vehicle, he already dropped $2,000 of his intended price. Unless you are some sort of expert negotiator, I'd say something is amiss.

I'd offer $7k in person and see what he says -with service records. Otherwise, plenty of other (cleaner) options out there with less mileage.

Make sure to fully test the TJM lockers. Folks have had issues with them.

It's nice if it has the mods you want, but remember the parts are now used, not NIB. I would factor a little for the mods, but people east what they pay in mods when reselling all the time. If you like this total package, 9-10K doesn't seam too bad. Not a great deal though.

Not bad... If you can scrape off a $1K or $2K off the price I would say go for it.

Agree...that at $9-10K it gets it back down into a world of reality.

I would start with $8000 cash and if he says no start walking away.....you can always come up, never down once you make offer. Tell him you will have to think about it if he says no and you will get back to him. REMEMBER AD IS 2 MONTHS OLD AND HE STILL HAS IT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom