What part is this? Transfer Case... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, i’m a little ashamed I don’t know the answer to this, but answers are worth more than my dignity. What is this part? A harmonic balancer? And is it normal that the bolt appears loose (though it is not)?

62328795-B6C4-4445-82FA-2BBE37F93392.jpeg

05CF640A-E526-4522-B921-E806B1BFCD63.jpeg

It's a vibration damper:
upload_2017-12-6_12-48-57.png

Lose looking bolt is normal too

Even WITH the damper....if you place your hand on the transfer case shifter while driving....you will feel quite a bit of vibration.

The purpose of it...is to reduce the vibration the T-case produces... that might otherwise be transmitted to the cab of the vehicle.

It does not appear to be very effective. Many of us pull them off and tossed them in the trash. It makes it easier to do custom exhaust work.

I believe 94 and older don't have

Early Hundys (98-02) have them as well. Place a threaded rod through where the bolt is with jam nuts on both sides and you have an official Toyota dead blow hammer.

You learn something here every day. I had no clue what that was for. Until now

Me too. I guessed it had to do with some sort of vibration but it looked so unusual that I wasn't sure if it was stock or something from the previous owner!

Threadjack warning: Now that you guys are talking about transfercase vibrations... is it normal for the H-L lever to vibrate when you touch it while driving? It seems like the LC lever vibrates more than my old Taco one did. Nothing you can see but you can sure feel it.

Me too. I guessed it had to do with some sort of vibration but it looked so unusual that I wasn't sure if it was stock or something from the previous owner!

Threadjack warning: Now that you guys are talking about transfercase vibrations... is it normal for the H-L lever to vibrate when you touch it while driving? It seems like the LC lever vibrates more than my old Taco one did. Nothing you can see but you can sure feel it.
Mine does some but not visible you have to touch it to know that it is

jeep also has them, at least the yj does but they call it a torque arm..
I think that's different. It's been years since I was under my YJ, but I thought the pad on the YJ was mean to contact the trans mount when the drivetrain twisted under torque.

Nope my 97 lx does - not sure if the LC does too though
Yea your 97 does because it is newer then 94 so will your cruiser unless it's been pulled or has had t case changed

Oops, can't read backwards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom