Removal of the lower metal dash (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello mates. Could anyone give me a hint on how to remove the lower metal cluster?
Okay, so far I have managed to take out all the nuts on both ends, but I am struggling on how to remove the manual accelerator (right side of the steering wheel) and the two bolts
and are just above the hazard switch.
Any help will be appreciated.
Best

2017-12-06 22.09.21.jpg

I mean ... and the two bolts which are just above the hazard switch.

Thanks. No, my questions are:
1) what is the procedure for removing the manual accelerator? Should I just turn the knob like a screw, like the chocke?
Or is it the bolt right behind it?

2) How one gets access to those nuts below the hazard switch?

Best,

2017-12-06 22.26.54.jpg

Any other good soul out there with the knowledge on how to remove the hand accelerator knob in order to free the metal lower instrument panel?

There is a lock nut on the back side of the throttle lock knob. You will also need to unhook it from the throttle pedal to remove it completely.

It's hard to know what you mean by bolts by the hazard switch. The steering column is supported by two bolts through clamps biting the steering bucket and four bolts through the firewall. (These clamps allow the steering wheel to collapse in a collision. Using the correct torque listed in the FSM when reattaching the column is VERY important.)

When the column is lowered you will have access to the bolts connecting the metal dash to the steering bucket. I do not remember if you have to drop the bucket as well as the column.

Good luck.

There is a lock nut on the back side of the throttle lock knob. You will also need to unhook it from the throttle pedal to remove it completely.

It's hard to know what you mean by bolts by the hazard switch. The steering column is supported by two bolts through clamps biting the steering bucket and four bolts through the firewall. (These clamps allow the steering wheel to collapse in a collision. Using the correct torque listed in the FSM when reattaching the column is VERY important.)

When the column is lowered you will have access to the bolts connecting the metal dash to the steering bucket. I do not remember if you have to drop the bucket as well as the column.

Good luck.

Jaggernaught,
Are the four nuts in the photo the ines you talk about?

And from which point do I have to disconnect the hand accelerator cable, do you know?

2017-12-07 07.54.10.jpg

Those are the four bolts he mentioned. If you remove the two bottom bolts and install longer replacements, instead of removing the bolts all the way, you can remove the top two bolts all of the way and temporrily hang the firewall end of the column assembly off the two longer bottom bolts. It'll make reinstallation a lot easier.

And you don't have to drop the pedal bucket, just the column.

Jaggernaught,
Are the four nuts in the photo the ines you talk about?

And from which point do I have to disconnect the hand accelerator cable, do you know?

View attachment 1587521
No need to touch those 4 bolts on the fire wall. Just undo the two (19 or 17mm) bolts that hold the column up. There’s one on each side of the column close to the metal frame you’re removing. Then it will hang down far enough to access those two 12mm bolts you’re referencing.

CenTXFj60,
Thank you for this tip too. I am learning from zero. I have undone those two bolts holding the column up but cannot gain enough room. I guess this probably due by the fact that the steering adjustment on my rig is stuck with the steering in the highest position. Any other idea?

Best regards

CenTXFj60,
Thank you for this tip too. I am learning from zero. I have undone those two bolts holding the column up but cannot gain enough room. I guess this probably due by the fact that the steering adjustment on my rig is stuck with the steering in the highest position. Any other idea?

Best regards
Hmmm....do you have anything from the wire harness or AC ducts keeping it from dropping down. If not then u should do as John stated above and remove (or loosen) the 4 on the firewall.

I am afraid not. Thanks, I'll try that way
Ok. I’ve done this a few times and gained enough clearance to hit it with a 3/8” ratchet.

CenTXFj60, 4Cruisers and Jaggernaught, all most helpful. thanks!
Firewall bolts removed in a few minutes. Great tip that of placing two tenporary longer bolts in view of reinstallation. Thank you!

Now, in possible a little help more with the hand throttle knob and wire.
Has anyone any tip on how this should be best removed from the lower metal frame?
It's seems pretty complex...

Thank you!

2017-12-07 20.09.58.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom