Thoughts on this electric heater (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at this heater on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000A6H1IS/ref=cm_cr_srp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Does anyone have this one or a similar model that you recommend? I have approx 600sf to heat that is insulated.
I will be running new electric lines for the heater install.

I would like to use electric as propane tanks are not feasible in this area and wood is not an option at this time.

Thanks for any help or recomondations.

How much is a 7500w heater going to cost to run?

Good question. I will probably keep it about 40-45 degrees unless I am working in the garage for the day then need 55 or so.

That heater will be more than enough. I ran a 4000w “hot one” from Home Depot in my 1000 sq ft insulated garage for 10 years. It’s 240v and was able to maintain temps of 65+ if so desired. I believe the bearing was failing on the fan motor so I’m now using a heater made by King.

Last edited:
Does anyone have this one or a similar model that you recommend? I have approx 600sf to heat that is insulated.

I would like to use electric as propane tanks are not feasible in this area and wood is not an option at this time.

@sean2202, I've been doing a lot of similar research.

Curious why propane tanks aren't an option for you? Do you have natural gas in your area / neighborhood?

The way that the house is situated on the property there is no way to hide a propane tank without running a long line or burying the tank. The long term plan is to tap into the furnace for the garage when the furnace is replaced. For now I think an electric heater will do. Thanks for the link.

The way that the house is situated on the property there is no way to hide a propane tank without running a long line or burying the tank. The long term plan is to tap into the furnace for the garage when the furnace is replaced. For now I think an electric heater will do. Thanks for the link.
So, are you dealing with restrictions from a home owners' association, or looking to not deal with permitting? I'm not policing, I don't care, just curious.

I did some calculations last week, looking at average costs of electricity vs propane in Franklin County, MA, and propane was cheaper overtime, despite the higher installation cost.

Again, not putting you on the spot, just trying to help and share info.

No natural gas???
Electric will just get very expensive. Also propane will dry you out pretty good. Id paln on keeping it just above freezing when you wont be out there. Then an hour before go kick it on.
Gas is soooo cheap these days im putting in a 50k BTU gas unit in my garage unit was $600

IMG_3756.PNG

One of these will blast an insulated 600sqft up to temp easily and cheaply with diesel. Even cheaper with died diesel. Only real downside IMO is they are a bit noisy.

@swelltimes the only restrictions is my wife and I do agree with her as you drive up to the house generally people go to the back of the garage to enter the house and the tank would be visible and ugly.I could build a storage building for the tank but that requires more time and work for me. We are in the country and there is no natural gas or real restrictions. I agree that propane is cheaper and would heat better. Thanks for the input and link.

@Varty Yo I probably will keep temps in that range it a little higher

@thatcabledude I have a propane one similar to that that runs off of a grill tank that I use now to unthaw things or need a quick warmup.

I am also looking at this unitIN STOCK QMark Model MUH102 Electric Unit Heater

@swelltimes the only restrictions is my wife and I do agree with her as you drive up to the house generally people go to the back of the garage to enter the house and the tank would be visible and ugly.I could build a storage building for the tank but that requires more time and work for me. We are in the country and there is no natural gas or real restrictions. I agree that propane is cheaper and would heat better. Thanks for the input and link.

@Varty Yo I probably will keep temps in that range it a little higher

@thatcabledude I have a propane one similar to that that runs off of a grill tank that I use now to unthaw things or need a quick warmup.

I am also looking at this unitIN STOCK QMark Model MUH102 Electric Unit Heater

@sean2202, I really think you owe it to yourself to call a plumber / HVAC contractor, and get a quote on propane heat. A good gas fitter can run some piping to move your propane tanks to a less visible spot.

As far as I know, based on my research and speaking with the HVAC estimator from my fuel provider, propane is cheaper in long run.

I don't know what electricity rates are in CT, but here in MA, they're going up and up, faster than propane prices.

I have a similar unit, was on sale so I impulsed it. I would've rather had gas but those are not easy to come by affordably. My garage is standard 2-car, so not vaulted our high ceilings, This unit is ceiling mounted maybe 2' from outside wall and mid-point on wall. Garage is currently NOT insulated (SE UT, so not a big deal, but it does get to mid-low 30s during the seep of winter IN the garage (overnight outside teens to low 20s). It puts out a surprsing amount of heat and has warmed the garage about a degree per 10 minutes (IIRC) from a quick test last winter...
I added a 30a circuit for it, hard-wired to 240 in a new panel when I upgraded my home to 200A service a couple years ago.

So yeah, functional and good but I'm not running it to maintain temps... I'm mostly just not very productive in winter. . . .
I'll try to dump pix and specs ...

View attachment 1588570
One of these will blast an insulated 600sqft up to temp easily and cheaply with diesel. Even cheaper with died diesel. Only real downside IMO is they are a bit noisy.

That's just a little guy. I went all out one year and bought the 140,000-180,000 model to heat up my 400ft2 of garage. Get it up to a toasty 100 degrees in there if you like. Downsides are the noise of the fan and the smell of the diesel.

We have a 125,000 BTU one, but it is kerosene only ($5gal) and very loud. The little diesel one is pretty good and surprisingly has little odor. I think it is a 75,000 btu.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom