Considering an Hdj81 over my 100. Talk me off the ledge! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am strongly considering getting a hdj81 and getting rid of my 100.

I have always wanted a diesel LC and have a bead on one with about the same miles as my 100.

I posted up in the 80 section and of course everyone says to do it.

Just thought I would ask the same in the 100 section to get the opinions of the 100 crowd.

Thanks in advance!

Greg

Can't you get a diesel 100, or is it the 80 your after. I have a 4.7 but I am in the minority over here, the 4.2 is the normal. I just hate diesels but have been considering buying one for overlanding.

Can't you get a diesel 100, or is it the 80 your after. I have a 4.7 but I am in the minority over here, the 4.2 is the normal. I just hate diesels but have been considering buying one for overlanding.
No stock diesel 100s here in the states. A vehicle has to be 25 years old before it can be imported, so an 80 is the newest option available to me.

Oh right, why is that? They don't even sell the land cruiser over here know though, only the prado.

Because lawmakers here stateside are idiots. They'd rather me drive a 12mpg V8 on ethanol blend than a diesel that gets way better mileage. Makes no sense whatsoever.

Sure, go ahead and get it! If you don't plan on every passing anything on the highway except desert turtles...
Oh, you might want to wonder over the Slee site and check the improvements of the 100 over the 80 series and I'm not just talking about seat warmers... The 100 series has a stronger rack and the frame is stiffer and stronger too. Yes you do have the solid axle front end but it won't ride as nice as a 100. But that's where personal preference comes in. Enjoy!

I think of the 80 as a mud terrain tire, you would only buy one if you really need its offroad capabilities, otherwise its to much of a compromise. A clean diesel 80 are going for good money over here now as the overland community love them, triple locked from factory, solid axle. I just don't need that myself, I do like that they have a viscous coupler though, I don't understand why the 100 has a open diff as I would like AWD for the winter months and the option to lock if needed.

@gblakley If you always wanted one, you should get one. Otherwise you'll never be satisfied. But if you can, I'd suggest holding onto both until you can make a firm decision. I have a couple Toyota diesels, one of them RHD. I'm completely used to it but much prefer to drive LHD in our LHD country. The diesels are cool because they get better mileage, good for towing and great engine braking. But if not for that, I'd prefer the characteristics of a gasser..... (though a 1VD-FTW engine might change my mind).

That is hopefully my next truck, a 4.5 200. It is the last land cruiser they sold over here, the 100 was the last one to run on gas. The 200 are just so much money with to many aids. Before long you will just sit in the back as a passenger and they will drive up the mountains by themselves. Who else thinks crawl control is one step to far, it helps a lot most probably but to me it just takes something away, it is like handing the keys over to a more capable friend when the going gets tough.

Funny the differences between Euro market and US market. We want diesels and cant get them, you have diesels and prefer petrol. Diesels rock for these heavy platforms- great torque, good fuel economy and range.

Cummins has recently introduced a 5.0L v8 Diesel- used in the Nissan Titan. If I had more money than sense I’d figure out how to fit one in a 100.

@gblakley If you always wanted one, you should get one. Otherwise you'll never be satisfied. But if you can, I'd suggest holding onto both until you can make a firm decision. I have a couple Toyota diesels, one of them RHD. I'm completely used to it but much prefer to drive LHD in our LHD country. The diesels are cool because they get better mileage, good for towing and great engine braking. But if not for that, I'd prefer the characteristics of a gasser..... (though a 1VD-FTW engine might change my mind).

I don't agree to get one because you always wanted one. I made that mistake buying a Ural Gear Up and what a mistake....TOTAL JUNK.
I got rid of it. Do your homework and get it if it is a good one and will work for your needs.
20170202_195753.jpg

diesel plus solid axle for the win, doooo eetttt

I don't agree to get one because you always wanted one. I made that mistake buying a Ural Gear Up and what a mistake....TOTAL JUNK.
I got rid of it. Do your homework and get it if it is a good one and will work for your needs.
View attachment 1586839
Yeah but if you never went ahead and got one, you'd still be wishing today that you had. Just because it didn't live up to your expectation doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. If that were the case, I wouldn't be driving a Land Cruiser with a smile on my face everyday.

I have always like those and we are starting to see them come in more and more in the US, which will bring the price down a little.. Now finding someone to work on it for a good price might be the issue for me... Hang out in the JDM area here and read about finding parts, smoke , turbos, temps , plugs , cold starts and heads... completely diff type of issues than the 100s..

Last edited:
Why not buy a US spec 80 and turbo the 1FZ? 300+ whp and 500+ wtq shouldn't be that hard :hillbilly:

"Always wanted one" kinda means the person has given it a much thought over an extended period time. The only way to find out is to buy or borrow one. Diesel 80's are high in demand. There's probably little/no loss (maybe even profit) if he decides to resale it.... granted the LC checks out mechanically. It's not anything like buying a Russian motorcycle. :rofl::cheers:

Well after a long discussion with my wife, we (she) have decided to stick with the 100 for now. I have a problem with falling in love with vehicles before fully getting the clearance from the boss.

Someday I will fulfill the itch for a diesel LC, just not now.

On that note, there is a nice Hdj81 for sale on Craigslist, check it out.
Land Cruiser Turbo Diesel Adventure

I would say go get it, test drive one and see if you like it. Don't over think it. I love my 80, hang on to it for the longest time still today but decided to sell it soon as I am not driving it for the past few yrs as I would jump in the 200 every time, I love the refinement Of the newer cruiser. I always wanted a defender 110 until I test drive my bro in law new 110, hated the handling, drive like a pig so slow, loud and bumpy. The 80 is light years away. The classic look is the killer though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom