Picking up My 2008 LX570 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m picking up my new to me 2008 LX570. I have a PPI appointment with the local Lexus dealer that serviced the truck since new. What all should I look for other than the obvious rust, dents, interior rips, nav non-operable, etc. what parts should also come with the car? It has the wireless headphones for the rear DVD and key fob. Should there be anything else I need to know about?

Cool. Can I see the towers through the engine shroud and next to the UCAs? What about the coolant? Top of the rad and heater Ts? Where are the heater Ts located on the LX570? I have those loaded on my PPI, but I’ll check them out to. Thanks for the help!

check:
1. upper radiator coolant leak , know problems radiator cracks on top square area .
2. measure if the truck not sagging more that spected on each side
3. front drive rattling noise .
4. Second button start uphill - see if the truck lock toque converter . if not it will start rolling back.

Good stuff. That’s what I did with my 1998 LC.

Good list above. I'd add running through AHC on all heights (make sure doors are closed first LOL or it will just sit there) and engaging/disengaging the center diff as well.

Yes it should have a dvd remote, two wireless headphones and at least two keys, some had a third credit card style key as well. Tire tools in tailgate on right side - left side empty.

Third row seat center headrest in zippered compartment of driver side third row seat

Cam tower leak and [snip...]

EDIT: I stand corrected. Follow-up post below.

Note that the cam tower leaks never effected the LX570s. The 5.7 motor in the LX was manufactured in Japan, vs the US. The cam tower leak was specific to the manufacturing line of the 5.7s in the US. Something about a light film of oil on the sealing surface when the sealant was applied.

Last edited:
Really, what about the LC? It seems like a few folks on the forum have had some failures

Note that the cam tower leaks never effected the LX570s. The 5.7 motor in the LX was manufactured in Japan, vs the US. The cam tower leak was specific to the manufacturing line of the 5.7s in the US. Something about a light film of oil on the sealing surface when the sealant was applied.

Are you suggesting the 200 series Land Cruiser received an American built 5.7 but the LX did not?! I would like to see that source. I find it hard to believe the engines would be made in the US then shipped to Japan for assembly while 5.7s are already being made for the 200 in Japan. I know in the 100 series they had a Japanese built 4.7, but the sequoia and tundra received American made 4.7s. I would presume it’s the same with 200s.

I believe I'm mistaken and confused the Tundra 5.7 motor production with the LC. (Tundras had a rash of these problems) You're absolutely right, I don't believe the 200-series platform was ever produced domestically. They all come off the same Yoshiwara plant.

My initial thought is I don't ever recall a post on the cam tower lead pertaining to the LX570, which lead to my post. Similar to the rash of radiator leaks. Not much if any posts in regards to that. Lexus does have higher quality requirements for their suppliers, even for a sister vehicle. While I am wrong on the engine production, there is potentially variation in process for them.

I believe I'm mistaken and somehow confused the Tundra 5.7 motor production with the LC. Your absolutely right, I don't believe the 200-series platform was ever produced domestically. They all come off the same Yoshiwara plant.

My initial thought is I don't ever recall a post on the cam tower lead pertaining to the LX570, which lead to my post. Similar to the rash of radiator leaks. Not much if any posts in regards to that. Lexus does have higher quality requirements for their suppliers, even for a sister vehicle. While I am wrong on the engine production, there is potentially variation in process for them.

No problem. I actually really hope you're right that LXs aren't affected now that I own one!! :D

Check for a hairline crack on the radiator...extending from the rectangular indentation where the radiator's part label is. This typically blows out by your age of truck.

Ask about whether the starter and alternator have been replaced along wit the water pump.

Starter, Alternator, Water pump and Radiator all tend to die after 6-9 years on these trucks.

Thanks guys. I made it to Reno. The car is nice. Some small scratches and scuffs, nothing that cannot be buffed out. One 3/4 scratch that dug into the primer level. I’ll need that fixed, but I knew about it. The MB dealership change the oil/filter, air filter wiper blades, rear brake pads, and cabin air filter. that the filter that can break the recir door? Please advise. The total cost for the MB dealer to fix those issues was $698. No charge to me. I’m at the PPI at Dolan Lexus. I gave them the list of cam towers - timing cover leaks, ahc, rack and pinion and hvac check.

Nothing came back as a concern with the LX from my PPI. I did pull the trigger on a 3yr/36k warranty. I got the guy down to $3k, which was the absolute best he could do. It cover everything but brake pads, hoses, consumable parts. I figured if the rack or the cam towers leak, that would run about $4k. I got 17mpg at 85 mph, 19.5 at 80, and 21.5 at 75mph. Considering my 1998 got 13 at 65mph and 9 at 75 mph, I'm pretty happy with my new Prius

Congrats! I do wonder how you are getting these numbers. I consistently get 13.5-14mpg on the highway. Consumer Reports, when they tested an 08 LC got exactly 14 miles to the gallon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom