Black paint for an expedition rig? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Those of you who have or had owned a black 100 series, what do you think of this color for an expedition rig? I have a hard time finding a white 100 that I like and can afford but I’ve seen a few interesting ones in black.
How much hotter does it get? I assume black shows the all the scratches you get on the trail.

I had a black sedan in the past and it was a pain to keep clean. This will be parked outside in SoCal so I’m worried it will never look good.

You're right.... it will never look good. Unless you pay $1,000+ every year to get a paint correction done right. Actually you're in Cali so paint correction there is gonna be even more.

Would never do black, but I know there are a ton of people here that will disagree. If you don't care about swirls and scratches and the car always looking dusty, go for it. It's not a show car after all.

If it's an expedition vehicle, it will show dirt regardless of color! Black looks awesome on a Hundy.

DSC_0205.jpg

Find a clean 100 with good maint history, lower miles and minimal rust. IMO, Color is secondary if youre building a truck for overland use, you can always wrap it in a different color.

Ive got a black truck that lives outside gets washed once a week and buffed once a year. Yeah its not easy to keep clean, shows pinstripes etc but those usually buff out.

4B851C1B-B851-4D3F-B30C-8CF879E1FEDC.jpeg

I wanted white as well but found a clean black example within my budget and that's what I went with. Having owned mostly white cars in the past, I can't really say that it gets any hotter, overall. It might reach max temp faster, but if it does, it's not noticeable. I don't stress about keeping it clean.
Roof Rack 3.jpg

Color is secondary to a good clean unit.

Mahogany pearl representin'.

I live in AS and have had zero issues with our black LX temps run consistently at 188 and ac blows cold

This will be parked outside in SoCal so I’m worried it will never look good.

Don't be silly! Its a 100 Series, it will always look good. Especially as you build it up.

I too wanted a white cruiser, but a very well maintained 100 Series from California presented itself and I couldn't say no. The only issues I've had with black is that I like to hang my arm out of the window when the weather is nice and it tends to get pretty hot to the touch. That however doesn't affect the engine or coolant temps at all and the AC always blows cold. No matter what the temps are outside, hot or cold, it seems my scan-gauge always reads between 188-192F.

My truck is pin stripped all to hell, and you can definitely see it plain as day, but I built this rig to take me down any fire road or trail that presents itself; pin stripes should be expected. I came out of my local Home Depot one afternoon this summer to see a guy basically under my truck he was checking it out so thoroughly (He owned a built 4Runner). He was thrilled to see all the stripes down the side of it saying "I can tell you use this thing from all the pin stripes".

If you're really that concerned, learn to use a buffing wheel and some good quality wax and call it a day... or don't take it on the trails... inevitably you'll one day find yourself down a trail that is overgrown and way too thin and you'll drive yourself nuts cringing at the sound of branches screeching down the side of your paint.

2.JPG

IMG_1797 (2).jpg

Here's a nice light colored truck I snapped a pic of while at HIH7- light colors kind show the dirt too.... (my inspiration for the Method NV's)

IMG_2225.jpg

Those of you who have or had owned a black 100 series, what do you think of this color for an expedition rig? I have a hard time finding a white 100 that I like and can afford but I’ve seen a few interesting ones in black.
How much hotter does it get? I assume black shows the all the scratches you get on the trail.

I had a black sedan in the past and it was a pain to keep clean. This will be parked outside in SoCal so I’m worried it will never look good.
Well... Considering you live in HB, I'm in San Clemente, just a few surf breaks south of you, you should have a good idea of what summer time temps are here in So. Cal. But if you like to do a lot of high country and more northern latitude 4 wheeling, the black would be nice keeping your rig warmer. Also if it's not a daily driver, then for sure go for it.
But then again, here is So. Cal, how many black Caddy SUV's do you see around the malls every day, a lot! So if those rich soccer mom's can deal with the heat, I guess you could too.

Another thing, why in the world are you worried about keeping it clean??? A little dirt on the wheel wells and dust on the hood does a rig good. After all it is meant for off roading... Or is it??

Cheers!

Well... Considering you live in HB, I'm in San Clemente, just a few surf breaks south of you, you should have a good idea of what summer time temps are here in So. Cal. But if you like to do a lot of high country and more northern latitude 4 wheeling, the black would be nice keeping your rig warmer. Also if it's not a daily driver, then for sure go for it.
But then again, here is So. Cal, how many black Caddy SUV's do you see around the malls every day, a lot! So if those rich soccer mom's can deal with the heat, I guess you could too.

Another thing, why in the world are you worried about keeping it clean??? A little dirt on the wheel wells and dust on the hood does a rig good. After all it is meant for off roading... Or is it??

Cheers!

Touché. It’s just my OCD lol

My black LC looks amazing when it’s clean. Not great when it’s dirty in person, but it still looks Clean in photographs. Isn’t that what really matters?!

B33924FC-DA42-4E6A-92A7-B347100B9CE8.jpeg

C1DD4549-CE0B-40F5-B139-2F547F611C40.png

0DD9525D-3FFA-4C59-8E51-FF4DB90F5233.jpeg

Scratches? Just enjoy it! My silver 100 had so many scratches it looks matte.

Thank you all for chimiming in, I think black is back on the table, I love all the pictures you posted.
@r2m - I know how to buff a car, I have all the supplies. I had to learn when I had a black honda :)
@willbt - call me ocd, I do like to keep my rig clean in between trail runs. This is my Montero, it has a fair amount of pin stripes.

By the way if know anyone selling a good 100 send him my way, I hope to join this club properly.

983D02A9-CA8A-4677-B37A-7291C1EBF5A8.jpeg

I have a black LX and a white Ford Cmax (company car). I live in San Diego and neither car stays clean for more than a couple days. If you want a color that doesn't show dirt, you should be looking for silver or tan/gold. Black wasn't my ideal choice for the 100, not because of it getting dirty but because it shows scratches, but the truck was in good shape so I jumped on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom