Screws stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,

Hope I'm in the right forum, to ask this question. I can't take credit for being a mechanic, so I hope someone who can will help me out here. The side mirror of my FJ62, 1988, is bouncing just enough for me to get annoyed by it, so I'm trying to take it apart. But I'm having struggles...

These three screws won't move. Not a single millimeter. I've tried to give them WD-40 and let it soak for a couple of days (I've repeated this three times). I've tried to stuff the head of the screw with aluminum foil and then screwdrive it out. Still no luck. I do not have a drill or a screw extractor. You guys got any tricks up the sleeve?

Advice much appreciated :)

IMG_20171203_095509-640x480.jpg

IMG_20171203_100028-640x480.jpg

IMG_20171203_100023-640x480.jpg

IMG_20171203_095456-480x640.jpg

WD-40 is not a rust penetrant. Better options are PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or (my favorite) Kroil.

I have had remarkable success with stuck screws like that with my cordless impact driver. You just have to go slow, a few hits at a time, and you have to push down HARD on the bit so it doesn't strip out. But, if you don't have a drill, it's unlikely you'll have an impact driver.

WD-40 is not a rust penetrant. Better options are PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, or (my favorite) Kroil.

I have had remarkable success with stuck screws like that with my cordless impact driver. You just have to go slow, a few hits at a time, and you have to push down HARD on the bit so it doesn't strip out. But, if you don't have a drill, it's unlikely you'll have an impact driver.

Thanks @KLF, I'll find some PB blaster and let it soak. If that doesn't work I'll go to a mechanic and have him drille them out :)

Cheers!

We usually use the impact driver for that kind of screw. The inside is definitely rusted.

Use a JIS cross tip screwdriver, not a Phillips. Toyota did not use a single Phillips screw, they are all JIS cross tip. It make a world of difference.

Dyno

Use a JIS cross tip screwdriver, not a Phillips. Toyota did not use a single Phillips screw, they are all JIS cross tip. It make a world of difference.

Dyno
Problem is that he is traveling between Peru and Ecuador right now so finding a JIS screwdriver is probably going to be slim to nil.

I would also recommend a JIS screwdriver. I live in Western Europe and I could ONLY find them on Ebay in France. No chance everywhere else. But as already stated: Push in as hard as possible.

Apply as much torque as you can without your screwdriver slipping with one hand and smack with a hammer at the same time. Poor boy impact driver. Can also try same technique going "tighter" to get fastener to move prior to trying to back it out. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom