Having buyers remorse. New FZJ80 owners blues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure where to begin. I am a former 40 owner and current mini truck owner. Over the summer I purchased a very clean 95 from southern California. 2 owner truck with some documentation and repair history but not extensive. It is triple locked, white and runs good. It has 211k miles. I probably paid too much but I looked at several trucks in the 5 to 8k range and they were just rough. I wanted something a little nicer so I ended up finding this one and got him down to 11k for it. The interior and exterior are in very good shape. Original paint shines and no dings anywhere. Just finished replacing the springs with OME stock height with new DuraTrac tires.

The reason for purchase was to eventually replace the mini truck as I want something with a little more room and Ive always liked the 80. Since I got it home Ive been doing some maintenance and repairs. Ive replaced the radiator and flushed the cooling system, replaced water valve, fixed p0401 code, replaced low range switch, replaced right front door latch. Now Ive got a new code p0420. Gonna replace the O2 sensors as theyre probably original. I guess my issue is I'm not sure that I can trust this thing on an off road trip. I probably shouldn't have bought something with this much miles on it. This is my first 80 so I am not very knowledgeable with them and that is probably one reason I feel the way I do. I am pretty mechanically able as I've owned and rebuilt a number of older vehicles. I just feel like this truck has so many potential issues that could leave you stranded. I realized when I bought it that it would need repairs along the way but now I'm feeling I might have bit off more than I want to chew.

Reactions: RFB
Uuuhhh, 211K isn't alot.

I had a 36xK 80 that ran perfect. And a ton of others here can top my old odometer by 100K more.

Once you do all the maintenance that was 'deferred' to you, you'll be singing a different tune. At least you have that Penny Racer/windup car for a DD :D

It's a 22 year old truck with over 200K miles. If the cooling system is up to snuff (new rubber everywhere) and the front axle is serviced, the rest of it is just cost of ownership. Other than PHH hose, there are no real Achilles' Heels to the truck. Read the FAQ. They eat brakes and you need to stay on top of the cooling system; beyond that they're far more reliable than any other 20 year old truck.

Most likely an O2 sensor.

Don't understand your uneasiness with the vehicle. You'll need/want to 'baseline' ANY used vehicle you buy that is beyond a certain number or years or mileage, right?

Has it left you stranded anywhere? If you are that easily 'spooked' by the vehicle, I'm sure it would be easy to sell.

PM me if interested in selling.

Take a deep breath bro. It’ll be fine. Take a systematic approach and search on here for answers.

FWIW, I drove my 93 back from Cali, 2000+ miles with a questionable (at best) maintenance history. Drove through parts of Nevada where I didn’t see another human for 60 miles at a time. Never sweated it a bit. Fixed a few things and did some maintenance on it and hopped in it 9 months later with my son and drove 4400 miles in the dead of Winter, living out of it. Didn’t even skip a beat.

Oh, and it has 348k on it. Had sh!tty paint and an interior that looked and smelled like raccoons had an orgy in it.

Everything will be fine. These things were built for third world applications. You 80 has been babied, relatively speaking.

Start wheeling with it and then let's hear what you have to say.

Zona

Most likely an O2 sensor.

Don't understand your uneasiness with the vehicle. You'll need/want to 'baseline' ANY used vehicle you buy that is beyond a certain number or years or mileage, right?

Has it left you stranded anywhere? If you are that easily 'spooked' by the vehicle, I'm sure it would be easy to sell.

I agree that I'd be baselining anything I got with the age and mileage of this. It has not left me stranded but I haven't driven it much yet either. Probably just general unfamiliarity with the truck.

I agree that I'd be baselining anything I got with the age and mileage of this. It has not left me stranded but I haven't driven it much yet either. Probably just general unfamiliarity with the truck.

I’m a :banana::banana: mechanic, at most. There is virtually nothing on an 80 that scares me shy of a complete rebuild. These things are stupid easy.

Remember, they were designed to be kept on the road with duct tape and bailing wire.

It's a 22 year old truck with over 200K miles. If the cooling system is up to snuff (new rubber everywhere) and the front axle is serviced, the rest of it is just cost of ownership. Other than PHH hose, there are no real Achilles' Heels to the truck. Read the FAQ. They eat brakes and you need to stay on top of the cooling system; beyond that they're far more reliable than any other 20 year old truck.

Previous owner did do the PHH a few years ago and I do have the receipt for that. Gonna replace all of the hoses this spring.

Like I said, sell it if you are concerned.

But be forewarned: 'SELLERS remorse' is worse than 'Buyers remorse'.

I'd wager...you have a perfectly good vehicle, just in need of a few 'baseline' items that will help give you confidence in it.

My '97 has almost 300K on it and I'd drive it across the country without hesitation. Give your Cruiser a 'chance'.

Hey @zona what is your version of this as compared to a mini truck? :rofl:

Zona Cowboy.png

Drive that thing. Get AAA. Done. I have been driving cruisers for like 21 years now........never ever had one strand me. Limped home yes....but left...never.

02 sensors don’t always need replacement. You can pull it. Heat it to red hot the drop it in some water. This will clean off all the carbon. May need to repeat. I did this a few thousand miles ago and all is good.

Also, before checking 02 sensors some
Have had issues with the wiring behind the glovebox chafing and causing issues. Quick and free to remove the glovebox to inspect wiring. Also inspect it at the firewall behind the engine there are some threads here on it if you use search.

I did and felt the same these things just go wherever you point em. do the PHH and you already did cooolant oil fluids brake pads.

As long as it is maintained well, you should not have to worry about catastrophic failure. Just like @LS1FJ40 said, they are fairly simple. Even if a sensor acts up it will probably get you home. Lots of newer rigs with more electronics end up needing a tow when they experience minor sensor glitches. The resale on a clean 3x locked truck is good though, so enjoy it lightly till you gain some confidence in it. If you still feel uneasy, sell it. It is just a vehicle, nothing special. So while I may get trashed on for dismissing the almighty 80 series that way, I feel that it is better for you to sell it and get something you will use rather than keep it and not use it for fear that she leaves you stranded.

I purchased my 1997 80 series sight unseen with 198K. The description my buddy gave was less than stellar. Pukes oil, gets 7 miles to the gallon, and smells like racoons had an orgy in the back. That being said, I baselined the rig, got to know it on several 12 hours trips over the last decade, and absolutely fell in love with it. My son learned to drive in it when he was too tiny to see over the dash (sat on my lap) and now he is 6'2".

The 80 is an amazing platform that will serve you well. If it is a daily driver, get a camry to tool around town in while you increase your comfort and its reliability. The age of these rigs does mean that there will be some headaches but I have had more smiles in the Land Cruiser family than any other brand.

I am a new fj80 owner as well. I bought a cheap rig and then had similar feelings, until I wheeled it. Just don't over think it. It's good to do PM but at some point you have to just take the thing out, enjoy the machine, and all of your hard work. They say life is what happens while your busy making plans. Don't let working on the machine get in the way of enjoying it. As long as you have everything you need to change a tire, a tow strap, some extra water. What is the worst that could happen?

Put or shut up.

Stop whining and drive it.

But check your nuts and lube your shafts before you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom