Wife's rack is sloppy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1999 LX470 just ticked 180K miles, and there is a lot of slop in the rack. Almost +/- 1" of play at the tire with one wheel up in the air!

I can't find any new OEM racks for sale even the dealer is pushing a rebuilt unit.

What would you guys do? What company makes a good quality rebuild?

Mac

New OEM rack is readily available. I suggest looking elsewhere. If the actual rack itself is tight and not leaking you can replace inner and outer tie rods to tighten things up.

New oem rack is available online for about $750, but start with tie rods as @DirtDawg suggested if your rack isn't leaking.

Where? All if can find is OEM Rebuilds.

There haven't been brand new OEM in a long time. The dealer will sell you a re-man rack. CVJ is supposed to be really good, I inquired with them and they didn't have any on hand... so I would have to send my rack in to be rebuilt and have sent back to me. I ended up buying good aftermarket through my buddies shop.

You probably have bad inner tie rods, and bushings if it's moving that much.

I'd call to verify, but 6-7 years ago there were hardly any new ones to be had. Unless they started making more, I'd assume these are remans.... if they are brand new for $500 that's a smoking deal. Although a Toyota reman for $500 would be a good deal too, they are good quality.

????????

So this is reman?
44250-60050 - Genuine Lexus GEAR ASSY, POWER STEERING(FOR RACK & PINION)

And this?
Steering Gear - Toyota (44250-60050)

And this?
Steering Gear - Toyota (44250-60050) | Toyota Parts

Etc., etc., etc. tons of links to OEM racks for around $500 + ~$45 shipping. None of these are new?

@Asanka - that's odd, I purchased the rack back in July.

@Asanka - that's odd, I purchased the rack back in July.

Interesting, from where did you buy it? I would buy one and keep. Will need sometime in the future.

Interesting, from where did you buy it? I would buy one and keep. Will need sometime in the future.

toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.com

No sweat, 44250-60100 still available =)

VGRS is the likely difference.

DOH! Inner tie rod ends!

Just assumed it was the worse case!

So on the list is:

Inner and outer tie rods.
I have a torn CV boot so I figure the joint is toast. So a set of CV axles
Might as well upgrade to vented and slotted rotors if I rip all that out...

There haven't been brand new OEM in a long time. The dealer will sell you a re-man rack. CVJ is supposed to be really good, I inquired with them and they didn't have any on hand... so I would have to send my rack in to be rebuilt and have sent back to me. I ended up buying good aftermarket through my buddies shop.

You probably have bad inner tie rods, and bushings if it's moving that much.

I bought new rack around October. It was definitely not labeled as re-man, and Toyota did not have a core charge, meaning they did not want the old rack back.

Interesting comment about CVJ, I called them after I serviced my wife's rack and they sent me a shipping tag to send them the old rack off the 470. So if they don't have any on hand I am guess they sold the re-build already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom