New to me FJC (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after many years with every year of Toyota trucks and 4 runners . And always wanting a FJ40 . (Someday I will find the right one ) I decided to get the next best thing . A 2009 FJC. This will be mainly used for off-road trips . First big trip the FJ summit. Then Moab next sept . My dream trip is to do the drive to Alaska and I am
Going to do that now . This is going to be a fun build . The pics are of day 1 with the FJ .

IMG_4854.JPG

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

First mod

IMG_4880.JPG

The plan rt now is stage 3 icon lift. 285s. Stt pro tires not sure on wheels yet . All pro sliders . Either Demello or Expadition one front and rear bumpers . Bud built skids Inchworm lefty t-case warn winch still not sure what one . On board air . And whatever else I can think of along the way . Open to input .

Welcome... Driving my FJ Cruiser to Alaska's North Slope was the first big trip I did... You'll have a great time. Alaska is an experience that can never be duplicated.

OMG you got me looking for FJ's for my son. I have mentioned that he wants a 4X4 Taco, thank goodness, more of those around but the prices in N Cal for used FJ's is crazy. I have seen some 2014 FJ's going for more than they were when on the showroom floor!! I also see 2wd models going for dumb prices too. Yikes. Some of these vehicles are Nevada too, which means a Ca DMV fee. Prices are good I suppose if you want to sell. I keep getting mailers from local Toyota dealers wanting to give me 125% of KBB for mine. I suppose we can say not a bad investment really since I am not willing to sell anytime soon.
Firemedic831, my son loves your new FJ, so do I.

Thank you . i have a tacoma also . best of both worlds . I am really enjoying the FJ though and look forward to building it

So I have been real busy with work so the fj has been on hold . I did get a few things though . I purchased a set of the body mount chop plates from metal tech I have orderd a Springtail rear door rack . And I picked up some basic recovery gear from Wheelers off-road . (Recovery strap / a few d-rings and a warn receiver d-ring . Stopped by the army /navy store and picked up a bag to keep it all in . Added a gerber folding shovel and gerber hatchet . Booked my room for the FJ summit this year . Still on the fence on what wheels to run . Looking at fuel Anza. Or ICON but having a black fj I think black wheels mite be to much ? I am really really considering having the fj painted or maybe a wrap . My headlights were a little fogged so I picked up a maguriers headlight restoration kit . Super easy to do . I popped my grill off to make it easier . They look like new again I have also decided on running Demello bumpers . Took her out yesterday to play in the snow a little .

IMG_4940.JPG

The plan rt now is stage 3 icon lift. 285s. Stt pro tires not sure on wheels yet . All pro sliders . Either Demello or Expadition one front and rear bumpers . Bud built skids Inchworm lefty t-case warn winch still not sure what one . On board air . And whatever else I can think of along the way . Open to input .

Mine is a lot like that now. I have Demello bumpers front and back, and they have served me well - but I installed an Expedition One front bumper on a friend's FJC and I was super impressed with their design and strength. If I was doing mine over again now, I would use the E1.

The Warn M8000 fits easily in both the Demello plate bumper and the Expedition One plate bumper, and has worked well for me these last 10 years +.

Once you put in the Lefty, you can do a "tummy tuck" and get another 2-3" of clearance under the truck by replacing the factory cross member with a custom one.

Have fun with your build.

Nice, I will say that when I did my bmc I did not weld end cap plates on the frame. Does not need it , the strength is still in the channel section steel. I am a certified welder and would have no problem welding the end caps on but it is just not necessary, just primer it and paint it black and leave it. I put the rubber cover back on to keep street crap off it but thats all. Heres a pic of mine. BTW, do take a piece of low-tack tape (painters blue masking tape) and form your cut line then use a silver pencil to mark it and remove the tape ( so you dont burn it) Remove the rubber bushings and wear welding gloves and a full face shield and ear plugs and use a cut-off wheel in a 41/2 inch grinder and cut in a direction away from you and you can have those chops done in 5 minutes each.

IMG_0488.JPG

So i have decided on my Bumpers and sliders . .. I am going to run all Pelfreybuilt . Now my question what do you guys think about having the Bumpers painted silver ? or just do the standard black . sliders will be black for sure .

Now my question what do you guys think about having the Bumpers painted silver ? or just do the standard black .

Personally, I wouldn't ever paint a bumper silver, but that's because I have an old prejudice against it - back in my old motorcycle days in the 70's, we called silver paint "n****r chrome", i.e., only the very cheap and classless would use it for anything. But in this modern PC world, you can paint it any color you want without repercussion.

Only reason i was thinking of painting is i do not want a all blacked out FJ but i understand what you are saying . What sucks is almost all the Wheels now are black also . i need to really look into getting the FJ painted .

IMG_2635.PNG
So i think I am going to try and build this FJ kinda based off of this theme

So after many years with every year of Toyota trucks and 4 runners . And always wanting a FJ40 . (Someday I will find the right one ) I decided to get the next best thing . A 2009 FJC. This will be mainly used for off-road trips . First big trip the FJ summit. Then Moab next sept . My dream trip is to do the drive to Alaska and I am
Going to do that now . This is going to be a fun build . The pics are of day 1 with the FJ .

View attachment 1584638

View attachment 1584639

View attachment 1584640
My brother lives in Talkeetna so I'll be making that journey one day soon also!

Only reason i was thinking of painting is i do not want a all blacked out FJ but i understand what you are saying . What sucks is almost all the Wheels now are black also . i need to really look into getting the FJ painted .
I initially wrapped mine back in '08 because it was less expensive but it turned into a nightmare that needed to be redone (the horizontal aspects) every couple years so the price added up. Finally got it peeled and went to Maaco and got a great paint job for less than the cost of the initial wrap with a five year warranty.

So I have been doing a few little things while I wait for part to come. But figured I would update .

IMG_4976.JPG

IMG_4977.JPG

IMG_4978.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom