Estimated Cost of Front Bearing Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a 1991 FJ80. It did not pass inspection because front bearings have some play in them. What would be a reasonable cost if done at a shop? How difficult is of a DIY?

Thanks for the input!!!

PFM

Wheel bearings? 50 bucks a side for koyo bearings 2 hrs of your time, bearings might be fine and just need tightening.
More then likely you'll need a two seals and two new 54 mm nuts thrust washer and star lock washer

Nice! Never done bearings, but looks pretty straightforward from youtube. The other two things on the inspection report are bulbs and a torn seat belt. Any ideas on the seat belt replacement?

It may only need the preload adjusted. Possibly new hub nut and lock ring kit.

Koyo and Timkin bearings are both OE for this truck. Indeed, Koyo and Timkin consider each-other's bearings to be equivalent for this application, and you may open a Timkin box to find Koyo bearings or the other way around.

Some "mechanics" like to use a cold chisel and hammer instead of the correct hub nut socket. Which is why you might need to replace them.

The bearings are cheap (more like $20 than $50). the nuts and lock ring aren't expensive. The cone washers holding the hub together might be a bear to remove if they have been set for a long time so i dunno what to tell you the labor will be.

But the preload procedure isn't as simple and straightforward as the manual makes it out to be, and it's not uncommon for someone to follow the instructions to the letter and then have a little play a few months later.

This may be a situation where it could be advantageous to take it to someone who is known to be familiar with 80 series cruisers. Which is NOT the dealership in most cases, since these days they have techs working there who aren't as old as the truck and may never have seen one before.

It may only need the preload adjusted. Possibly new hub nut and lock ring kit.

This may be a situation where it could be advantageous to take it to someone who is known to be familiar with 80 series cruisers. Which is NOT the dealership in most cases, since these days they have techs working there who aren't as old as the truck and may never have seen one before.

Call OTRAMM in Bealton, VA

Nice! Never done bearings, but looks pretty straightforward from youtube. The other two things on the inspection report are bulbs and a torn seat belt. Any ideas on the seat belt replacement?

Original I am sure are pricey, however you can rewind one with the substitute. I think it was from cellica or corolla ( find the tread )the buckle was the same design, pick and pull has tons of them. Unwind from the donor and windup on LC, takes a little time and tons of patience, but it will save some coin $$$.

Timken Bearings

Check out the prices at rockauto if doing this yourself. I think $50 should get outer and inner for the whole front axle, as i have a set on a shelf, since it turned out my bearings and races are fine and i just needed to tweak the preload.

You might spend more on the "drift" called for in the FSM. That being, a brass or aluminum rod that you hold against the hub stud with one hand while you wail on it with a 2-3lb sledge held in the other hand, to pop the cone washers out. This took me literally hours the first time. Heating them up with a torch helps. I got lucky and found a 10" length of 1" brass milling stock at an industrial surplus vendor and paid by the pound. I have mushroomed it pretty good.

Looking at a 1991 FJ80. It did not pass inspection because front bearings have some play in them. What would be a reasonable cost if done at a shop? How difficult is of a DIY?

Thanks for the input!!!

PFM
I did my bearings and birfs first time no prob never did em before if you own an 80 do your bearings learn and save some dough and watch this

50 bucks will get you both wheel bearings the inner and outer and races, that's one side, so 100 for both sides. That's 4 wheel bearings koyos, timkens might be couple bucks cheaper. Koyo is Japan timken is USA. Call @cruiseroutfit or go to website

Parts + 12 pack

50 bucks will get you both wheel bearings the inner and outer and races, that's one side, so 100 for both sides. That's 4 wheel bearings koyos, timkens might be couple bucks cheaper. Koyo is Japan timken is USA. Call @cruiseroutfit or go to website

Front inner bearing $11.59 https://www.amazon.com/Timken-LM104949-Bearing/dp/B000BZACMU
Front inner race $8.91 https://www.amazon.com/Timken-JLM104910-Wheel-Bearing/dp/B000RDEEUW
Front outer race and bearing $13.40 https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET47-Bearing-Set/dp/B000BZAAWM/

$33.90 from amazon per side. RockAuto prices are better but don't include shipping, and they don't seem to have the inner bearing anymore. Time was you could get all of them from autozone. And again, Timkin and Koyo have a parts sharing agreement, and both suppliers were used in the factory.

I'd rather support cruiser companies then amazon, yes both were factory, getting something 10 bucks cheaper doesn't matter to me

Agreed! FAWK Amazon. They don’t give two sh!ts about us. I too would and have gladly paid a few bucks more to buy from vendors that are active and support us.

I’m all about supporting our community, but some folks are just getting by. $20 could mean the difference between being able to drive to work or buying diapers for the week.

Get your parts for where works for you, OEM will last longer. But sometimes we just have to get through tomorrow.

I replaced my seat belt (1994 gray interior) with Toyota part 73220-60062-B0. It's listed for '91 - '94. It was $149.05 from Conicelli Toyota.

People swap the 3rd row belt for the front belt, but it won't extend as far, and I'm not 100% confident in my ability to attach it correctly. Since a seat belt is probably second only to brakes in terms of safety, I went ahead and splurged. To protect the new belt, I used strips of Teflon tape (Amazon, ~$20 for a roll) on all the contact points, including the buckle where the belt slides through.

Front inner bearing $11.59 https://www.amazon.com/Timken-LM104949-Bearing/dp/B000BZACMU
Front inner race $8.91 https://www.amazon.com/Timken-JLM104910-Wheel-Bearing/dp/B000RDEEUW
Front outer race and bearing $13.40 https://www.amazon.com/Timken-SET47-Bearing-Set/dp/B000BZAAWM/

$33.90 from amazon per side. RockAuto prices are better but don't include shipping, and they don't seem to have the inner bearing anymore. Time was you could get all of them from autozone. And again, Timkin and Koyo have a parts sharing agreement, and both suppliers were used in the factory.

Man, no local love.

So $34 and you still don't have the rest of the parts you need to finish the job i.e. gaskets, star washer or the wheel seal. That actually makes our $40 Timken kit a bargain as it has your $34 bearing and the gaskets, star washer, NOK Japanese wheel seal and full step by step instructions. Two kits will ship in a $8 Priority Box, $88 retail and we have you covered with everything needed.

These are the parts you should have on hand for a bearing job, particularly if you haven't been into it recently:

IMG_3174.JPG

Koyo bearings shown, we stock the Timkens in bulk too.

Amazon does have the wheel seal starting at $9.95 :D

Need just bearings/races? We can beat Amazons price to your door by a few bucks. Why don't we sell them loose except by special inquiry? Because the star washer is a MUST, the seal is great ideal and the gaskets are a good idea.

I’m all about supporting our community, but some folks are just getting by. $20 could mean the difference between being able to drive to work or buying diapers for the week.

Get your parts for where works for you, OEM will last longer. But sometimes we just have to get through tomorrow.

The difference isn't $20, it costs more to piece it together with Amazon. Support the community and save... win win. I get my diapers, you get your diapers :D

It's a "Right of Passage" kinda thing to do to your truck for your self> I mean if you own one of these trucks your gonna get greasy at some point. Why not dive in and diy and learn wonderful Japanese engineering lol

Man, no local love.

So $34 and you still don't have the rest of the parts you need to finish the job i.e. gaskets, star washer or the wheel seal. That actually makes our $40 Timken kit a bargain as it has your $34 bearing and the gaskets, star washer, NOK Japanese wheel seal and full step by step instructions. Two kits will ship in a $8 Priority Box, $88 retail and we have you covered with everything needed.

These are the parts you should have on hand for a bearing job, particularly if you haven't been into it recently:

View attachment 1584516
Koyo bearings shown, we stock the Timkens in bulk too.

Amazon does have the wheel seal starting at $9.95 :D

Need just bearings/races? We can beat Amazons price to your door by a few bucks. Why don't we sell them loose except by special inquiry? Because the star washer is a MUST, the seal is great ideal and the gaskets are a good idea.

And you get Kurt's expertise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom