XMAS Tree and/or Snow Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Perhaps there's a idea to have a run on both days
Good idea. I can organize the one this Sunday for those who can make it. Then Steve can coordinate the run next weekend for those that were planning on that one.

Welcome Cheryl. Glad you said hi over here. Since most of us come up from ABQ, we usually stop at the Walatowa visitor center to regroup, use the bathroom and buy permits. Your offer to buy them ahead of time is very kind of you though. Have you lived in Jemez Springs a while and do you know the area well enough? Any suggestions on where to go for trees? I have a few ideas based on many past runs but I'm open to new suggestions.

Hey! Sorry, my laptop crashed and my thumbs are too clumsy to type much on my phone. I've been up here almost fifteen years; in the village near Los Ojos. :) I usually go up from the La Cueva side and hunt a tree around 144 or 314 and have had good luck. I won't be able to make it Sunday unfortunately. If anyone is still looking to come up the 9th or another time for a ride, let me know! I have a VFD Christmas party, but not until late afternoon. For everyone coming up on the 3rd, have a blast! Looks like the weather will still be good!

Meeting Location and time:
Bad Ass Coffee/Big O Tire - 965 W Highway 550, Bernalillo, NM 87004
8:30

If you miss that time, we will stop again at the Walatowa Visitor Center on Hwy 4, just north of the Jemez Pueblo. For anyone getting a tree you can get a permit here. We then can make final decisions on our route for the day if we learn of any restrictions while getting permits . Let's shoot for being at Walatowa by 9:30

FYI, the group TTE NM (Toyota Truck Enthusiast New Mexico) group here is also doing a Tree run on the 9th.
Who the hell are these folks?

Last edited:
Meeting Location and time:
Bad Ass Coffee/Big O Tire - 965 W Highway 550, Bernalillo, NM 87004
8:30

If you miss that time, we will stop again at the Walatowa Visitor Center on Hwy 4, just north of the Jemez Pueblo. For anyone getting a tree you can get a permit here. We then can make final decisions on our route for the day if we learn of any restrictions while getting permits . Let's shoot for being at Walatowa by 9:30

OK, I am planning on the Bernalillo meeting spot by 8:30 - see everyone there!

Turned out it was just Evan and me. Jon didn't get the part he needed to make it. The Walatowa visitor center was very busy. We got a map of recommended cutting areas and then we went somewhere else to avoid the crowds. We drove up past Ponderosa on 266 and to the same location of our picnic last month. Then we backtracked a little and made a loop, continuing north and west on 271 and 270 until it came back around and met up with 10. Then we headed south on 10, past Paliza CG and back to hwy 4. There was a lot of tree and wood cutting traffic on the more well traveled roads.

I would suggest the contingent that couldn't go this weekend to still plan for doing your run on the 9th. Somebody will need to take the lead on it and coordinate it.

Another Toyota 4x4 group:
"acoma, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Tundra, Land Cruiser, Pickup. All Toyota Trucks welcome. Let's make this group and all our meets awesome."

Think I ran into one of the main guys a few years in Bernalillo when they were first starting the FB group.

Was there any snow? guessing not...

I'd be up for another attempt on the 9th if anyone else is interested. Possible even checkout the other group.

Marc, thank you for putting this together. I am very sorry I was not able to make it- much working against me. I seem to have irritated both the Dodge gods and Mr. Toyota. Woe is me
I'm tentative again for the 9th

Marc, thank you for putting this together. I am very sorry I was not able to make it- much working against me. I seem to have irritated both the Dodge gods and Mr. Toyota. Woe is me
I'm tentative again for the 9th

Sorry we missed you on Sunday! We had a nice day and did some good exploring. Next time...

Good luck getting your trucks in order!

Hi Everyone, Is anyone still interested in the 9th? We got snow up on the mountain last night, a few inches anyway. If it stays as cold as it was today it may stick around, otherwise just a little muddy. Like Marc said, I'm sure it will be busy again, especially since the festivities are going on in the village... so bring tow straps, certainly some poor folk will get their subaru stuck. I got my permit and will likely be going regardless. Not sure if I'll take the 40 or the grocery getter, though...

Hi Everyone, Is anyone still interested in the 9th? We got snow up on the mountain last night, a few inches anyway. If it stays as cold as it was today it may stick around, otherwise just a little muddy. Like Marc said, I'm sure it will be busy again, especially since the festivities are going on in the village... so bring tow straps, certainly some poor folk will get their subaru stuck. I got my permit and will likely be going regardless. Not sure if I'll take the 40 or the grocery getter, though...

I should be operational so I'm game. I don't need a tree just like to get out in the hills. Steve?

just got home, trucks not loaded and I'm beat. I gotta bail on Saturday. Sorry folks, @Manona you especially... I'll get up there sooner or later

Was there any snow? guessing not...

I'd be up for another attempt on the 9th if anyone else is interested. Possible even checkout the other group.
@lurch You still up for this?

just got home, trucks not loaded and I'm beat. I gotta bail on Saturday. Sorry folks, @Manona you especially... I'll get up there sooner or later[/QUOT

No worries; I just got home too... Also, a forest fire started just off of 376 today, 40% contained as of now, but there will be fire traffic on the road tomorrow so I'm kind of hesitant now, as I want to steer clear and FR10 will probably be getting extra traffic as a result.

Maybe we should plan a New Years run, instead? Any takers on that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom