Frustrated looking for a GX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry just a newb venting and looking for a little conversation. So I have looked at just about every GX470 within 50 miles of me and I'm convinced I'm going to have to take a chance buying one from the south and trust a PPI. Everything around Cincinnati is rusted to hell underneath or a POS.

Today I went to look at this 2005 with 147k.

Used 2005 Lexus GX 470 Sport Utility for Sale in Mason OH 45040 Becks Auto Group

It sounded promising, super clean California car, clean carfax with service history. Well based on the pictures I thought this might be the one......

I get there and the first thing I notice is the rear suspension is stuck in the hi position, strike one.

No rust to worry about underneath, sweet.

Walk to the front and it has been painted very obviously, and not the best job at that. Strike two. Also all 4 wheels had been spray painted very poorly over the bubbling of the oem finish.

Start it up and it sounds great. TB done at 108k tagged under the hood, sweet.

Let it idle and start checking out the extremely clean interior. Dash is cracked badly but when I pointed it out they said they could get it fixed under recall by Lexus. Turned the a/c on and even after an extended period no cold air and a weird tick from the blower motor. Strike three.

I decide to drive it anyhow. Drives pretty darn well other than riding tall and super stiff in the rear. First stop light I get the clunk from the driveshaft, damn. Strike four.

Maybe I have two high of standards to even be looking at 10-12 year old $10,000 vehicles. Am I over-reacting? The dealer wasn't interested in dealing at all, but the said they would consider fixing what I pointed out mechanically. This kinda scares me that they will pull some voodoo s*** to cover stuff up or do subpar repairs.

Just kinda frustrated in my search, I really want a fun camping rig for my family of 5, but I don't want to buy something that is going to be a bucket of problems. Am i asking too much?

20171128_124824.jpg
20171128_124837.jpg

In Cincy also but I am looking for sub80k miles. I'm considering flying and driving. We live in OH so I expect some chassis rust. It seams like they like to bring ones from the NE here to sell. KY and TN trucks should be a bit nicer. You will have to look a bit farther than 50 miles.

I just bought one with 218000 miles already needs brakes ,rad, shocks , and who knows what else the only thing it has going for it it was one owner car and no accident and no leak and I am very happy with it . In AZ price of these GX's are between $8500 and $17000 with most of them over 120k with 3 to 5 owners and most of them been is some kind of accident .so what I am trying to say is how bad do you want one .

In Cincy also but I am looking for sub80k miles. I'm considering flying and driving. We live in OH so I expect some chassis rust. It seams like they like to bring ones from the NE here to sell. KY and TN trucks should be a bit nicer. You will have to look a bit farther than 50 miles.
Yeah, I have been looking a little further, just easier to out my hands on the close ones. I definitely don't want one any North of here. I'm just telling myself to be patient.

I went through the same thing youre going through. I went as far as So Cali to vegas. Took me over 2 months to find the one....and it wasn't even the one of my original choice lol (different color).

I'm in the same boat. Been looking for awhile and will continue to look. Went to carmax in greenville SC and checked out a 08 with 70k-non nav. Would of been a no brainer but the wife wants a darker interior. Do'h!

I looked for 6 months and ended up driving to Tulsa, OK from Iowa during a snow storm. Worth it.

Or do what I did. I’m in So Cal and couldnt find anything so went to the Internet. Seen some pics of one in Brooklyn New York!! Said F it bought it and it’s on a truck headed this way as we speak. Wife doesn’t have a clue i bought it. So yeah have patience. This is probably one of the more dumb things I’ve done. Oh well is what it is. See what happens when it gets here. Hope it’s remotely decent. I have a pile of parts here to be put on. Learn from others stupid mistakes. Lol

Lift it with a rear coil conversion kit, new wheels/tires, new blower motor, get the dash replaced under the recall, repaint the front end or get a plate bumper, call it a day.

Patience, it took me 4 1/2 months to find mine. Looked at i don't know how many till i found '09 with 104k miles.

Strike four.
Eh... What sort of baseball are you playing????

Take a walk (which, by the way IS four balls...). These are expensive vehicles, that will need expensive repairs. Even if you can do the work yourself, the parts will make you double over...

Keep searching (as posted), your vehicle is only a few days from being listed.

The dash warranty enhancement has expired unless the vehicle is under 10 years old.

FWIW I bought my 2005 non-Sport with nav and KDSS at 179k miles for $8,150 in Phoenix in October 2016. It has a decent sized dent on the driver's door, a small dent on the driver's door, chipped/dented/etc front bumper cover, and needed steering rack boots and upper ball joints. It needed a CV boot and HVAC blower motor as well but the seller had that done before I bought it. The dash was cracked and I had it replaced by Lexus prior to the warranty enhancement expiring. I had to replace a couple of interior trim pieces, the tweeters in the front doors were blown, the CD changer didn't work (gone now, Grom bluetooth unit in its place), the DVD player doesn't eject (I don't care), the driver's heated seat doesn't work (I do want to fix that), and the plastics on the 3rd row seats are broken (again, don't care).

I love the damn thing.

Dirtybird you said your better half do not know you bought a vehicle ? well my friend it was good knowing you .
Yes sir. I asked if she loved me so she knows somethings up just not sure what lol. If it doesn’t work out i will have a pile of new parts for sale!!!

Probably stating the obvious, but: you can check service history on the Lexus site if you get the VIN. This won't tell you everything, but if there's no service history there it may be one to stay away from. Coupled w/ Carfax, this should allay some concerns.

Do you have friends/family in other cities that can check them out for you?

As stated, patience is a virtue. Some pop up here and on other sites in the Classifieds. Patience and a thorough check will ultimately result in you finding The One.

FWIW, I looked at exactly 1 GX. One-owner local, all service done at local dealer on time, no accidents, had a cracked windshield which selling dealer replaced; it was the exterior and interior colors I wanted. Went to the dealership, they put it up on a lift so I could check the underside (clean as a whistle), 2 hours later I drove it home. :)

Hell I'd be happy to look for you in Raleigh, NC area - my sister lives in Cinci so driving one from here to there would make for a nice visit, as long as you cover gas + buy me a plane ticket home.

Probably stating the obvious, but: you can check service history on the Lexus site if you get the VIN. This won't tell you everything, but if there's no service history there it may be one to stay away from. Coupled w/ Carfax, this should allay some concerns.

Do you have friends/family in other cities that can check them out for you?

As stated, patience is a virtue. Some pop up here and on other sites in the Classifieds. Patience and a thorough check will ultimately result in you finding The One.

FWIW, I looked at exactly 1 GX. One-owner local, all service done at local dealer on time, no accidents, had a cracked windshield which selling dealer replaced; it was the exterior and interior colors I wanted. Went to the dealership, they put it up on a lift so I could check the underside (clean as a whistle), 2 hours later I drove it home. :)

Hell I'd be happy to look for you in Raleigh, NC area - my sister lives in Cinci so driving one from here to there would make for a nice visit, as long as you cover gas + buy me a plane ticket home.
I have heard that service history can be checked but haven't figured out how, I am assuming I need to register.

I will keep that in mind and will not ignore cars down that way. In the meantime if you happen across one feel free to shoot me a link. I greatly appreciate it. I did the same exact thing with a motorcycle about ten years ago, bought in NC and had an old buddy ride it to Cincy to see his family. Thank you for the offer.

I've had no problems logging in and checking out potential GX470s. The website was recently updated.

So looking at this one this evening. Any real concern with a 2003 with just over 100k. I was able to pull the service history. It was sold new right by my house and has been maintained and repaired completely at same dealer it appears. I will try to attach pdf if possible.

Screenshot_20171129-104748.png
Screenshot_20171129-104825.png
Screenshot_20171129-104800.png
Screenshot_20171129-104816.png

I can't figure out how to attach pdf I printed of service history, but suffice it to say it looks pretty comprehensive. With VIN posted above feel free to check it if you are bored. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom