SEARS Biting The Dust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lowe's has a no questions asked return policy on Kobalt so I will assume we carry it on with Craftsman hand tools.

I really like my Kobalt band tools and have had good experiences with them. I keep them in each of my 80s.

I still have my Craftsman stuff I bought when I was 17. I've broken a couple of ratchets over the years. And snapped a screwdriver. All were abuse.

it does seem unlikely that a new company/store selling the brand would honor the old Sears unlimited warranty from way back when, unfortunately. If they do, I'll be pleasantly surprised. But let's hope. Although, of course, the question has always been that if you do indeed get a new tool, is it going to be as good as the old one?

I did some calling around today starting with Sears, was told they are no longer replying to emails concerning Craftsman tool returns, so I tried some of the other possibilities like Home Depot and Ace Hardware, hardly worth my time though since the cost for gas to get there is worth more than the tool, Home Depot in Westbank near Kelowna, B.C say they carry very few if any Black and Decker tools so wouldn't be of much help regarding warranty. the manger at Ace Hardware said the owner has been in talks with B&D about carrying the Craftsman brand, but nothing would happen for months after Sears is closed up, so I guess it's hurry up and wait.

Linked from the Stanley Black & Decker website: Warranty Information | Craftsman

Of concern is the the statement: "To obtain the warranty coverage stated below, return the product with proof of sale to the retailer from which it was purchased."

In the past, when dealing with Sears stores, 'proof of sale' was never a consideration (at least for me). Take the broken one in, get a replacement. If Sears does finally go bankrupt, then that would end returns/exchanges for tools purchased at Sears stores. And quite likely negate the possibility of returning the tool to ACE, Lowes, or any other retailer selling the Craftsman brand. Especially if they hold firm to 'proof of sale' (receipts).

I purchased a lot of Craftsman tools over the years (dating back to the late 1960's). I certainly don't have receipts for any of them. But luckily, I can count on one hand the number of tools I've exchanged over those years.

Sounds like "lifetime warranty" is dependent on the lifetime of the retailer/vendor, not the purchaser. :(

Sounds like "lifetime warranty" is dependent on the lifetime of the retailer/vendor, not the purchaser. :(

LOL, always makes me wonder when I hear people extolling such and such lifetime warranty and forgetting that the warranty is only as good as the company offering it. Who thinks most of the electronics companies out there today will still be around in 20 years...?

The scuttlebutt I am hearing is that Lowe's will be honoring the Craftsman lifetime warranty on hand tools. And frankly, it makes sense to. Give away a few bucks to keep customers coming back to the pipe for another hit.

As for the company, Lowe's is the Fortune 40 company. I don't see us going away anytime soon. And certainly not before most of you old bastages! :rofl:

The scuttlebutt I am hearing is that Lowe's will be honoring the Craftsman lifetime warranty on hand tools. And frankly, it makes sense to. Give away a few bucks to keep customers coming back to the pipe for another hit.
Very true. It's really the norm when it comes to modern day retailers to have a no questions asked return policy. The brick and mortar places have to compete with Amazon, which has a very good return policy.

FWIW, I like my Craftsman stuff. And the Kobalt stuff is really good too.

Other than screwdriver handles and ratchets, what craftsman tools are you guys breaking ? Anything electric that plugs in doesn't count !

The plastic bits on their torque wrenches (which are not covered by the warranty anyway) break and fall off. Primarily the locking ring.

I gave up on these years ago, and bought all-metal Snap-on torque wrenches; YMMV.

I did manage to break a 3/8" ratchet, like 40 years ago. At that time, they replaced it, no questions asked, with no receipt.

I have already taken a couple of combo wrenches to ACE Hardware and they exchanged them with no issues at all.

I was just looking at my Craftsman 1/2" break-over bar that I had Craftsman replace in 2014 because I sheared off the end trying to loosen my crank bolt......... The new one doesn't have the ball and spring on the inside of the knuckle to keep the head at a given angle. I was wondering the other day why I was having such a hard time getting it to stay at a certain location when I was trying to place it on a bolt.

Craftsman has really lowered their quality over the years. The ratchets are cheap and flimsy anymore.

I buy used Snap-On torque wrenches on eBay.

I have told my wife that if she is out shopping at garage sales to buy any and all Craftsman hand tools she sees. The people in this area have no idea how much to sell them for and I can get them very reasonable so I can have a set in each vehicle.

I once bought a box of crap on an estate auction. (Well more than once I've done THAT!) But in THIS particular box, there was the head of a hammer that had "CRAFTSMAN" stamped into it. It was a 16 oz soft-faced hammer head, but there was no handle and both soft ends were gone. I took the head to the Sears store, and they exchanged it for a brand new one! That was the best $0.50 I ever spent for a $20 hammer!

Now, Sears has left my area (The closest one is now 35 miles away) but I keep getting coupons for stuff. I won't / can't shop there because I'm not driving an hour minimum to buy or exchange a $5.00 wrench.

I'm sad that Sears is shutting down. My Grandfather bought a home from Sears and Roebuck in the 1940's that became my Mother's home. It was tiny, but he added onto it, and it is now a nice lake cabin that my brother owns and enjoys.

I just heard some updates news about Craftsman coming to Lowe’s and why it isn’t happening until mid 2018. Apparently one of the stipulations or conditions of them coming to Lowe’s is that they will be manufacturing their tools in the US now.

It seems to me that they are trying to restore the brand. Makes sense since B&D already has the Stanley brand in the China line up.

I’ll update as I find out more on this. There is scuttlebutt that B&D is selling off the Craftsman brand to Lowe’s. Or a portion of it or something. Would make even more sense then to have them go back to being American Made.

B&D has been talking about a new plant since buying Craftsman - long before the Lowes connection: Here's Why Stanley Black & Decker Is Building a New U.S. Plant.

I doubt they’re selling off the brand to Lowes if only because the agreement with Sears has Sears getting a cut of sales for the next 15 years - plus all the other places Craftsman is being sold such as Ace Hardware, Summit Racing, KMart, Orchard Hardware, etc...

IDK how long Apex will still be involved w/ Craftsman (@LS1FJ40 ?)

But here's a # I use(d) plenty - I just call & offer to send my broken socket & rattle off the part# of it, they have a new one on my porch within a week:

Craftsman: # for Apex - hotline for missing items in sets you buy

I have old Craftman rachets & used Snap-On, extensions too - they just work better.

I bought the newer '1 of every socket we make in 1/4",3/8",1/2" drive' -sets & they are really poor castings, some even have slag in them.

Craftsman Industrial line is still made in the US. But it's really hard to find. I've started to search of NOS (new old stock) sales on Ebay to replace stuff / complete tool sets. Menard's Masterforce hand tool line has a lot of made in the US stuff (screwdrivers, nut drivers, socket, wrenches) and a lifetime warranty. https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...wdrivers-nut-drivers-hex-keys-sets/c-9158.htm
Whenever I go home to visit my folks back in Ohio, I pick up a few tools.

My local Ace Hardware carries Craftsman stuff and it's a mix of made in the US (NOS?) and China. They will warranty it if they have the same exact model in their computer system (per my local manager) If it's a 1/2" 6 pt combination wrench and the p/n is an old one, they won't. They won't allow you to substitute unless you have proof of purchase from ACE.

ToolGuyd has a nice listing of still made in the US stuff and a lot of power tool reviews.

In my youth (30 + years ago), I purchased a Crapsman torque wrench and used it extensively (knuckles, wheel bearings, u-bolts, 80-90 ft. lbs. tops, only CW usage, only for torque work, always reduced to minimum torque value before storage in it's dedicated box). But after a while, it seemed like it required more and more torque to click, and then it stripped a knuckle stud. Took it back to Sears where I bought it, wouldn't replace it because it's a specialty tool. So much for the famed Crapsman warranty. I bought a Snap-Off to replace the Crapsman.

A couple years ago, I had to replace the harmonic balancer in my 4R. My Snap-Off torque wrench is good for only 150 ft. lbs. and I needed to go to 218 (IIRC). I looked at Snap-Off, Hackco, all the pro brands I could think of, even looked at a Hot Rod Magazine article testing digital torque meters including Horrid Fright's (quality is what matters, not where a tool is made). I eventually stumbled on CDI, which is owned by SO if memory serves. OK, CDI's warranty isn't as good as SO's and perhaps the others, but quality beats warranty IMO. I think my SO is a bit better than the CDI, but the CDI is really very good, good enough that at less than half the price of the others, it is a go in the cost/benefit analysis. It performed flawlessly and I have experienced no further problems with the 4R. Yes, a new OEM Toy balancer and new bolt, torqued per FSM.

No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. YMMV.

1/2" Dr 30-250 Ft Lbs / 47-332 Nm CDI Adjustable Torque Wrench - 2503MFRMH

So, officially, all Craftsman tools sold st Lowe’s will be made in the US. They will be available at all Lowe’s stores in third quarter 2018. (Our fiscal year starts Feb so I’d except August/September roll out).

Lowe’s will honor the lifetime warranty.

FYI, Craftsman tools are available at Lowe’s as of 5/14/18. Somewhat of a “soft” rollout. Don’t have everything as of yet.

All hand tools Lifetime Warranty will be honored by Lowe’s. There are some stipulations in power tools. I didn’t look at it because I don’t own any but can look and update.

The Craftsman metal tool chests at Lowe's are made in the USA. However, the tool sets and hand tools that I have seen are made in Taiwan or China. I haven't seen any made in USA stuff yet. https://www.lowes.com/search?search...d=sortBy_priceHighToLow&refinement=3252463372

The Ace's around me still have NOS made in USA screwdriver sets and one even had made in USA impact socket set.

Looks like Sears will be filing for bankruptcy this week. Bankruptcy Imminent? Sears Is On Life Support

Sears has been trying to run buy 75 or 100 and get 75 or 100 back in points but dispersed monthly for 12 months, but one won't get to use it if they go belly up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom