Builds New LX450(s) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all. Wanted to post up some ongoing work I will be doing on our new LX. I am actually hoping to buy a second one VERY soon (see '96 LX450 post).

The first one is a 1997 with just over 130K with a Slee 4" lift. Stock everywhere else. Pretty nice shape. No lockers.

Original info on trip and purchase here:

LX 450 and Other New Things

Short version is Wife and I have wanted an 80 for a long while and have basically been buying other stuff to get by :) So when this came up for sale, we jumped on a Greyhound bus from Raleigh to Wilmington, bought from another club member, and drove it home :)

Last edited:
Current Pic (only new KO2's vs KM2's):

20171123_110650.jpg

As Purchased:

20171118_105505(0).jpg

To Do List for 1997 LX450:

• Dual Cup Holders
  • Swap to AT from MT Tires - Done
  • USB chargers in dash
  • Double DIN Head with Backup Camera
  • Dual Battery. Working on it.
  • Clean Re-grease Knuckles (with eLockers)
  • Front Brakes Check (with eLockers)
  • Baseline fluids/hoses - Fluids done - Charcoal Canister and Hoses done
  • In line fuel filter
  • Rear Bumper - Likely Slee
  • Front Bumper - ARB - needs install with winch
  • Right rear storage compartment outlets and electronics - awaiting delivery :)
  • Harrop eLockers and 4.88 or 4.56 gearing (outsourced to Hardline Fabrication Services | 864.590.0051 someday soon)
  • On-board Air VIAIR
  • Sleeping arrangements - possible sleeping deck - possible removal of 2nd row seats

Maintenance List:
  • 130K Miles: Rotella T6 5W40; Toyota Filter; Transfer Case Mobil 75W90; Differentials: Generic Synthetic 75W-90; Replaced hoses to include Air Intake; PCV ByPass Filter
  • 12/28/17 - New Rear Hatch Struts

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
WTF???? Your new Delta Tau Chi fraternity name is "squirrel." Find one nut, then you run off to get another one!!!

I assume you drove across america to get these?

Sweetness

WTF???? Your new Delta Tau Chi fraternity name is "squirrel." Find one nut, then you run off to get another one!!!

I assume you drove across america to get these?

Hey now - I know your past purchases . . . ;) , and . . yes you have been kinda good about it as of late, but . . .

You are probably THE REASON I bought this in all honesty - so I will accept Squirrel, but only if you are the King. :)

The great news is it was only 2.5 hours away :)

I beat that. My '94 came from Sioux Falls. That was a long day and a half back...

Which head unit are you looking at? I'm considering this for the '94:
Pioneer AVIC-5201NEX
My daughter seems to think she can't find her way home from Tuscaloosa without GPS nav...

Hey now - I know your past purchases . . . ;) , and . . yes you have been kinda good about it as of late, but . . .

You are probably THE REASON I bought this in all honesty - so I will accept Squirrel, but only if you are the King. :)

The great news is it was only 2.5 hours away :)

You are a wise squirrel, but I am the KING!

1331065026.jpeg

blog-squirrelking.gif

I beat that. My '94 came from Sioux Falls. That was a long day and a half back...

Which head unit are you looking at? I'm considering this for the '94:
Pioneer AVIC-5201NEX
My daughter seems to think she can't find her way home from Tuscaloosa without GPS nav...

after buying almost the most expensive Garmin Kenwood, you could buy several years ago . .and only "kinda" liking it, I am "resigned" to just use my $150 Garmin for basically doing coordinates when needed. With that, I will do another one of these most likely:

Pioneer AVH-X391BHS

It has back up camera and can play MP3s from a USB - calling features are good. blue tooth is really good. So far so good in the Tundra.

I beat that. My '94 came from Sioux Falls. That was a long day and a half back... ...

You might have me there - but I have done the following:
  • FJ62 from Hartford Connecticut to Kansas City (no cruise, sigh)
  • 2004 4Runner from Salt Lake City to Kansas City
  • 1985 4Runner from Denver to KC

. . My daughter seems to think she can't find her way home from Tuscaloosa without GPS nav...

Your posts are so great @Malleus, that I have to quote them three times! :)

My Son goes to NC State, so he has fewer excuses to get home :)

He is wanting a little extra $$ so we are in the process of working a deal where he sells us his 4Runner at wholesale, we sell it, and then we rent back to him the 2nd stock LX450 until we can pass it on to his sister.

I would love to be able to have basically the same rig to work on with him/her. Daughter loves the 4" lift, though . . .sigh . . she better get a job.

I took a look at your other thread. Beautiful rig. Thinking about wheeling in your backyard next summer, so we will be in touch.

Cheers,

after buying almost the most expensive Garmin Kenwood, you could buy several years ago . .and only "kinda" liking it, I am "resigned" to just use my $150 Garmin for basically doing coordinates when needed. With that, I will do another one of these most likely:

Pioneer AVH-X391BHS

It has back up camera and can play MP3s from a USB - calling features are good. blue tooth is really good. So far so good in the Tundra.
So am I right, that's the AVIC-5201 without the nav?

Oh, what are you planning to do for USB connections? I hate the thought of hiding the connectors under the console and pulling them out when they're needed. I am considering using something like the Blue Sea USB connectors in the coin slots. Somebody posted the setup a while ago, but I don't have the link handy. It looked like it belonged there, though.

I bought the first one and then in no time I bought another one because I thought I needed one for more play and my wife wanted the first one to stay just the way it was. I totally understand buying a second one...the rest of your family won't.

I bought the first one and then in no time I bought another one because I thought I needed one for more play and my wife wanted the first one to stay just the way it was. I totally understand buying a second one...the rest of your family won't.

Same basic situation here :)

Wife calls this one her 80 - - so she is on board. She just doesn't like all the crap I do to these things AFTER.

Oh, what are you planning to do for USB connections? I hate the thought of hiding the connectors under the console and pulling them out when they're needed. I am considering using something like the Blue Sea USB connectors in the coin slots. Somebody posted the setup a while ago, but I don't have the link handy. It looked like it belonged there, though.

I'm hoping one each of these fits in the blank spots on each side of the rear heater hi/low:

Blue Sea 1039 Fast Charge Dual USB Charger Contura Switch Mount | Powerwerx

I will put an on/off for the dash electric over on the left side where we have 3 blanks.

Contura II Switch SPST Black - OFF-ON - Blue Sea Systems

I was out messing with my switches template and realized the e-Series larger Blue Sea switches are too big to fit my space.

Going to have to squish m-Series switches in.

Here is the template:

Top with recessed switches flush mounted - winch on the left, 1/2/combine for the ACR on the right:

20171124_183215.jpg

Bottom with ACR mounted in the middle:

20171124_183228.jpg

Wife calls this one her 80 - - so she is on board. She just doesn't like all the crap I do to these things AFTER.
Clearly we have a his/hers. I tried to get her to lift hers to no avail. I saw that Jonathan Ward (TLC) had adapted a set of AMP power steps to a 60 series that he just finished and I got excited that the power step might be a way for her to get rid of those running boards. I contacted AMP and they said they don't have one that fits... If I get the hp situation solved on mine, I'll be happy. My DD is a supercharged Tacoma and that spoils a person. However, the 80 drives/rides so much better.

We'll have her talk with Heather :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom