Vietnam-The war that keeps on killing us (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Helipilot

SILVER Star
Threads
Cholangiocarcinoma, a tiny parasite that causes the aforementioned cancer in the bile duct years after eating the freshwater fish found in Vietnamese streams.

The Veterans Administration has been denying claims for it. Full story in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette, November 26, 2017, page 2.

This will most likely affect Army, Marines, and others who served in the jungle and ate the fish when their rations ran out. I was in the Ashau Valley and we washed up in the stream next to the fire base after we would throw a grenade in the water to stun the leaches. Didn't eat any of the fish though.

It is a real shame that the default VA response is always denial. I remember agent orange and the hell it took to finally get that through. I remember being in the Navy and hearing stories of all the agent orange issues. Also, Admiral Zumwalt actually ordered it to be sprayed in the Mekong Delta, ironically where is son was serving on a swiftboat. His son died at age 42 and it was difficult to watch.
It is my hearts belief that all veteran's should NEVER be denied any medical treatment because of the diversity in which they serve. I suppose I am saying I would put the proof on the VA. In other words, I expect the VA to prove that a condition was not caused by whatever they are disputing. As of now , they put the burden on the veteran to prove it was from a service issue.

Elmo R. Zumwalt 3d, 42, Is Dead; Father Ordered Agent Orange Use

A good friend of mine, Ned Packard, did several tours in Vietnam in the Marine Corps during his service between 1960 and 1972. He passed away at 54, as did his 13-year-old daughter, from a form of leukemia. I don't know if the cause was ever determined, but I have to believe it was from exposure to Agent Orange or other defoliants.

Last edited:
I know it was a war and so forth , but the civilians that were part of receiving that agent orange are still suffering. I suppose it being a war means we are not responsible but it sure was hell for a lot of people, and the effects are still coming.

Agent Orange. Seems like almost everybody (Monsanto) got rich off of the war as usual. The folks who actually fought the war got screwed as usual.

Case in point: My first son, conceived before I shipped over, has been spectacular with no problems; my second and third sons conceived after I got back and after being sprayed with Agent Orange both had learning problems which were greatly helped with special schooling and a lot of patience. My wife and I think the causal factors were exposure to Agent Orange. I developed Type II diabetes in my mid-sixties and the VA did recognize that as combat related. My VA file has a large orange sticker that says "Do Not Retire This File-Agent Orange Exposure". That, my friends, is interesting. What do they know that they are not telling us?

Agent Orange. Seems like almost everybody (Monsanto) got rich off of the war as usual. The folks who actually fought the war got screwed as usual.

Case in point: My first son, conceived before I shipped over, has been spectacular with no problems; my second and third sons conceived after I got back and after being sprayed with Agent Orange both had learning problems which were greatly helped with special schooling and a lot of patience. My wife and I think the causal factors were exposure to Agent Orange. I developed Type II diabetes in my mid-sixties and the VA did recognize that as combat related. My VA file has a large orange sticker that says "Do Not Retire This File-Agent Orange Exposure". That, my friends, is interesting. What do they know that they are not telling us?

You are probably still a test subject on the matter. Similar to thalidomide babies born in the 1960s whose mom took that came out pretty messed up. I had a friend who was one. He tried his best but he was tiny and shaped like a football.
They will never retire your file- you are to valuable for that. Now, they should pay you for your value as well , a big number.

I was in Vietnam last year and walked through their "American War" museum. The propaganda was stunning though it got me reading about the chemical agents. I lost my dad a few years ago and the VA eventually acquiesced that his cancer was related to defoliants. I fear the VA is just happier as their potential customers submit to their illnesses.

I agree. The VA was "too busy" with the WW2 and Korea guys to pay a lot of attention to the Vietnam guys and they swept the Agent Orange, the shots in basic and the daily mosquito pills we were required to take under the rug. Our era of troops were "Inconvenient" for them. Hell, we were all Inconvenient to the American press, the 1960's hippie revolution and by and large the American people. Most of us were treated like a pile of crap. We were unable to get jobs in the government sector because all the jobs were held by WW2 and Korea guys and the economy wasn't really progressing enough to provide jobs as we were mostly Baby Boomers back from a war nobody wanted or understood.

Due to my combat injuries I couldn't do my job I had before I went over. It was a hell of a mess and it contrasts with the way the current group of guys from Iraq and Afghanistan are being treated. And I think it is great the way the American people have rallied around those guys and gals who served in the sandbox, my three sons being some of them. I had to start my own company to earn a living and it has been good to me and I hired mostly VN vets for all my employees but, I was only one small company and couldn't help that many guys or gals.

The VA should be shut down and each veteran given a special credit card for his or her health care. The VA has become another government boondoggle filled with people who are there for quitting time and a paycheck. Sorry if I sound bitter but that is the way I feel.

Edit to add: I don't go to the VA for medical treatment as I really think they are trying to kill off the VN people. Most of my friends I served with are now dead from their service connected issues. I don't smoke or drink and eat a healthy diet but still came down with the Type 2 diabetes directly related to Agent Orange exposure. I keep it under control with diet and exercise but it still is a pain in the butt to deal with.

Last edited:
I agree. The VA was "too busy" with the WW2 and Korea guys to pay a lot of attention to the Vietnam guys and they swept the Agent Orange, the shots in basic and the daily mosquito pills we were required to take under the rug. Our era of troops were "Inconvenient" for them. Hell, we were all Inconvenient to the American press, the 1960's hippie revolution and by and large the American people. Most of us were treated like a pile of crap. We were unable to get jobs in the government sector because all the jobs were held by WW2 and Korea guys and the economy wasn't really progressing enough to provide jobs as we were mostly Baby Boomers back from a war nobody wanted or understood.

Due to my combat injuries I couldn't do my job I had before I went over. It was a hell of a mess and it contrasts with the way the current group of guys from Iraq and Afghanistan are being treated. And I think it is great the way the American people have rallied around those guys and gals who served in the sandbox, my three sons being some of them. I had to start my own company to earn a living and it has been good to me and I hired mostly VN vets for all my employees but, I was only one small company and couldn't help that many guys or gals.

The VA should be shut down and each veteran given a special credit card for his or her health care. The VA has become another government boondoggle filled with people who are there for quitting time and a paycheck. Sorry if I sound bitter but that is the way I feel.

Edit to add: I don't go to the VA for medical treatment as I really think they are trying to kill off the VN people. Most of my friends I served with are now dead from their service connected issues. I don't smoke or drink and eat a healthy diet but still came down with the Type 2 diabetes directly related to Agent Orange exposure. I keep it under control with diet and exercise but it still is a pain in the butt to deal with.

Thank You for your service brother!

You do not sound bitter to me at all. It is fact. It is interesting to me the path of the soldier over time. I served six years and got out in 1984. I was enlisted a couple of years after the formal "volunteer force" was in effect and no more draft. There was still a negative view of military and I am not sure when that ended ? Believe me , in the late 1970's , no one, no one, ever "thanked me for my service". Today, it is different. I am thankful for that because all of our service members interrupt his/her life to serve our country.

Now, the VA funding is political and I agree with you on the money issue. The greatest thing I have heard was your statement on giving each veteran a card for treatment wherever they need to go. Wonderful idea.

I just wonder sometimes if this country ever needed a draft again , how that would look ?

Not sure a draft would work in this era. A large portion of the young people do not have an interest in serving our country and think that asshat foot ball QB Kapernik (sp?') is cool.

I do firmly believe, and have written both my senators, that we need a mandatory two years of national service for all teenagers after high school with no exceptions or deferments. The park service, inner cities, sea shore reclamination, etc. could use extra help and the kids would really see this wonderful country.

Not sure a draft would work in this era. A large portion of the young people do not have an interest in serving our country and think that asshat foot ball QB Kapernik (sp?') is cool.

I do firmly believe, and have written both my senators, that we need a mandatory two years of national service for all teenagers after high school with no exceptions or deferments. The park service, inner cities, sea shore reclamination, etc. could use extra help and the kids would really see this wonderful country.

I agree with you about the youth hesitating serving. Now, QB Kapernik , certainly is an asshat. But, I will propose another thought. My son , when I talk with him, always refers to the Veteran's we have in our family. The VA seems to deny , deny , deny, until a massive campaign is raised on an issue ? Asbestos, agent orange , etc.. He cites to me that the Government has the same effect as Capitalistic Companies. Meaning loyalty will be given as loyalty is expressed. I had a tough time working through that.
Actually, I just had a family member die at age 60 from esophageal cancer and he was an ex marine who not only was born at camp lejune, he then enlisted and served there. And, he drank the water. Take a read on this issue.

http://www.usmedicine.com/agencies/...ater-associated-with-higher-cancer-incidence/

So, there are a few problems here. The youth need to respect and humble themselves for others of their country , but, they need to be assured respect and reward for gallant dedication and service. How we get there from here is questionable.

My Grandmother grew up during the Depression and always said to me, " Until you know extreme hardship, you can never measure how good you have it".

She also said , " the man with no shoes cried until he met the man with no feet".

X2 1969FJ

We had a USAF pilot come speak to us last week that spent six years as a POW after being shot down in Nam.

Sometimes I feel like I'm doing great things for my country, but I felt as worthless as a bag of football bats after hearing what he'd been though.

X2 TachedOutOffroad. POW's were very badly mistreated and now we have the large American companies over there setting up shop.

I flew AH-1G Cobras and led a heavy fire team plus four other lift helicopters into North Vietnam to attempt a rescue of some POW's. After shooting our way in the camp had been abandoned, except for the quad 51 AA guns and 37 MM AA guns, and then we had to shoot our way back out. Intell was not the best and it seems the Navy and Air Force guys who were shot down near Hanoi got most of the press. Re: Hanoi Hilton. The POW camps elsewhere did not get the attention as far as I remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom