the SharkNet (a product build thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Similar to abuck99 - tried to rank only two... TOYOTA then Sombrero (with TOYOTA way out front #1).

Thank you to everyone that has voted for a grill emblem (SharkNet Grill Emblem) - message received loud and clear:

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 2.51.43 PM.png

Old FJ style is a *huge* winner, Sombrero 2nd, and what I had thought would be popular, the TEQ, is middlin' around 4th. This info was VERY helpful for me, in particular because now I can deprioritize finding the perfect material for the TEQ and focus that energy elsewhere. I'll close the bounty on that then, but still award it to @csw266 who worked the hardest - congrats dude!

It's sounding like some people may want no emblem, some way want to reuse their sombrero, and some may want the FJ (which they may get through local yard or club) so I will sell the grill with no emblem in its base configuration, and then you can add one as an option. I've spoken with BH3D and may offer one or two of his designs in my shop as well - hashing out details.

This week I hope to have the last proto bits, plus some powdercoated sample bits, and would LOVE to be showing you pics of a grill installed in my rig, next weekend. Subject to supplier schedules of course, but we are getting close!

IMG_0578.JPG
I like the look of the earlier FJ-40 emblem in chrome as opposed to white. Might be too small for a 100 but I like it on my 98 4Runner.

Really enjoying this, Dave. Being somewhat involved in product dev on a bigger, less fun scale, it's very refreshing how you involve your customers. Put me down for the Toyota grille for sure.

Really enjoying this, Dave. Being somewhat involved in product dev on a bigger, less fun scale, it's very refreshing how you involve your customers. Put me down for the Toyota grille for sure.
Glad you like all these posts! I think it helps folks understand why it takes us independent vendors so long to make things, as opposed to wondering "is he still working on that"??? Now they know 'wow, he spent 3 hours just looking for a plastic material'.

And for me the feedback is *great* so I don't burn energy needlessly. The moment I can show a complete proto of this grill I will because I want to know if I have created a product people will be comfortable installing, or if I made things too tough, or I missed the mark on a feature they thought would be there. Plus if I get pushback I have other ways to skin this cat and can switch before I go and order a bunch.

For those wondering, yes this will kick off with a group buy at a discount, capped at the first 10.

This info was VERY helpful for me, in particular because now I can deprioritize finding the perfect material for the TEQ and focus that energy elsewhere. I'll close the bounty on that then, but still award it to @csw266 who worked the hardest - congrats dude!

Thanks @cruzerDave !

Screenshot_20171127-170816.png

Last edited:
The wait for sheet metal is possibly drawing to an end, thanks for your patience. Pursuing (3) avenues now to get the sheet metal cut, and have (4) welding options on standby. Yes you need redundancy if you want even (1) to come through in a busy market.

So there's a very good chance I will be able to get something cut and welded and painted and installed and ready to show you by the end of the weekend...

My guy did not deliver yesterday, sorry folks, but he *swears* Monday he'll cut it, which means day or 2 to then assemble, paint, install, and have a pic for you. This is the pain of product development ;)

ABOUT TIME

I picked up the proto sheet metal bits yesterday, my welder is tackling his step tonight!

Screen Shot 2017-12-12 at 5.53.50 AM.png

That's only 2 weeks lost to what I had hoped would take 2 days. Can't do anything about it, that's just #entrepreneuriallife ;)

OKAY

HERE

YOU

GO,

SHARKNET

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 7.16.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-13 at 7.16.09 PM.png

As guessed earlier, yes it is a Satoshi-style-40-series grill ;)

Kelly has already gone super high-end fancy-design so that's covered, so I did what I know best, 'keep it simple'.

This is essentially an insert to your existing grill frame, so uses all the stock mounting, weather seals, and contours. The wire mesh is .105" thick so very, very sturdy, and the sheet metal and screw mounting system is like a 5-10 minute job. I need to do a few more iterations of sheet metal to get the profile right (you can see in the 2nd pic), especially as it wanted to install differently than I expected once I had the bits it in my hands. At $100 and 1-2 weeks a pop though I need to minimize how many iterations I do...

I've been very conscientious about cost as I designed this, and initial group buy price will be just $99 and I'l set that thread up tomorrow.

Right now I just wanted to get this in front of everyone after such a long wait - I'm going to go have a sip of Talisker Storm to celebrate ;)

I am most definitely in on first group buy. will be looking tomorrow. Congrats and I bet the initial response will be 100! get it! I crack myself up

I really like the look. Much better and more old school than stock. Put me in for 1.

If you ever make one for a 2001 LX 470, I will be your first sell!

In, in and in.

Count me in for one!

Count me in as soon as that LX one is done! Love your approach, and the price is right where it needs to be for something Like this. Should have a ton of sales!

Not to nitpick, but I have the same question about that top corner too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom