Winter tire sizes 20” wheels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, looking for winter tires for stock wheels on an LX. Narrower is typically better for snow but how narrow can I go on stock rims. Tire calculator shows 255/55-20 is closest to stock diameter but is that too narrow for stock rims? Anyone else using winter tires of a different size than stock with good results?

Thanks

255/55 R20 tires are generally recommended for wheels from 7 to 9 inches in width. IIRC correctly, the stock 20s are 8.5 so you should be good. I would double check your wheel width (stamped on inside of wheel usually) and look at the mfg website for the tire you want and confirm that the specs align...

255/55 R20 tires are generally recommended for wheels from 7 to 9 inches in width. IIRC correctly, the stock 20s are 8.5 so you should be good. I would double check your wheel width (stamped on inside of wheel usually) and look at the mfg website for the tire you want and confirm that the specs align...
Thanks for the info. Looking at Nokian R2 SUV and they are $$$, but $70 less per tire in 255/55-20 and since narrow typically is better for snow thinking it may be a good option for winter.

Should be a good option. I am running studded 255 70 18s on my stock wheels for my winter setup (same width as what you are looking at and a bit taller). I went with Cooper M&S. Got the set for $450 plus 120 for studs, mount and balance after a coupon on tirebuyer. Figured it was a good option for the price.

My wife has the studless DM V2s on our 4runner and they are surprisingly good too.

i have been running Bridgestone Blizzaks in the stock size 285/50/r20 for 5 winters and they work really well. I have often wondered if 275/55/r20 would make a material difference.

Hey all, looking for winter tires for stock wheels on an LX. Narrower is typically better for snow but how narrow can I go on stock rims. Tire calculator shows 255/55-20 is closest to stock diameter but is that too narrow for stock rims? Anyone else using winter tires of a different size than stock with good results?

Thanks

On an LX, the stock P285/50R20 tires at the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure of 33psi have a Load Index of 111 and a Load Limit of 2,315 lbs/tire.

Any replacement tire must have the capability to achieve at least that Load Limit with appropriate pressure, and should be the same or higher Load Index.

The Nokian R2 SUV tires in size 255/55R20 max out at 2,340 pounds Load Limit so you would probably be OK, but you would be running them at or near maximum pressure all the time. Other P255/55R20 tires typically max out at 2,149 lbs Load Limit with a Load Index of 107 and would not be suitable for use on the LX.

So, just a word of caution - for any tire you choose, be sure the Load Index (>111) and the Load Limit (>2,315) are suitable for use on your LX.

HTH

Thanks! In the end I decided that 30mm less width was just too much foot print to loose so decided on stock size tire size. Where do you locate the load limit/index info?

Thanks! In the end I decided that 30mm less width was just too much foot print to loose so decided on stock size tire size. Where do you locate the load limit/index info?

Sounds like a good choice.

Load Index should be embossed on the tire or in the size description (Load Index Bold/Underline): LT285/70R17E 121/118R

Here is a good online source for Load Limit/Pressure tables: https://toyo-arhxo0vh6d1oh9i0c.stac...ication_of_load_inflation_tables_20170203.pdf

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom