Winter Event February 16th-19th, This year in Fort McMurray (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

arnott1t

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok folks, I wanted to get something in everyones calendar so we can start planning for our annual winter fishing event turned wheeling event. For the past 2 years we've been going to Nordegg and exploring out there and having a good time. Truck got stuck, tires were popped, and hands were burnt.....

This year we are going to try something a little different. A trek north to some of my old stomping grounds and to the land of the T-BAR (Tarsand Boreal Royale).

Recipe will be similar to other years. For a nomimnal fee of ~200 bucks you'll get 3 nights accommodations, 6 meals, participation in a pretty decent raffle and if we can pull it off again... a solid swag bag. We typically get 12 or so trucks and 20 or so people. Not really limited on size but if we get really big (which would be great) we'll spilt the party up for speed on the trails.

Feb 16th:
This is a travel day where folks blow off work a little early and head north. This is my biggest concern as this hasn't really changed the distance for our edmonton folks but really will impact our Calgary Friends. I'm hoping they still are encouraged to make the trek up for a great event. I know of a certain 53' cruiser barge that might have room if @Behemoth60 decides to attend. We'll arrive at the hotel and get set up for 2 days of trail riding.

Feb 17th:
Trail Ride day one.

Breakfast at the hotel

Poplar creek trail system:
This area is always fun in the winter. Hopefully the snow is good and we can spend all day exploring the valleys and forest and even sneak in a decent view here and there.

Trail Lunch provided

Dinner at one of YMM's famed restaurants..... ok well it will likely be better than Nordegg anyway....and open past 7pm....

Feb 18th:
Trail Ride day 2:
Breakfast at McCray's

Christina River/Clearwater River Trails

Trail Lunch

Dinner somehwere.... Thinking a BBQ at a local cruiserheads place to match up with a garage raffle. Haven't got the planning done on this part yet though....
Raffle

Feb 19th:
You're on your own for this day for grub and for getting yourself home! But the plan is everyone heads home this day and has lots of time to get there...

So Lets start expressing interest and maybe get a leg up on the planning.

Tyler

I am strong tentative (pending my super-shop build schedule).
Driving Xerxes with Marge would be a definitive test of my dubious Cummins engine fix (If I get to this, I can tell that story)

Dibs have already been called for all the spots on Marge - 2x 81's from Craig @Lumpy70 and Marc @shaker and Shaker the Magnificent BJ42.
In fact, last time Shaker was in Fort MacMurray it suffered an ignominious end. Perhaps it is time for Shaker's triumphant return.

Put me down in the "wish I could make it" camp. :)

I can't believe people would trailer their 80s! Is there a more luxurious vehicle to drive!?!

Are the trails do-able in a stock un-locked 60?

They are super doable in an unlocked 60 and most were first driven by me in exactly that. it would also be worth a lunch box install through as they are more fun then!

Glad to hear we have some interest and I hope it shapes up as good as the others.

I really liked my Aussie. Worked great and made a huge difference. Huge

Ha ha, was it huge? Prez? Actually now that you said huge twice, I noticed the aussie made huge differences in my wheeling rigs too, and two assuies were even huger. Huger.

I would like to come, but my wife seems to have life changing plans coming around then, so I should stick with her. One year I will make this, I promise ;) Just like I will make Moab one year, back to Cruiser days one year, the rubithon............;)

I really liked my Aussie. Worked great and made a huge difference. Huge

I had forgotten about the Aussie locker.
They all seem to have similar reviews and similar complaints; pm me where you bought yours.

I have a full detroit in a rear end right now, but I was thinking that may make the on-road portion of the drive more challenging than the offroad portion. Walt is a real challenge to drive in the winter even with duratracs on it, but that is a mini-truck with no weight in the back.

I have a full detroit in a rear end right now, but I was thinking that may make the on-road portion of the drive more challenging than the offroad portion. Walt is a real challenge to drive in the winter even with duratracs on it, but that is a mini-truck with no weight in the back.

The lack of weight may be a big thing... Based on my research these types always engaged locker systems are close to unnoticeable on an AWD Heavy Truck like the 80. I have heard the lack of weight on a pickup may do it, and that the rear end could be more unpredictable on a 2 WD.

I know with an Aussie in the back my 62 made me skidmark my shorts a couple times on long winter highway drives in 2WD when conditions would change from bare to black ice without realizing it. Stop, lock the hubs and put it in 4WD, no more problem.

The Aussie made it much more capable off road.(Warning: Dumb inside joke) Like almost climb the walls better. I imagine if they ever come out with a Kiwi Locker, it would be capable of taking you up into the rafters.

I am going to put my tentative plan to attend, that's if outsiders are welcome?! Its' in the middle of my time off
and I'd enjoy and chance to do a nice winter drive. My 60 is looking good to go.
I should have an ARB in back, otherwise pretty stock.
I'll know for sure just after New Years in case something changes my
work schedule.

I'm in...I should start working on an LS swap now I guess...Ty, we should discuss raffle plans.

Tom and Dusty showed some interest the other day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom