Club Meeting - input required (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our last attempt at a club meeting at The Canteen was less than successful. We had a good time, the food and beer was ok, but it was pretty crowded and the band made it tough to hear. The idea that we could park as a group and stand near our trucks with a beer was not an option.

So here are a few questions:
  • Do we want to try to have a few night-meetings after work during the colder months? Or should we revert back to our standard breakfast meetings?
  • If the night-meeting is of interest, does anybody have any suggestions (place, day of the month, time etc??)

Once I get some feedback, I will post up our next meeting for Jan. Thanks for chiming in!

Thanks.
Larry

Since I am just a far away member that can only make meetings once in a while, here is just an idea, is there a place where you can get a private room and not deal with others talking and the noise?

Once warmer temps hit, we can sit in the patio of these places.

I like the idea of sipping a beer while linger around our rigs. The brewery that TAV had the meet and greet at last year was great.

We need something between the east side and west side that is loitering friendly and doesn't mind beer.

When I was in Montana, the tlca 406 cruisers chapter's unofficial clubhouse is a brewery in Bozeman. Every month their meetings held on a Tuesday evening and once every quarter on a Saturday at high noon. It seems to work out really well. I lived 3hrs away . I couldn't make the Tuesday meetings but went to all of the quarterlies. Since I'll be in Los Alamos I could see a similar schedule potentially working for myself and others who don't live directly in the Albuquerque area

Last edited:
the brewery we were at also had a separate room. the quarterly meetings on the weekends , we were pretty much the 1st ones in the parking lot. from my understanding the Tuesday meetings were more for the board members and the quarterly meetings more for the members. both open to all. none members were encouraged to come and we're able to join the same day and received a window sticker. t-shirts we're also available. ... I have more ideas based on my experience with the 406Cruisers and my time as the unofficial president of the now mythical Step~Cal FJ. just stinks that I'm not out there yet. I don't know the structure of the High Desert Cruisers club and have zero idea of New Mexicos network of trails

The structure is as follows: If nobody volunteers to be Prez, someone who didn't show up to the meeting is appointed. If they don't protest too loudly, they stay Prez. Occasionally, people get voluntold to be the shirt or sticker committee chair. Lastly, if you pay $20/year, your are official. If you don't pay it, you don't get a 'free' T-shirt. The membership money mostly pays for an annual party at Christmas or in the summer.

cool beans. I'll help out any way I can when I move out there in January. I'm single with no kids. with that said I like to not be at home on the weekends. I just need someone or a small group of 2-4vehicle to show me where trails and areas are so I can start planning an unofficial annual Spring Fling event with trails for all abilities and trails for a biannual Daylight Savings Midnight Runs.

Larry, I am game for whatever as far as morning or evening/weekend or weekday. Evening seems better for winter somehow, but I don't know about standing around trucks on a cold evening. I like the private room idea.
Where was the TAV event?

I don't really do the brewery thing so don't know what's good or bad. Maybe we need some folks to volunteer to officially reconnoiter the local establishments?

The Grill on San Mateo/Comanche... food is OK but no beer. The interior is pretty big and I think OG Hot Rod guys do meetings there. Parking right in front is no better than The Daily Grind, but the southwest end of the parking lot is usually vacant... and a bit of a hike from the front door. Maybe not so easy to get to for west siders.

Vic's Vittles on Central/Wyoming has a private room. It also could be an alternative for Saturday breakfast or lunch. Food is diner'ish. No beer. Parking is so/so and may be too far for west siders. Its in the DMZ east of the warzone so there's that. That's the only place I know has a meeting room.

C'mon, fellers. Voice up with places you've encountered that could work, especially on the west side? What place has a meeting room? Or a big yard?

Vic's Vittles has good food and a decent sized private room in back. There is ample parking. I would argue the DMZ boundary being further north and east from there. I don't eat out enough to have any suggestions for a West Side location, other than my house, which is apparently not an option for most scenarios, according to the boss.

I believe the location is less important for me, but rather if we have anything else going on at that date/time. Until the kiddos are driving themselves, it's going to be a crap shoot whether I can attend.

Weekday evenings for me are very likely not possible. The breakfast format works for me.

Vince

I think weeknights are not the best choice. Between work and kids' activities, I wouldn't likely make it. Of course I never make the weekend gatherings either, so I don't really get a vote.

I think the weekend breakfast option has worked out pretty well. Granted, I have been traveling a lot lately, so I can't always get there. I'm not a beer drinker myself, so that part doesn't matter to me, but I'm fine to show up somewhere and have a soft drink if that works for others. But I would agree with Vince and Marc - weekends are likely to get a better turnout than weeknights.

Thanks for all of your input. I think this is helpful. I am not convinced to give up on the night meetings but I see a clear argument to keep the breakfast thing going. That has worked from my view and people are use to attending during the mornings now that we have been doing it for a few years.

Perhaps we keep the morning thing and focus more on events/runs.

Any other input is welcomed!

when was the last time the hdcruisers.org page been updated, or is it mothballed?

when was the last time the hdcruisers.org page been updated, or is it mothballed?
It has been awhile and this has also been on the agenda to update. At the last meeting, Christine (Frank's wife) indicated she didn't have the log in information to make the updates. So website update is stalled right night. I would welcome if somebody would help Christine.

At the last meeting, Christine (Frank's wife) indicated she didn't have the log in information to make the updates.
I thought this was resolved with Ron's help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom