Hose next to the PHH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So the other day I'm out in the 97 Cruiser and I hop out and leave it running. I come back and notice a small 4" puddle and see a drip. The AC isn't connected atm, so no condenser drip. I figure I didn't get the PHH connector tightened down enough and it was leaking so as much as it hurt my feelings I would get back to it and re-torque it down.

Good news ... PHH is dry and happy as a clam and now that I knew what tools to use to reach it, I got at it in ~5 mins.

Bad news ... all the rust colored staining (my coolant system needs further work and new radiator) def shows signs of the leak being in that area

Worse news ... I started the truck up while on the jack stands where I could see the PHH and can clearly see the drip coming from the area just to the left (front of truck) side of where the PHH is located. It's the other hose that is so horrible I'm not even sure it has a name.

Can anyone help me with the search and or add some detail on how I reach this? Is this a top down fix where the upper and lower intakes come off? If someone has a page number in the FSM I will do my best to follow along there. This truck is like a bad wife, slowly draining my pockets and sucking the life out of me. I refuse to let it beat me though.

That is a water by-pass hose that come down from the aft side of the throttle body and then connects to the head where you see it leaking. You need not remove anything except that hose. It is painin the ass but completely doable.

Yep...what Baldy said. The one hose I didn’t have the strength to tackle during my cooling system overhaul. Post some pics of your journey when you get after it...:)

That's the culprit that caused my head gasket failure. in my opinion that thing is as hard to change as the phh

Yep...what Baldy said. The one hose I didn’t have the strength to tackle during my cooling system overhaul. Post some pics of your journey when you get after it...:)

After still having some forearm scarring from the PHH repair I may need to seek professional help on this one. I can't even see the hose to look at it, let alone get tools to it.

In the other thread ... am I looking at the No 1 water bypass hose?

Yeah...number one. I couldn’t find it possible to remove myself either but maybe with the intake off it could be done. After replacing the phh, modding the fan clutch, new rad, new water pump, t stat, rad hoses, belts, etc. I just left it but it needs to be done.

After still having some forearm scarring from the PHH repair I may need to seek professional help on this one. I can't even see the hose to look at it, let alone get tools to it.

In the other thread ... am I looking at the No 1 water bypass hose?
A quick fix that I did n time just heirs leaving for a wheeling trip is to pull the hose from the head, snip Off an inch and re-install. This was still holding a year later when I finally replaced the hose.

I guess working on airplanes for 30 years has given me a different opinion of working on the 80. I don’t think the PHH or that bypass hose is more than a one :banana: job. Having the necessary tools and enduring the inconvenience will pay off in the long run. This is not an operation that requires “professional” know how. It requires a high degree of “I give a crap” though.

Yes, it is #1 bypass hose.

Remove upper intake plenum for more room to work. It's several extra steps but gets one in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom