My new obsession 94 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
shanksmare.com
I just picked up this 94 LC about 2 weeks ago. Straight trade for my 05 Pathfinder. This makes my 30th vehicle owned and I have to say one of my favorites. I have driven a few over the years including a rhd one in Afghanistan and have had owning one on my list.

It has 230k mile, a few modifications, and overall is very clean. It came from Colorado originally, so it is rust free.

My plans are to fix everything that is needed including,RH mirror, antenna, rear hatch lifts, and front axle seals. Also needs tires so I am going to 33s and maybe a small lift. Trying to keep from going crazy since I have other projects that came first. We’ll see how this goes.

Nice 80 and good score. I have owned many brands of car too, but these days the record just keep skipping on Cruisers; and I am ok with that.

Great year, great color, great black out on the flares! :flipoff2:

And a Slee Shortbus bumper......score!

94's are the best! Good job!

Thanks guys. I am very happy with it. Besides the maintenance and repair stuff above I am going to change up the rack a bit. Change some of the lighting that was done. Add 2” lift springs, it already has bilsteins that should work for the time being. Maybe a winch since the short bus bumper is ready for it. Exhaust and stereo upgrade. Now I just need time and money.

Nice rig! Welcome! :flipoff2:

What are going to do with the rack? @dogfishlake has a very cool modular rack if you are going with the low profile type look. He’s a good dude, long timer here, and newer vendor. Can’t go wrong here.

Lift: I have a Tough dog 2” lift and highly recommend them. I’ve had other brands over the past 25 years and am very pleased with mine. Have about 25k in it. @reevesci is the US distributor. Very good dude. Long timer and excellent vendor. He’s gotten a lot of my money (interior vinyl flooring, rack, sliders, rear bumper, suspension). FWIW, I have 33”s with a 2” lift and love the look. You shouldn’t NEED castor correction with 2” lift. You could do it if you are anal retentive but countless people have done a 2” lift without it. Over 2” and you will need castor correction. I think 2” is the perfect lift on an 80. Gives it enough of an improved stance.

Careful doing any exhaust work. It has all been done before. There are no performance upgrades to do that are worth a sh!t. They’ve all been done. If your rig is rust free your exhaust should be rust free. They came with stainless exhaust. If it’s a matter of clearance then that’s another topic.

Stereo has been done by many.

Order two fusible links. Replace the one in it now, keep a new one as a spare. Save yourself the hassle and worry. They are cheap and not worth wondering if it is “ok” or not.

Fusible Link for 80 Series Land Cruiser

Google search and look for Mud links on any questions you have. Everything you can think of has happened to one of us already. Don’t panic there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Countless who are more knowledgeable than I. Like freaky smart.

Keep oil in it, fuel, make sure your coolant system is up to snuff, change fluids in your diffs, and moly grease in your knuckles. Enjoy for the next 20 years!

So true on that cooling system. If it has a rubber hose, replace it. Radiators are pretty cheap too so consider the whole shebang- radiator (koyorad or mrT), Aisin water pump, oem thermostat, oem rad cap, oem rad hoses, phh kit with gates hose-don't bother with silicone, new blue fan clutch (modded new one is even better, see Wits End).

It will avoid a lot of potential head gasket blowing risk and most all 80's are due for it anyway

Oh, and green antifreeze after a good flush out. Red is original but proven not necessary anymore (just don't mix)

I'll tell every newbie to read the FAQ here. Mods and member contributions have made that section invaluable!

I’m just curious who in the hell gave up a sweet 94 LC and took a 05 Friggin Nissan Pathfinder as trade...dumbass! :crybaby:

Nice rig! Welcome! :flipoff2:

What are going to do with the rack? @dogfishlake has a very cool modular rack if you are going with the low profile type look. He’s a good dude, long timer here, and newer vendor. Can’t go wrong here.

Lift: I have a Tough dog 2” lift and highly recommend them. I’ve had other brands over the past 25 years and am very pleased with mine. Have about 25k in it. @reevesci is the US distributor. Very good dude. Long timer and excellent vendor. He’s gotten a lot of my money (interior vinyl flooring, rack, sliders, rear bumper, suspension). FWIW, I have 33”s with a 2” lift and love the look. You shouldn’t NEED castor correction with 2” lift. You could do it if you are anal retentive but countless people have done a 2” lift without it. Over 2” and you will need castor correction. I think 2” is the perfect lift on an 80. Gives it enough of an improved stance.

Careful doing any exhaust work. It has all been done before. There are no performance upgrades to do that are worth a sh!t. They’ve all been done. If your rig is rust free your exhaust should be rust free. They came with stainless exhaust. If it’s a matter of clearance then that’s another topic.

Stereo has been done by many.

Order two fusible links. Replace the one in it now, keep a new one as a spare. Save yourself the hassle and worry. They are cheap and not worth wondering if it is “ok” or not.

Fusible Link for 80 Series Land Cruiser

Google search and look for Mud links on any questions you have. Everything you can think of has happened to one of us already. Don’t panic there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Countless who are more knowledgeable than I. Like freaky smart.

Keep oil in it, fuel, make sure your coolant system is up to snuff, change fluids in your diffs, and moly grease in your knuckles. Enjoy for the next 20 years!
Thanks for all the info. @dogfishlake ’s rack looks sweet, but we have a family owned kayak shop that I am the main guide and instructor for. I also do a lot of kayak fishing on my own time. We are a Thule, Yakima, and Malone dealer as well. I am going to run 4 of the regular height Thule towers and install my Hullavator on the middle two bars.
Here is my pathfinder loaded for a day out.

Good info on the suspension. Reconfirmed my thoughts. I will pick up the fusible links as well. Fluids will happen when I do the axle.

So true on that cooling system. If it has a rubber hose, replace it. Radiators are pretty cheap too so consider the whole shebang- radiator (koyorad or mrT), Aisin water pump, oem thermostat, oem rad cap, oem rad hoses, phh kit with gates hose-don't bother with silicone, new blue fan clutch (modded new one is even better, see Wits End).

It will avoid a lot of potential head gasket blowing risk and most all 80's are due for it anyway

Oh, and green antifreeze after a good flush out. Red is original but proven not necessary anymore (just don't mix)

Radiator was done by the previous owner. I will do a flush and check out the hoses as well.

I'll tell every newbie to read the FAQ here. Mods and member contributions have made that section invaluable!

I have been doing tons of reading and come across a wealth of info.

I’m just curious who in the hell gave up a sweet 94 LC and took a 05 Friggin Nissan Pathfinder as trade...dumbass! :crybaby:
I think it had to do with his wife. Which is funny because my wife didn’t like the pathfinder either, but likes the LC.
Her 4runner

I think it had to do with his wife. Which is funny because my wife didn’t like the pathfinder either, but likes the LC.

Is it bad that the first thing I thought of was a wife issue?

Sweet truck! You got the better deal. I like the Yakima and Thule stuff too. I like all the attachments you can get for all of your junk.

A little update. I am leaning toward my head gasket being blown.

This morning I hopped in to run to Lowe’s and it would barely idle. Got a couple min down the road and it shut off. I got it started and kept driving without a complete stop. Noticed it started to overheat. Stopped and let it cool down. Went into a nearby advanced auto and bought a gallon of coolant. It took the whole gallon plus a bit more. I also noticed the overflow tank was full of coolant. Also had the check engine light turn on. Turned out to be codes 25 and 26.

Nursed it home and started trouble shooting. Messed with the EGR and hunted for vacuum leaks, nothing. Now it is even hard to start. I haven’t gotten to do a leak down or compression test, but I am thinking it may be time to tear it down. Sucks that it is this soon.

Pull the spark plugs. A virgin clean plug is a dead give away. Did you see a fog emitting from your tail pipe?

Pull you spark plugs. A virgin clean plug is a dead give away. Did you see a fog emitting from your tail pipe?
I will pull them when I get my tools to my house. Also moved and haven’t moved my toolbox yet. I couldn’t see the exhaust while I was driving because the passenger mirror is broken off (New one happened to arrive this afternoon)

If it will run long enough, you can use a block tester kit that can be rented from an auto parts store. they are not invasive and don’t lie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom