x (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yaesu is a great brand, so is Icom and Kenwood. If you go handheld, try to get a Yaesu submersible like the vx6r, better built to withstand the outdoors world on trails. Otherwise rig mount is more powerful, longer range.

Yaesu makes an excellent radio. I've had an FT8800, FT7800, and VX-6R for a decade now, all still working great.
I much prefer a vehicle mount. Yes you can run an external antenna off a handheld, but it's kind of a messy PITA. HT will usually have around 5W, vehicle mount will have 50-70W.

If it were me getting a deal on any of those radios I'd go for the FTM-400 and remote mount the body. Add an HT later as they're just handy to have.

I've had several Yaesu radios and they've all been good. The Yaesu FT-2900 is great (2 meters only) trail radio, and it needs no fan to keep it cool. Still have one in one of my 4WD trucks (actually the older 2800 model). If you want and can afford more bands and dual receive/transmit then spend away! APRS is fun to run on a wheeling trip; folks at home can see where you are on a map in real time.

Last edited:
I agree, Yaesu makes very good radios.

I also agree on the fact that you should definitely get a mobile instead of a handheld.

The 2900R is a bombproof radio, if you're looking for a dedicated 2m rig.

I will go a little deeper based on your options above. The 8900 is a great quad band, simple dual receiver. I had one in my 80 and sold it recently (replaced with Icom 5100a). But the 400, also dual receiver, would give you a very nice screen and you will only loose the bands you cant transmit on anyways from the 8900. I would go with the 400 on the truck, and it does have digital radio system Fusion (proprietary Yaesu) which I understand has a lot of activity on the west coast. A mobile rig on your truck will have much longer range than a hand held. If you are going far out and can only get one of the above, get the 400.

It is good to keep a handheld, keep it in your go bag or at the campsite if you go out for days. You can get direct weather alerts for example. If you go on foot excursions you can take that with you. What you can do is power the 400 in the truck, and set it to cross band repeat. That will allow the handheld (short range) to stay in touch with your truck radio and your truck radio will re-transmit the message on high power. If you see that a possible situation for your planned adventures, you can see the advantages. Of the 2 you have to select from the 60 is the cheaper version but also the one I would choose. I would get 2! The 2DR is much nicer, digital radio, but only screen inputs. So if you drop the ratio on a rock and smash the screen, its gone. The 60 has buttons, looks more rugged for outdoor work.
If the 60 is out of budget range ounce you get the 400, get a Baofeng for $25, again its good to keep a handheld. Baofengs are crap, but I have mine for years as backups, lend them out, throw them around, and they always work. Cheap insurance, and I call them the Goldfish pet of the radios; you wont take a goldfish to the vet when it starts swimming sideways, you get another one and tell your kids "this is the same Fishy".

With that in mind, I would strongly recommend the Icom 5100a over the Yaesu 400. Lower cost to start, but the features on it, ease of work while on the trail is what sold me. It has D-star (Icom, Kenwood, others) digital radio which has a much larger user base than Fusion (Yaesu only). I did my first long road trip with the 5100, and strongly recommend. It has the ability to store 1500 repeaters, and based on your GPS location will find repeaters near you. That to me was outstanding. The touchscreen menu was intuitive and very easy to use while on trails too, large clear display. Uses an SD card too to store the repeaters, so you could have multiple files with multiple states of stored repeaters, and just load up the area you are in.
In my opinion, Yaesu and Icom are very similar on quality and build, both Japanese first class manufacturers, so you won't go wrong with either.

A couple of map shots from Repeaterbook.com
Fusion repeaters:
Fusion.PNG

Dstar repeaters:
dstar.PNG

For Rubicon you will want a dual band unit as some of the repeaters are 70cm. For what its worth I run a Kenwood TM-71A in the rig and a Baofeng handheld.

Excellent info from @Izzyandsue

One thing not covered yet is home use. I started with a baofeng and got everything set up to use it mobile--mag mount antenna, speaker mic, dash mount, cig lighter adapter. It worked fine. I then bought Izzy's old quad band tyt(copy of yaesu 8900) and it is better than an HT in every way. I have since picked up an old icom mobile for the house and only use the HTs for two things--monitoring other frequencies while I am on the radio and reaching back to the truck when cross band repeating. They are useful to have around, but IMO, you should spend the money on two or more mobile units--one for each rig and an older used rig for the house. Grab a couple baofengs and you are set.

Using a mobile at the house has a couple advantages--you can run it off of an old car battery or other 12v power source in the event power goes out. It also will run higher power if you need\want to reach out further. You have the option to temp mount it in another vehicle (wife's) for non wheeling trips.

All the radios are good radios. I currently have a Kenwood V71 dual band. One VFO is connected to a Mobilink TNC with a bluetooth connection to an adroid tablet to give me APRS. If you are new you may not know what this is but look into it and you will think it is cool.

Also you may want to get a radio that can do cross band repeat. What that will let you do is use your HT (notice no brand mentioned) to talk to your vehicle on low power and have it transmit on high power. That can come in handy when you are out guiding or watching others.

aprs is nice now that it works with "Backcountry Navigator." Many map/ tracks available. It is great if guiding and if running an event. You can keep track easily of all the guides and trails.

I will agree if it is just you and your group aprs it is not so important.

Rubicon trail Repeaters!

805ELD - (KA6GWY in Pollock Pines) 146.805, PL of 123, - offset
805TAH - (KA6GWY in Tahoe Basin) 145.605, PL of 123, + offset
RUBI - (Coverage wthin trail only) 444.9875, PL 156.7, + offset
RUBI+ - (Linked to 805's) 444.9875, PL 107.2, + offset
RUBISIM - (Simplex) 444.9875, No pl, No offset

I will go a little deeper based on your options above. The 8900 is a great quad band, simple dual receiver. I had one in my 80 and sold it recently (replaced with Icom 5100a). But the 400, also dual receiver, would give you a very nice screen and you will only loose the bands you cant transmit on anyways from the 8900. I would go with the 400 on the truck, and it does have digital radio system Fusion (proprietary Yaesu) which I understand has a lot of activity on the west coast. A mobile rig on your truck will have much longer range than a hand held. If you are going far out and can only get one of the above, get the 400.
I have the FT8900 and don't really think it is worth the money since there aren't that many people or repeaters using 10M or 6 M FM.
I do like the dual aspect since I have used it for a cross band repeater. This is an awesome feature because it allows you to use your hand held to stay in touch with others using mobile rigs or to hit a repeater. There are some regulatory issues with running your rig this way but it does work.

I use an FT2800 in my Rubicon rig because it is stupid simple and so is not a distraction while wheeling. It is supplemented by a VX-7R HT which is an incredible radio. It receives everything from DC to daylight and is necessary on the Rubicon to access the 440 repeaters. I also use it to listen to broadcast radio, monitor CAP, air traffic, and just about any radio service.

The Baofeng radios are okay for spotting (set to min power) or to lend a non-ham friend so they can monitor the group chatter. I gave one to a friend because I got tired of him not knowing what was going on. It was worth the $20 to be able to tell him to wait up because one of us was hung up.

I decided to get a pair of the FT-60s first. Then I'll look at the Icom 5100.

Everything I've read and heard about the Baofengs was you risk getting an ass kicking by 'real' HAM operators over how poorly they operate(lots of cross band bleeding) ;)

For those in the know, I've got the following antena attached to my house:
View attachment 1579021

Is this ham related antenna or something else? It has a remote turning setup on it.

My Dad had that exact setup for a TV antenna in a very weak signal area. The motorized antenna let you fine tune to stations... just like rabbit ears and standing on one foot with a coat hanger around your neck!

Not saying that it might be used for something else too, but definitely CAN be used for TV.

The wiring was coax.

The claim on the previous owner was he was either 'MARS' or civilian equivalent(name is escaping me) My initial FCC search didn't show PO.
That would be an amateur radio, MARS / CAP is the service

Since this thread is still going, I thought I'd give a quick update.

I took the test and 'easily' scored 31 out of 35. Either blind luck or Eham.net has actual test formats, 30 of my questions showed up at least 50% of the time on the eham tests I took. It did help me that I had several JC and 4 year electrical engineering classes under my belt.

With the above said, a non-tech lady claimed to have taken 200+ practice tests(not sure where) and she got 35 out of 35.

As an 'intro' to radios following the test, we got a very specific example of how bad the Bofang/cheap Chinese radios are; basically, in addition to the frequency they are supposed to be transmitting on, they also transmit on other frequencies. I'll see if I can find the same frequency graph we were shown. The term used was out of compliance and it wasn't just one or two radios.

To be sold in the US they have to meet a minimum standard which they do. It is a $40 dual band radio. You get what you pay for. For trail use they are just fine and it does not hurt as much as if you were to drop and break a $500 radio.

For sure. I am not a fan of taking a Chinese radio hooking it to a 100 watt Mirage amp as your main radio. The point was that 5 watts on the trail will not cause any interference with anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom