AC Evaporator Issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
Think this is a problem and could be why my AC sucked? OK, rhetorical question.

Evaporator.jpg

Much better. Ready to reinstall. Now if I could just get the mess under the dash cleaned as nice as this.

evaporator box 1.jpg

evaporator box 2.jpg

You are gonna swab out all the ductwork, right?

For a real fun time, pull the section that has the heater core, split it open and replace all the foam on the movable dampers. I used foam I found in a craft store.

You are gonna swab out all the ductwork, right?.

Gonna give it a good cowboy try.

For a real fun time, pull the section that has the heater core, split it open and replace all the foam on the movable dampers. I used foam I found in a craft store.

Ha, no. I've seen the write-ups on that subject.

Finally, a done deal. All new parts. Compressor, condenser, evaporator, expansion valve, drier, both flex hoses, pressure switch, thermistor, and a bottle of PEG 46 oil. Took it to the dealer today and they vacuumed it, leak tested, and charged with R134a. This desert boy is ready for exploring again.

The pile of good Denso cool comfort:

20171028_200225.jpg

The end result:

20180205_110741.jpg

Where’d you pick up the parts? I usually order from Denso direct, their pricing is really good, but the condenser has been on back order for ever and I don’t want to pay $100 more elsewhere. I know, first world problems;)

All of the major bits ... compressor, evaporator, condenser, drier, expansion valve ... were purchased at Rockauto.com. They had the best pricing I could find.

Where’d you pick up the parts? I usually order from Denso direct, their pricing is really good, but the condenser has been on back order for ever and I don’t want to pay $100 more elsewhere. I know, first world problems;)
You could try a 4runner condenser--------denso 477-0133

You could try a 4runner condenser--------denso 477-0133
The 4Runner condenser is larger than the trucks.

Also, I've been drooling over a 3RZ conversion. Love your write-up at Marlin. Currently on page 4. I didn't need to read about the issues with the chilkat mount. I already have them from a few years ago.

Thanks Pappy, yeah toyonlyswaps Swap Parts is the place for conversion mounts these days. I was under the impression the 4runner condenser was only larger because of an additional/secondary smaller condenser that could either be eliminated/plugged or could be used even with the smaller compressors on the pickups. I don't see how it could hurt having a little more capacity especially if converting to r134a.

I was under the impression the 4runner condenser was only larger because of an additional/secondary smaller condenser that could either be eliminated/plugged or could be used even with the smaller compressors on the pickups. I don't see how it could hurt having a little more capacity especially if converting to r134a.

That is exactly the difference. The 4Runner has an additional half-core in front.

All of the major bits ... compressor, evaporator, condenser, drier, expansion valve ... were purchased at Rockauto.com. They had the best pricing I could find.

Was yours R12 or R134? If 12, where did you source the conversion stuff?

Was yours R12 or R134? If 12, where did you source the conversion stuff?
The compressor came with the oil for R-12. I dumped the oil, and put in PAG 46 (NAPA) and converted to R134a. I bought green o-rings from Autozone for the R-134a. Several of the Denso bits already came with the green rings. Autozone also had the conversion fittings. Over all, it was stupid easy.

Last edited:
The compressor came with the oil for R-12. I dumped the oil, and put in PAG 46 (NAPA) and converted to R134a. I bought green o-rings from Autozone for the R-134a. Several of the Denso bits already came with the green rings. Autozone also had the conversion fittings. Over all, it was stupid easy.

Thanks, I have a few boxes of goodness from Rockauto on the way, just need to scoop up all the conversion bits;)

Thanks, I have a few boxes of goodness from Rockauto on the way, just need to scoop up all the conversion bits;)
The o-ring kit was vehicle specific, so make sure you get the right kit. The conversion fittings don't appear to be online at Autozone, but they had them behind the counter in the store. I think they were about $10.

The o-ring kit was vehicle specific, so make sure you get the right kit. The conversion fittings don't appear to be online at Autozone, but they had them behind the counter in the store. I think they were about $10.

Thanks, appreciate it. This is actually coming at a good time, the filler neck on my original radiator is cracked. So, I'll have the whole front end torn apart doing new radiator, water pump, hoses, T-stat and doing the Taurus fan mod;)

Here is my air conditioning. I thought about sourcing all the parts to add it, but I loath taking the dash apart. I would rather poke my eye out that do that again.

th

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom