the SharkNet (a product build thread) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very interested in the TOYOTA version.

Can't wait to see the final product.

Okay, so the prototype fit very nicely, so it's time for a quick pause to check airflow. There are some mods I'll do just for show (like the 2-tone vinyl) but I'm *not* messing with cooling as I live in the high desert and am ambling 100 miles from the nearest cell tower. YMMV but for me this is a big deal I'm not going to just eyeball.

upload_2017-11-12_16-58-34.png

First step is to trace the prototype on graph paper, then to draw it into my favorite 3D modeling program Sketchup.
IMG_20171112_163752_927.jpg

Next we measure and draw the OEM grill, and some honkin' driving lights for fun, because let's be honest, if you don't have some already they're on your list.
IMG_20171112_165554_801.jpg

Then we measure the open areas, and drop the data in excel for analysis because, well, I'm an engineer and I just think better in rows and columns:

Screen Shot 2017-11-12 at 4.50.13 PM.png

Sweet! It confirms what I suspected - we will have better open area airflow with SharkNet than with the OEM grill (minus some for a logo which I admit is not in the calcs yet).

As soon as the design settles into place I will update y'all with an exact calculation, but for now rest assured that those poor overloaded pack mules of ours will be breathin' a little bit easier with a Land Shark Outfitters SharkNet come next summer ;)

And if anyone out there has access to SolidWorks Simulation let me know, I'm up for taking this to the next level with computational fluid dynamic modeling to test some different options in exchange for free goods...

You're killin me. My OEM grille is in need of serious rehab. I'd been planning on finding another OEM ('06/07) and rehabbing it for a quick swap. But now... Really hoping you're heading toward less "Tomb Raider", more "could-be-stock look". Oh, and with the TOYOTA lettering ;)

Last edited:
Thought about doing this a while back but could never find the time to start hacking as I did a similar style with my old 3rd gen 4runner and some gutter mesh. Looks like you are putting a lot of time in this which I'm sure the outcome will be nothing short of awesome

Tonight I spent time figuring out shipping. To anyone developing something to sell on the forum, a) do it, this is an awesome community that needs more stuff, but b) figure out shipping and packaging *during* design if at all possible. You'll be unpleasantly surprised otherwise as dimensional weight formulas collide with available 275 lb test double wall corrugations that run headfirst into your sweet, wonderful creation you've been nurturing from a tiny, fragile dream for months. When I started the KISS Drawers I was given this advice by David over at TrekBoxx, and man was he right. To put it another way, never underestimate the ferocity with which a box can be thrown to alleviate someone's bad day. Or gorillas. With adamantium wolverine claws. Because apparently they get into delivery trucks all the time looking for bananas and get super pissed when all they find are parts for Land Cruisers.

SO. When you're designing, think about how it's going to ship. Change how those two bits bolt together, so one isn't sticking up waiting to be bent. Make something a bit shorter so you can fit it into a standard box (cause custom boxes $uck). You don't have to necessarily change how the final product works or compromise its quality, but this is one case where an ounce of prevention can save you a lb's worth of shipping cost.

I had to make all that interesting because the reality today was just me searching the interwebs for off-the-shelf material I can use to package SharkNet. Not every day in the life of a new product is sparky fun...

Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 6.46.32 PM.png

And for those of you wondering, I am currently estimating per package shipping materials at just under $4, and labor at $1.50 (paid into my son's Nintendo 3DS account).

Awesome!

I may be able to help on the SolidWorks front.... let me check if mine has flow sim installed .... and if I can figure out how to use it properly

Sub’d

Looks promising Dave!

The initial grills will be steel, and while I know many people are cool rattle-canning stuff I have a great PC guy that can give us bulletproof coatings at a good enough price to make it not worth your while - go spend that time on the trail or MUD;)

qN-eF8POCwZG6hDxzqKXHOut9dLQEXg25Pn8tAq9sV_NeX-PapCwePB-m5uphtvL6C_5rrgwkCQ530J_wnO9aNgUX9bWCLVwCG2FeMxWlUM0x49YlaYikKtbvHW4spBYYeshuQVZRX96vzmkWuUCGd4K0li61T8b_8x3IWDqt8Nvryd58ixL70Wq8WW7-CkjBqfyupZ3-3SGZ8mm1Bwsh8oKij6AJevR0vWAGLmzDt04UpGCsCQzDeLG5CGBTWaX5iP2LrL43TrEvwBdwvGbqbclQRY8Kk_5vlygN2bP1Djd8HK0mMX-EBUrT-cVr3qcMi0cuaGvZJb4L3iv-4T1TnhsOWs4PXsqvhfzTeYzRJRtOdX8L_zcU4Q3qO3LvxwO-Dzj9pZa8W8zjXU819LmaCjsnC2liomu5oM18SRWes6fUIjXEqqVEpIkdzJcQPXvJ5Drs-NuFAIXN2ojge2yF2wI-A67GLaDJe84PYBJcq0y1KU8sw2cKT6vsrhMCx6hfMS95ehWK9qhDWqr6xvMfkATmliqfjY0MYSECUvhkMFzi00fmRm9h9MlSNl50QUbvVk-fh-p0p_RIfVbNVVFebxKJw-vPlsOnJ-4rMbQLHI=s630-no

You thought it was tough picking out a new paint color for your living room? Try choosing a simple 'black' sometime - seemingly a million variations with slight blues, purples, greens, reds, puce, flecks, flat, matte, gloss, clear coat - whew. At the end I have 3 to test though, and will have pricing and lead times in a few days to confirm. One more step forward!

Take a look at Evo Gray - a prismatic powder color. It matches the dark charcoal trim... well, at least on the later years.

Take a look at Evo Gray - a prismatic powder color. It matches the dark charcoal trim... well, at least on the later years.
Thanks for the info, I *think* I will be able (without it getting very expensive) to offer PC to match if folks can supply those codes like you did.

I am also looking into stainless steel, but both that and the customs would come after the first couple initial runs - there are always kinks in the manufacturing & supply chain to iron out.

Any votes for Blackberry Sparkle? ;)
db_file_img_7334_325xauto.jpg

When's the unveiling?
All I know for certain is it will be later than I want - every time I walk up to my truck I grit my teeth that it has that stupid plastic grill on it still. As soon as I can give you a better answer I will here & on instagram (land.shark.outfitters)

Last couple days I've gotten pricing back from powdercoat which is better than hoped <yay>, and tested a few material thicknesses for some sheet metal:

upload_2017-11-17_10-15-40.png

I'm tweaking the design here to allow better (safer, less expensive) packaging, but have to ensure it is easy to install and still strong enough.

I've also been trying to find the red/white plastic I need for the TEQ logo and been striking out. Like, it ain't out there as I want, so that sorta sucks. One idea is to go with anodized aluminum and I have samples on the way, need to cut it and get a feel for what the final product look would be. Launching with the traditional black & white 'Toyota' will be no biggie, it's the TEQ that will be tough and unfortunately for me, what I most wanted.

All I know for certain is it will be later than I want - every time I walk up to my truck I grit my teeth that it has that stupid plastic grill on it still. As soon as I can give you a better answer I will here & on instagram (land.shark.outfitters)

Last couple days I've gotten pricing back from powdercoat which is better than hoped <yay>, and tested a few material thicknesses for some sheet metal:

View attachment 1575875

I'm tweaking the design here to allow better (safer, less expensive) packaging, but have to ensure it is easy to install and still strong enough.

I've also been trying to find the red/white plastic I need for the TEQ logo and been striking out. Like, it ain't out there as I want, so that sorta sucks. One idea is to go with anodized aluminum and I have samples on the way, need to cut it and get a feel for what the final product look would be. Launching with the traditional black & white 'Toyota' will be no biggie, it's the TEQ that will be tough and unfortunately for me, what I most wanted.
Anodized will fade quickly- or quick enough for people to complain. Stick with PC.

What type of plastic are you looking for? Extrusion type filament for a 3d printer?

ATTENTION BOUNTY HUNTERS!!!

14b23e62ee3b33bb65f242e28487dacd--the-empire-strikes-back-bounty-hunter.jpg

$50 OFF SHARKNET TO THE FIRST ONE TO DELIVER ME A LINK

I've got too much on my plate so I'm looking to outsource finding this dang red & white plastic. The first person to find me a link to the material that I end up using receives a discount of $50 off SharkNet when it comes out. Transferable to a buddy if you decide the final product look is not for you.

Material must be:
- UV and outdoor rated
- flat sheet that can be CNC routed or laser engraved
- red base material, 1/8" - 1/4" thick
- white top sheet, 1/32 - 1/16" thick
- reasonable minimums, I'm not ordering 40 sheets of 4x8' from a mill. Max total order of 4' x 8', and 2'x 4' preferred to keep shipping costs down.
- Made in the USA
- No 3+ layer stuff, just 2: red & white

Seems like it would be simple, huh? Well, I haven't found it but that doesn't mean it's not out there.

Please email your links to me at landsharkoutfitters@gmail.com, we'll keep this thread on the 100 series stuff, not supply chains for small businesses.

Good hunting!

Quick update that I slowed down on this to focus on finishing the Chum Bucket prototyping, build shelving in my garage, and all the normal stuff for a big KISS Drawers order - they will soon be *stocked* not 4-6 week lead times!

Still moving on SharkNet though:

- I got a big piece back from plasma yesterday, material cut well and he is getting me solid pricing.

- Powdercoater gets material to test coat on today.

- Couple sheet metal parts out to shops for quote (and hopefully fast prototyping) today.

- Some material feedback on the bounty - thank you guys! No 100% solution yet though so if anyone has time, hop in there.

- Picking up prototype of the TEQ today on whatever material just to check size and attachment idea

No, I'm not sleeping much.

Once I have a 90% proto I will share with everyone for thoughts and feedback - stay tuned!

Picked up a proto logo yesterday and am digging it:

upload_2017-11-22_13-2-45.png

I still don't have an ideal red with white top material (the sides would be red instead of white) - bounty still open!

I'm also thinking of offering the logos as an adder so if people want the beautiful aluminum ones by BH3D they can buy those instead - thoughts? (I've also reached out to see about buying and stocking his)

If you have a minute can you please answer a poll on what emblem you would want?
SharkNet Grill Emblem

Ranking- it wont allow to choose just one - and none of the other options interest me sooooo my 1 ranked choice is a Large T O Y O T A emblem. As seem on the flex dream grill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom