Considering LX470, Worth It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where is the vehicle? If there is rust, I would walk.

I just did a rack on my '99 LX w/ 167k, you will spend $800 if you do it yourself.
Then I bought tires, plan on another $1k.

I think someone said plan on dumping $4k in repairs after you get it? Sounds very possible.

Is this thing super clean? I am guessing "No" if she needs all this @130k...

It does have 36 records on the Carfax, and was at a Toyota Dealer, and a Lexus dealer, in the past 2k miles, though. It is definitely not the best example, and certainly seems to not be worth grabbing.

They have sent it to auction, and it has not sold, haha. I think it has been sent to auction several times, in fact. I am not sure if it has not sold because they have too high of a reserve, but it has definitely been to auction already.

There you go! You could offer them $8k, take it or suck it and see what they say...

Where is the vehicle? If there is rust, I would walk.

I just did a rack on my '99 LX w/ 167k, you will spend $800 if you do it yourself.
Then I bought tires, plan on another $1k.

I think someone said plan on dumping $4k in repairs after you get it? Sounds very possible.

Is this thing super clean? I am guessing "No" if she needs all this @130k...

No, it is not super clean. It isn't terrible, but not great. Rear bumper needs to be replaced (but isn't a disaster). Worst body damage is on the front, it looks like they turned into a corner, or something, as there is a perfectly straight, maybe 12" sharp indent. Aside from that, it is pretty clean. Normal wear/tear.

It 100% needs tires, 90k service, and steering rack. I am guessing, all of that, is nearly $5k at a shop. I could probably get the axles done, with that $5k. I suppose that is a bit crazy, but then again, from my experience, it does seem that most Cruisers need $2k-$3k worth of work to be "perfect", after picking one up.

There you go! You could offer them $8k, take it or suck it and see what they say...

I tried. I did think that since it has not sold at auction, that they would accept a low offer, but no. The salesman said they have had several deals fall through, and that they have had it for awhile. My brain tells me that means it isn't worth buying, but then again, maybe it is a great deal (half joking).

They have sent it to auction, and it has not sold, haha. I think it has been sent to auction several times, in fact. I am not sure if it has not sold because they have too high of a reserve, but it has definitely been to auction already.

Tells you everything you need to know about it then. If the guys at the auction won't buy it, you DARN sure don't want it.

I know its hard to wait, but a 'good' one will show up. You need to have 'Money in Hand', so you can act right away when one comes up for sale. Be willing to do some traveling (none of your markets are more than 3 hrs away). Check listings EVERY DAY.

They don't last long. Be ready to move on one. It will happen, just give it time.

I tried. I did think that since it has not sold at auction, that they would accept a low offer, but no. The salesman said they have had several deals fall through, and that they have had it for awhile. My brain tells me that means it isn't worth buying, but then again, maybe it is a great deal (half joking).

Take it or suck it. I would walk...

^^^^^^ There ya go. A contender right away.
Always ask for full pictures of the drivers seat (no cut off pics) AND of the undercarriage (don't buy rust)! There is NO REASON for anyone living in TEXAS to buy a rusty vehicle.

That one isn't bad, for sure.

Tells you everything you need to know about it then. If the guys at the auction won't buy it, you DARN sure don't want it.

I know its hard to wait, but a 'good' one will show up. You need to have 'Money in Hand', so you can act right away when one comes up for sale. Be willing to do some traveling (none of your markets are more than 3 hrs away). Check listings EVERY DAY.

They don't last long. Be ready to move on one. It will happen, just give it time.

Just want to say thanks for the advice. Late last night I checked online one more time, before heading to bed, and found a very clean looking 06'. The owner, to our luck, lived 15 min away, and I went to see it at 8am. He was great, the Cruiser was better than described, and the maintenance history was the best I have ever seen. I spent 30 min on the phone with the shops, going over everything done. They all knew him by name, and said that if they were to be buying a Cruiser, it would 100% be this one. When I asked them to go over the history, they laughed and said, "Where do we start".

We were lucky in that the owner worked with us, price wise, and we got it. Very lucky. Thanks again for the advice. I continue to love this forum. A solid mix of luck, and an extremely nice seller made for a great experience, and hopefully a Cruiser that will last a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom