Considering LX470, Worth It? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone.

I am considering an 04' LX. The price is pretty low, but for obvious reasons. According to the dealership, they have had it for awhile, and it needs the following:

- Left front shock leaking
- suspension fluid
- right front axle
- left front axle
- Steering rack is "dropping", full replacement
- tires done, needs all 4
- timing belt/water pump
- crank seals
- cam seals
- alignment
- 2 actuators need replacement

When I looked over the history, online, it was brought into dealerships consistently. It did not seem like service was ignored, but at the same time, it does need a decent amount of work.

My guess is I would do the 90k service, make sure the Heater T is replaced, get tires....and then take my time with the rest. I know the steering rack is pricey to have done, so I would hope it wouldn't be needed right away.

Also, on one of the Lexus records, it said that the previous owner brought the truck in and complained about the transmission, but that the dealership could not replicate the issue. They also noted that the owner states the transmission had recently been rebuilt (around 90k miles), which was surprising, as they tend to be reliable.

It also could use a new rear bumper (scrapes/scratches), and has one rather pronounced dent on the passenger side/front.

My question to all the experts is, is there a price where you would think it is worth getting. I really am leaning towards the "buy a better example Cruiser", but it is low mileage (130K), which is nice. It is out of state, which makes the decision a bit more difficult. I know most used Cruisers need some work, often similar to this, but I felt it was worth asking everyone's opinions.

Thanks in advance!!

You don't mention a price, would be helpful to comment on value.

You can easily ditch the AHC system if it's dead and stick a new lift kit on there for about $1000.

You don't mention a price, would be helpful to comment on value.

You can easily ditch the AHC system if it's dead and stick a new lift kit on there for about $1000.

Yea, I know I can ditch the AHC. I wouldn't if it just needed one shock. The price is still a bit up in the air, and I would need to ship it, but we are looking at around $14k.

I know the going rate is likely around $18k, and for that you can likely get a cleaner example, but really I was wondering "what would you all be willing to pay, sight unseen?" What I mean by that is, at what price would you say, "It almost doesn't matter what is wrong, it is too cheap not to buy", if that makes sense.

The dealer has done a decent job of telling me what is wrong, but they are also selling it 100% as-is, no warranty, no guarantees of any sort.

For me, that is too high for a truck with out working suspension! Plus all the other stuff that it needs. It's way more than 4k worth of work at the dealer, and that's why they haven't done it. Offer them 9. You can do better.

For me, that is too high for a truck with out working suspension! Plus all the other stuff that it needs. It's way more than 4k worth of work at the dealer, and that's why they haven't done it. Offer them 9. You can do better.

Yea. I don't think the whole suspension needs to go, but if it did, I would put on the OEM lift. I tried getting the price down, and they did work with me, some, but still, with shipping the LX, I would be into it for $13k, or so. Once I add in title, it gets closer to $14k.

I tried to get them to throw in tires, or do the timing belt job, but they really won't do anything. At this point it is the "take it or leave it". I do feel like most Cruisers need the axles done, many need the timing belt, tires, things like that. The biggest cost seems to be the steering rack, and the transmission concerns me some, especially considering it was already done once before. Granted, many people say they had similar issues, and they were fine as long as you flushed them once every 40k.

From what I am finding, that is a high price. Given the work required that seems like it is more of a 11-12 ball park. This is especially so give that it is an LX. They tend to sell for less than the LC.

Seems high given the work that is needed...I would think $7k-$9k for the truck as you are looking at probably $4k in repairs..$14k is what you should have in it after shipping and repairing and new tires...
(rough estimate, 9+4 doesn't make 14)

From what I am finding, that is a high price. Given the work required that seems like it is more of a 11-12 ball park. This is especially so give that it is an LX. They tend to sell for less than the LC.

Yea, the LX do seem to go for less, for sure. The car does have records going back a long way, so the person wasn't ignoring maintenance. I don't understand how the dealers didn't tell them to do the 90k work, but not the end of the world. Most people don't sell their Cruisers right after doing it, they sell them right before it is due, so that isn't a big surprise.

I know these Cruisers are amazing, but I also know they can get expensive, very quickly, if issues are ignored. I will try to work on the price some more. If you were in the market, at what price would you say to yourself, "I am buying it right now, despite what may be wrong with it".

The dealer said "there may be more wrong with it, who knows", and they offer no guarantees, so I just want to be sure. I did do a FaceTime, and it seems to run well, but still.

I wouldn’t pay more than 10 for that honestly, you can find much better deals out there, get something with higher miles and in better condition. Don’t chase after the low mileage in these vehicles, it’s basically pointless as they last for a very long time.

I wouldn’t pay more than 10 for that honestly, you can find much better deals out there, get something with higher miles and in better condition. Don’t chase after the low mileage in these vehicles, it’s basically pointless as they last for a very long time.

Yea, that is what I have done, in the past. My last one was an 01', 230k miles. I am hoping for a newer/lower mileage Cruiser now, and just randomly happened upon this one.

I would prefer 150k miles, with all the work done, or even higher mileage...but it is difficult to find. I know I should be patient, but this one has me interested.

Is there any benefit to an 05', vs an 03'? I think 06'+ were changed, but I don't think 03'-05', aside from maybe the navigation screen.

Yea, that is what I have done, in the past. My last one was an 01', 230k miles. I am hoping for a newer/lower mileage Cruiser now, and just randomly happened upon this one.

I would prefer 150k miles, with all the work done, or even higher mileage...but it is difficult to find. I know I should be patient, but this one has me interested.

Is there any benefit to an 05', vs an 03'? I think 06'+ were changed, but I don't think 03'-05', aside from maybe the navigation screen.
03-05 are all about the same. 06-07 were primarily just a more powerful engine and AHC. Where are you located?

I am buying this vehicle right now. PPI is tomorrow just to confirm everything is in order. I paid asking as I feel it was a very fair price as the seller was so meticulous in caring for the vehicle. For Sale - 1999 UZj100 - TRD Supercharger, 3xLocked, ICON 2.5, 4:88, White

This is a car I would be checking into if I hadn't found the 99 first:
2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD Low Miles

Better deals to be found. For ex, a clean 00' LC100 grew up in So Cal (no rust) with 109k miles and nothing is needed. White...Going for 14k

How is the frame rust on this one? Where are you located exactly? Maybe local mudders have some leads on decent trucks, and check the classifieds..

Rust looked good. It was all over the place, state wise. Mainly Florida, then Tennessee. I did not notice any rust, at least nothing that stood out. I did a FaceTime, and it seemed to run well. The dealer is basically calling it a "parts car", so that there won't be any complaints from the buyer.

Better deals to be found. For ex, a clean 00' LC100 grew up in So Cal (no rust) with 109k miles and nothing is needed. White...Going for 14k

Yea, but I really do not want a 98-02', at this point. I do prefer the 03'+, they feel a bit more modern. If you plan on turning it into an Overland, then 98-02' are perfect, but I really will just DD it with the wife/baby, so more creature comfort, the better. I also prefer the 5-speed, if possible.

03-05 are all about the same. 06-07 were primarily just a more powerful engine and AHC. Where are you located?

I am buying this vehicle right now. PPI is tomorrow just to confirm everything is in order. I paid asking as I feel it was a very fair price as the seller was so meticulous in caring for the vehicle. For Sale - 1999 UZj100 - TRD Supercharger, 3xLocked, ICON 2.5, 4:88, White

This is a car I would be checking into if I hadn't found the 99 first:
2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 4WD Low Miles

I am in Austin (TX). Love that 06', but was trying to spend less than $20+. If I spend that much, I would be temped to get a 100k mileage GX460.

I'd take my time and keep looking. I've seen plenty of 03+ 100s with decent mileage around your price range and try to purchase around here (TX). Less of a hassle.

I'd take my time and keep looking. I've seen plenty of 03+ 100s with decent mileage around your price range and try to purchase around here (TX). Less of a hassle.

Yea. I have looked at a few 03', but all of them, recently, have been pretty bad. Finding one locally is ideal, though.

Yea. I have looked at a few 03', but all of them, recently, have been pretty bad. Finding one locally is ideal, though.

Wait for something better. If you are in Austin, then you have the Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio markets to watch.

Took me a couple of months of looking, but found my pristine LX470 in Houston. Of course after the recent flooding there, you will need to be certain anything out of that area was not flooded and put up for sale.

My advice: Be patient, buy a Southern vehicle with no rust. Don't jump at 'low mileage'. Yes, its desirable, but not an indication of the condition of the vehicle. The one you described in your earlier post has too many issues for a vehicle of that mileage and age.

The 'dealer' that has the one you are looking at....is not going to put any money into it. They are trying to unload it on someone before they are forced to send it to Auction (where it belongs). I'd walk away from that one. There are better ones out there, just wait.

Wait for something better. If you are in Austin, then you have the Austin, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio markets to watch.

Took me a couple of months of looking, but found my pristine LX470 in Houston. Of course after the recent flooding there, you will need to be certain anything out of that area was not flooded and put up for sale.

My advice: Be patient, buy a Southern vehicle with no rust. Don't jump at 'low mileage'. Yes, its desirable, but not an indication of the condition of the vehicle. The one you described in your earlier post has too many issues for a vehicle of that mileage and age.

The 'dealer' that has the one you are looking at....is not going to put any money into it. They are trying to unload it on someone before they are forced to send it to Auction (where it belongs). I'd walk away from that one. There are better ones out there, just wait.

They have sent it to auction, and it has not sold, haha. I think it has been sent to auction several times, in fact. I am not sure if it has not sold because they have too high of a reserve, but it has definitely been to auction already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom