Need New Fuel Tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay, I found a site called ToyotaPartsDeal.com which I was able to get the numbers I needed. As far as what I called the filler tube, that part is call a Fuel Tank Filler Pipe. It looks like the tank itself is $275 less than the dealer. Before I order if anyone can give me any other options it definitely would be appreciated.

I'm in need of a tank, all I have found new or used is $600 & up.

Were did you get your tank from? How much?

Thank you for your time.

Has anyone tried to bolster the area that commonly cracks on top of the tank by welding on a patch or something? I am going to be replacing my tank next spring, mostly due to rust present on the exterior, but I am worried that the new(used) tank might get the crack that we are seeing many of them get. If I could prevent that from happening, I would feel better about the situation.

Has anyone tried to bolster the area that commonly cracks on top of the tank by welding on a patch or something? I am going to be replacing my tank next spring, mostly due to rust present on the exterior, but I am worried that the new(used) tank might get the crack that we are seeing many of them get. If I could prevent that from happening, I would feel better about the situation.
Consider how many years went by before the few tanks that cracked did crack.

If you're worried about exterior corrosion, coat it in bedliner before you install it. I have three 80s with no damaged tanks, other than superficial surface rust. I cleaned one with 400 grit sandpaper after I took it out and resprayed it. Where is the crack you're referring to?

Might be pretty hard to duplicate the compound curves at the common failure point, but it would be an interesting test.

@98 SNAKE EATER did his at one point here:

Replacement gas tank......what are my options?

There is another VERY large thread about the leaking tanks, but I could not find it in my brief search today.

To the OP:

Didn't you already buy one replacement tank for this? Did that one not work out? What happened with the tank and the rust? Let us know so we know what issues to watch for.

I had a leaking tank a couple years ago and bought a used one from @slow95z in GA. He cleaned it all up for me, we discussed packaging and freight and shipped it out, along with some other parts.

When I got it, it was nice and clean on the inside. I had asked him to clean it, rinse with alcohol and such so he could ship it with no fuel smell. Then he stretch wrapped the tank enough so it looked like a green cocoon. I was very happy with what I got. I installed it about 6 months later and it was still as clean as the day I received it.

I also changed my charcoal canister about 2 weeks before I changed the tank (no point installing a replacement tank if you don't fix the real problem!)

I've run it another 25K and no issues at all! I used my original fuel pump and sock (because it was still clean) and installed all with new gaskets. I coated the exterior of the tank with two coats of POR-15 to help offset any chance of future rust and I installed new rubber gasket strips where it touches the body.

Thanks for the input. I am not sure exactly where the spot that people report the tank leaking, but I do remember seeing at least one pic somewhere on here that showed a crack on the top where the tank contours.

I think I am just going to sand and POR15 mine and jam it in. I have a new charcoal canister and I switched to premium fuel after reading enough bad stuff about ethanol to convince me that it was worth the extra cash for the good gas. The truck does seem to run better on premium and I think the increase in MPG almost offsets the extra cost.

Thanks for the input. I am not sure exactly where the spot that people report the tank leaking, but I do remember seeing at least one pic somewhere on here that showed a crack on the top where the tank contours.

I think I am just going to sand and POR15 mine and jam it in. I have a new charcoal canister and I switched to premium fuel after reading enough bad stuff about ethanol to convince me that it was worth the extra cash for the good gas. The truck does seem to run better on premium and I think the increase in MPG almost offsets the extra cost.

Here I. The Phoenix area regular and premium both have the same% of ethanol. Can't excape it.

Here I. The Phoenix area regular and premium both have the same% of ethanol. Can't excape it.

My Tacoma is from that area and it ran really rough when I bought it. After a tune up and several tanks of ethanol free gas, it now runs much, much better.

Ethanol just seems dumb on a number of levels but the fact that it causes issues in older trucks is enough to make me adamantly opposed to it.

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned https://www.gastankrenu.com. ?

On their website it states "Holes in the Tank can be Repaired" which isn't very specific. I don't think that any type of coating will be adequate to repair the "cracked" LC tanks as it is more structural flaw than what a "hole" would be. Unfortunately they don't have any locations near me and I would want to see examples of the tanks they have repaired.

I would never coat the interior of a gasoline tank on any of my cars, classic or otherwise.

They state a non-transferrable limited lifetime warranty. If they really wanted to back it up, it would be transferrable.

I have yet to hear of an interior coating that has worked for more than ten years.

I had a Jeep CJ tank done many years ago. I remember it came out great. I saw the process and liked how the old tank was blasted, prepped and sealed.
I haven't had the need to fix a gas tank again, knock on wood, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom